You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/04/2020 7:37 am  #1

"Algonquin - Defining Moments"

Gaye Clemson has been a supporting advertiser on the website for many years.

Recently she has added podcasts, videos and slide-shows to her website. Her podcast series is called 'Algonquin Defining Moments' and can be reached directly at .. https://www.algonquinparkheritage.com/podcast-pics-and-vids.html

12/04/2020 8:33 am  #2

Re: "Algonquin - Defining Moments"

wow - there are a lot of really great historic photos in that link. I've never seen the actual bridge over potter creek until now. Very cool!

12/08/2020 10:28 am  #3

Peek wrote:

wow - there are a lot of really great historic photos in that link. I've never seen the actual bridge over potter creek until now. Very cool!

Agreed, really cool. I've always just pictured the old Potter Creek bridge as being flat.

I was trying to reconcile the Before and After pictures of the Omanique Sawmill.  The roof lines don't seem to add up unless in the After picture what we are seeing is the west (?) wall of the lower of the two buildings that attach to the main smokestack in the Before picture?  In the ruins we have looked at that square "chimney" but couldn't quit envision how it worked - is it the support for that tall smoke stack?

And in the past I posted some photos of the odd circular structure at water level that i usually tie a canoe to when visiting the ruins.  Never could figure out what that was but it looks like the base of the sawdust burner?

Went back to see if i could find an old post with the image of the potential sawdust burner base:  https://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2635  

Last edited by GordK (12/08/2020 10:45 am)

3/08/2021 12:56 pm  #4

Sorry, I"m so late in replying but yes the cement structure now full of balsam trees is the base of the sawdust burner as seen in the picture posted. On my site there is one picture (APMA #1270) where you can see the base. The part that I've never in all these years been able to figure out is (APMA#1273) seems to be so much closer to the creek than the ruins - I guess its just the perspective of the shot.  Note that APMA#5850 is taken from the second floor of the saw mill looking south down Potter Creek full of logs.   Gaye

Last edited by clemsong (3/08/2021 12:56 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.