You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2020 12:04 am  #18

Re: Reservations

I apologize, you’re correct, my screen had sunk down a bit and it was the Quantico price I accidentally quoted. Algonquin is $12.43 as you stated.

11/29/2020 6:42 am  #19

Peek wrote:

Griz.. you trippin. Smoke a fatty and relax.

go screw yourself! did you even BOTHER to READ my reply??
I'm not even talking about shortening the window!!!
all I'm asking is that a percentage is kept back to allow ALL user equal access!!!!!

11/29/2020 8:53 am  #20

In a world of social distancing, screwing myself would probably be the safest option. Thanks for looking out

Last edited by Peek (11/29/2020 8:55 am)

11/29/2020 9:48 am  #21

Holding a percentage back could certainly be added to the long list of requested changes to the system.

To be honest though it likely isn't even worth the colourful discussion here. Do we really believe the brain trust that recently "Improved" the system could implement something like that? Heck I'm still waiting for the number of sites booked to be added back..

But really for me it comes back to the fact that it isn't in their best interest. I mean does Expedia hold back a percentage of flights and hotel rooms? No and they never will because they want to sell out as quickly as possible.

Really how big of a problem is it? I have booked lots of AP trips with a weeks notice in the middle of summer.. now grant you I'm not booking lakes close to access points or trying to book Little Eagle lake.. I'm willing to do some portaging. That said I booked 2 trips to Killarney to easy access lakes this year one well under a month window. Got great sites on popular lakes.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

11/30/2020 7:05 am  #22

@Peek - a possible answer to your inquiry (although I don't know the full fee structure) is that the park makes its money on reservation and has a lower profit margin on the activities of changes or cancellations.  Therefore, a shorter window would reduce the number of changes/cancellations and contribute more towards the higher profit activities.  Just a theory based upon business sensibilities.

11/30/2020 9:39 am  #23

I'm getting in on this pretty late, but for what little it is worth, I like the longer window (5 months).  I've never tried to game it, but my windows of opportunity to arrange trips that work with both family and work schedules are narrow.  So, as soon as I can be confident in trips dates, I book a reservation. 

The system rewards the ability to plan well in advance.  We've all seen people polling this site looking for help planning a last minute route, then realizing that their route will be dictated more by availability than anything else.  That won't change, whether the window is 5 months or 1 month, but if it were narrowed to a 1 month window, getting the route you want would be like keeping a hand poised over your electronic device of choice, waiting for concert tickets go on sale.

11/30/2020 10:07 am  #24

I would be curious how other provinces and states regulate permits. I like to assume that Ontario Parks did some research in comparable state and provincial parks in North America to come up with this policy but I’m also fully aware that it may have just been a local decision with nothing but anecdotal evidence as it’s base.

I think the 5 month window probably works for the vast majority of people. Planners obviously love it and I counted myself among the planners until I had kids with sports and school commitments that have derailed a number of trips over the last few years leaving me scrambling. Luckily we aren’t unwilling to paddle a few extra portages or hike a little farther or drive to a further access than most so we can make it work.

I guess what I would like to see would be some kind of notification system that would tell people when a cancellation on a lake you wanted to visit happened. Say you wanted to go to Joe lake or Pen on a weekend in July. Those fill up quickly but I suspect people who have booked months in advance have to cancel from time to time, it would be nice to get an email to say it’s suddenly available. That’s a pretty complex system, probably far beyond the cheap system
In place now but hey, I can dream.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.