You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2016 10:53 am  #18

Re: Clear water

I remember Sudbury in 1963,  I thought we had arrived on the moon. Sulfuric acid from local smelters turned the lakes weird colors and we were told not to swim in them. There were no trees.  Killarney is a bit closer to Sudbury.  We drove through Algonquin too and it was more treed though not as heavily as today.( the following year we went canoeing and the Barnet Depot still had stuff in it)

I'm old

1/13/2016 12:32 pm  #19

I remember Sudbury like that, too.  Probably 20 years later.  IIRC, NASA sent the astronauts there to train for the moon landings.  What a dreary place it was.

I also remember the first time I saw photos of Killarney, with those shimmering white cliffs.  Now, those cliffs are covered in greenery.

The major effect in Algonquin was in the headwaters.  Clear water...sign of death.  I suppose the acid was dissipated by the time it got as far as Algonquin, and didn't have the same destructive, visible, effect on the trees that far away.  The less noticeable effect being to kill the water.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

1/13/2016 1:07 pm  #20

egad we are talking like my grandmother used to.

1/13/2016 3:27 pm  #21

Aylen lake on the east side is very clear.  Prob clearest I have seen. Not technically in the  park but has park access point.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.