You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2020 2:02 pm  #1

Thanksgiving Solo on Ragged Lake - Trip Report

My last trip report for the season - Thanksgiving Solo on Ragged Lake. I shared a video from this trip a few weeks ago, and finally had time to finish the full report with 50+ pictures and 13 campsite reports. If you're looking for something to do on this cold, snowy Sunday afternoon, feel free to give it a read and let me know what you think

https://algonquinbeyond.com/trip-reports/thanksgiving-solo-on-ragged-lake/ 

Last edited by trippythings (11/22/2020 2:02 pm)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

11/22/2020 4:20 pm  #2

Re: Thanksgiving Solo on Ragged Lake - Trip Report

Awesome stuff man!  I really enjoy your trip reports.  The combo of video, pics and narrative are really engaging.  Loving the night shots too!

11/22/2020 5:09 pm  #3

Thanks Steve! I was surprised to see a clear night after such thick overcast for most of the day... but hey I'm not complaining

algonquinbeyond.com

11/23/2020 4:32 pm  #4

The I'm-a-tough-guy t-shirt and shorts thing lasts right up until somebody has to admit that they are actually cold, at which point it is too late to get warm no matter what additional freezing cold clothing is put on. The PFD thing is a whole different matter.

Those chipmunks are something else.  I've always hung a waterproof stuff sack with food and have never had anybody try to get in, but obviously it would never stand up to the abuse that plastic lid did.  But it gives me a thought.

Recently I spotted some no-longer-in use mouse holes along the back patio of my dad's house (trying to sell it).  The buggers chewed holes right through the cinder block!  I balled up steel wool with caulk, stuck that in the hole, then finished it with caulking.  Apparently that works well (dad had birdfeeders forever back there, so I'm sure the mice thought hey, why don't we just chew a little hole or five here, and we can live in comfort with a constant year-round food source fifteen feet away?  Sounds like a plan.  But it sort of gives me an idea. 

Steel wool would be a bad choice for this, but a copper Chore Boy scouring pad, kind of pulled apart and maybe duct-taped to the edge of the lid might do the trick, or if you made something in advance, like a halo with the copper chore boy secured to it that could be placed on the lid when you store it would work.  I don't know what else to suggest.  Maybe food barrel makers should start infusing little metal strands of steel wool right into their plastic lids to annoy would-be chewers....uh-huh.

That amount of chewing and damage is just astounding.  That took quite a while to achieve, so that was a pretty determined animal or two.

Well, another thought - battery operated stobe/motion light on top of the barrel.  That wouldn't be annoying.  I had a mouse that wanted in our tent a couple of years ago, it wouldn't leave and I couldn't figure out why because I keep a very food-free tent.  I positioned a flashlight at the tent door, pointed away from the tent and that was it for the mouse that night.  (The next day I discovered a granola bar wrapper in a jacket pocket.  That's all it took to attract the mouse.)

Terrific report, really enjoyed it.  Really like the photo of the moon!

11/23/2020 6:43 pm  #5

Thanks Dave. I couldn't believe how much of a nuisance those chipmunks were. I had a really bad pair on Little Otterslide a few weeks earlier, but at least they left my barrel alone. Although to your point about tent curiosity, the pair on Little Otterslide for some reason kept scurrying back and forth under my tent... definitely no food or anything nearby, it just peaked their curiosity for some reason.

algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.