You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2015 5:56 pm  #1

Magnetawan Lake Access Point #3

First off thanks for accepting me in the AA forum.

This Sunday some friends and I are heading into the interior for our annual portage trip.  This year we're starting our trip from access point #3.  I've never started at this point before but have heard good things.  I'm taking a first timer into backcountry and am hoping we will see some wildlife.  Last year we were stumped, minus loons.

Our route takes us from Magnetawan-Hambon-Daisy-Petawawa River-Little Misty Lake (staying there the 1st night)-Misty-Petawawa-Grassy Bay (night 2)-MacIntosh Creek-MacIntosh-Timberwolf-Misty (night 3)-Ralph Bice (night 4) then out.

I was wondering if any members have completed this route? What your thoughts are on it? 

Thanks for your help and allowing me into your group.

Chris

8/19/2015 6:25 pm  #2

Re: Magnetawan Lake Access Point #3

Hi Chris,
My brother, and I along with his son and son-in-law did a loop close to what you have planned and it was wonderful! Lots of moose but ya never know as they say.  Sounds like a great trip! I would do this again in a heart beat. Here is a link to the TR we took a few years ago and loved it. Have a great trip and looking forward to hearing about your trip!

http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/AWojewodka/

Regards,
           Andy W

8/19/2015 6:54 pm  #3

Thanks Andy! I will definitely read your trip report.  I'll be sure to let you know how we fare as well.

8/19/2015 9:57 pm  #4

Did almost this exact route back in July. Saw one moose on Misty Lake right after hearing one walk past our site. Pretty sure on Little Misty we listened to what sounded like a moose rubbing his antlers on a tree right across from the site. The site itself was nothing special but being the only ones on the lake was pretty cool. Never had that before. Overall the area was incredible. I loved the Petawawa from Misty to Grassy Bay (altough we went from Grassy Bay to Misty instead)  On Misty we stayed on site 17 (pci #) and loved it. Landing wasn't the easiest but the view was awesome as it is up on a bit of a cliff.  That is where we saw the moose.  You'll love the area I'm sure

8/20/2015 6:58 am  #5

I've done the exact same route as you except in fewer/longer days -- I went down to Misty on the first day and stayed in one spot there for 2 nights while doing your days 2-3 as a day trip and then leaving via the Tim River and Ralph Bice on day 3. Needless to say it was a pretty exhausting trip and yours will be more relaxing, though the first day (Mag to Misty) wasn't anything crazy. In any case it was my best trip ever for moose, I think I saw like 10, most of them on Misty but one cow and calf on Daisy. We also just missed seeing a bull on McIntosh Creek according to some paddlers we passed. I've also done shorter variations on this route a couple of times and seen a moose or two. I've never seen moose on the "return" leg (Tim-Queer-Little Trout-Ralph Bice), but it's an interesting route, and if you have time on your last day you could make an early morning side trip from Ralph Bice to David Creek in search of more wildlife.

Caveat here is that all my trips in that area have been between mid May and mid July, which is when moose rely most heavily on wetland vegetation; I'm not really sure if late August will be as good. But I still feel like your chances are decent.

If there's availability, consider changing your first night to Misty. It's a nicer lake than Little Misty and there's more moose. 

In terms of campsites, on Misty I've stayed at PCI sites 5, 19 and 20, and I liked all of them. 19 was my favourite overall and 20 was a little better for privacy. Both 19 and 20 have a view of the little bay on the south shore where the creek comes in from Muslim Lake, which moose seem to frequent.

8/20/2015 8:04 am  #6

I haven't done that trip yet, but we did Magnetwan - Little Eagle Lake for short weekend trip. It's long drive in to the put in and very bumpy with potholes but it's all worth it. I hope to be back up there at some point and perhaps trythat route next time. Enjoy!

8/20/2015 9:01 am  #7

FYI, I just noticed that there's now a low water advisory for the Petawawa between Misty Lake and Grassy Bay. I'm wondering (hoping) if maybe the rain in the park this week will roll back some of the low water advisories. Maybe consult with the park staff and outfitters in Kearney about how bad it's likely to be... if that stretch of the Pet is really impassable, you'll have to go to Grassy Bay on day 2 by the same route you'll take back to Misty on day 3... I know it's more fun to loop but be flexible.

8/20/2015 10:42 am  #8

Darn ... planning to be on the Petawawa between Misty and Grassy Bay next week. Does anyone know if it's passable or is this info only available when heading into the park (on Sunday)??

8/20/2015 6:55 pm  #9

DanPM wrote:

FYI, I just noticed that there's now a low water advisory for the Petawawa between Misty Lake and Grassy Bay. I'm wondering (hoping) if maybe the rain in the park this week will roll back some of the low water advisories. Maybe consult with the park staff and outfitters in Kearney about how bad it's likely to be... if that stretch of the Pet is really impassable, you'll have to go to Grassy Bay on day 2 by the same route you'll take back to Misty on day 3... I know it's more fun to loop but be flexible.

Dan,

Thanks for the heads up.  I had just checked the other day and they didn't have one.  Someone must have come through that way and reported it.  I will definitely ask some staff about how passable it is.  Like you say worse case we go in the same way we come out.  Would like to do the loop but we can only control so much.

Also thanks for taking the time to write up your first reply.  There is a ton of great information.  I will talk to the other gents who are going about your idea about staying on Misty night 1. 

I think we will definitely will check out David creek like you suggested. 

We are heading up this Sunday (23rd).  Unfortunately this will likely be my only trip into the interior for this year but once is better than 0. 

I will let you know how we far in terms of the river passage and the wildlife.

8/20/2015 6:58 pm  #10

occcanuck wrote:

Did almost this exact route back in July. Saw one moose on Misty Lake right after hearing one walk past our site. Pretty sure on Little Misty we listened to what sounded like a moose rubbing his antlers on a tree right across from the site. The site itself was nothing special but being the only ones on the lake was pretty cool. Never had that before. Overall the area was incredible. I loved the Petawawa from Misty to Grassy Bay (altough we went from Grassy Bay to Misty instead)  On Misty we stayed on site 17 (pci #) and loved it. Landing wasn't the easiest but the view was awesome as it is up on a bit of a cliff.  That is where we saw the moose.  You'll love the area I'm sure

Oh man!  That would be a cool sight, a nice big bull moose rubbing his antlers.  Although my photography skills are lack luster lol.  A friend and I are bringing GoPro's so maybe we can get some vids of wildlife. 
Thanks for the info on the route as well.  Hopefully the Pet. Is passable from Misty to Grassy Bay

8/20/2015 7:01 pm  #11

Hass wrote:

I haven't done that trip yet, but we did Magnetwan - Little Eagle Lake for short weekend trip. It's long drive in to the put in and very bumpy with potholes but it's all worth it. I hope to be back up there at some point and perhaps trythat route next time. Enjoy!

Hass,

Thanks for the info. Regarding the road to the access point.  I've heard good things and bad about it.  We will be on the lookout for those potholes.

I will let you know how the route goes for your future travels.

8/20/2015 7:04 pm  #12

tomja wrote:

Darn ... planning to be on the Petawawa between Misty and Grassy Bay next week. Does anyone know if it's passable or is this info only available when heading into the park (on Sunday)??

Tomja,

You're also heading up on Sunday?  We're going to be doing this stretch of the Pet. On Monday (if water levels permit). 

Enjoy your trip!  Maybe we will run into one another in the trails.

8/21/2015 6:48 am  #13

I've been through this area many times and it is very enjoyable with lots of potential for wildlife sightings. It's definitely a favourite of mine.

As @Hass has said, the road in/out can be rough from time to time. I got a flat tire on the way out a couple years ago; I likely would have been fine if I was driving a little more mindful of the road conditions. Just be aware of the potholes and bigger rocks in the roadway and you should be fine.

Enjoy your trip!

8/21/2015 7:18 am  #14

jmedelaney

Glad to hear you and so many others enjoy this route so much.  We're pretty excited for the trip.

I'm hoping we see some wildlife, that's always a really nice bonus.  There's 4 of us going, 3 of us go every year but this year we're bringing a first timer.  I think seeing a moose and hearing the loons would lock Algonquin in his heart forever. 

As for the road, we will definitely be taking our time and keeping a watchful eye.

8/21/2015 8:24 am  #15

ChrisMcD wrote:

tomja wrote:

Tomja,

You're also heading up on Sunday? We're going to be doing this stretch of the Pet. On Monday (if water levels permit).

Enjoy your trip! Maybe we will run into one another in the trails.

ChrisMcD;

We are running a day behind you --- planning to pass through that section on Tuesday. Guess you'll have first kick at the can 
Hope all goes well with you and you never know, we may meet up along the way ......

8/21/2015 6:40 pm  #16

Thanks!

I'll be the guy in the green camouflage bucket hat.  If you happen to see that, say hello.
If we don't run into one another have a safe trip too.

8/31/2015 12:30 pm  #17

Back from my trip through AP3:
Magnetewan->Hambone->Ralph Bice->Little Trout->Queer->Little Misty->Misty->Petawawa->White Trout->Grassy Bay->McIntosh Marsh->McIntosh->Timberwolf->Misty->Little Misty-> Petawawa->Daisy->Hambone->Magnetawan

No problems with water levels on Petawawa either direction.
Water is lower than last year through lower section of McIntosh Marsh - main channel disappears and you just need to slog through in the general direction of the portage to McIntosh.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.