You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/26/2020 11:28 am  #1

3-Day Thanksgiving Solo Trip to Ragged Lake

One final getaway for the season. I wanted to go all the way down to McGarvey, but the weather wasn't looking too great so I decided to have a lazy end to the season and went into Ragged for two nights. The first night I had the lake to myself which is always nice on otherwise busy lakes.

Here's the video from the trip. I'm still working on the written trip report and will share that too once I have it finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3jdZhvWoE4

If you enjoy the vid feel free to subscribe on YouTube so you can get automatically notified when I start posting videos again next year

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

10/26/2020 12:57 pm  #2

Re: 3-Day Thanksgiving Solo Trip to Ragged Lake

That was terrific.  A nice montage of a lot, and a good one to close the season with   Usually I skip through those kinds of things, but not this one.  This one hit me just right somehow.  I miss being able to visit the park so much this year, guess I kind of needed to see something like that.  Thanks -   

Your chipmunk buddy who came up to your chair with that quick "come on, be a pal" look reminded me of my chipmunk encounter in ADK last month.  I was sitting by the firepit, munching trailmix, and I heard a quick critter dashing toward me from behind.  I figured it was a begging chipmunk, so I turned and said "you get outta here!" with a gruff voice.  He took a right turn and dashed into the hollow of a standing birch tree to my right.  I don't think he had any idea I was there, and I scared him half to death when I barked at him.  He stood there motionless for several minutes sizing me up (I had my camera in my lap and got some great closeups of him from my chair) - then when he felt the coast was clear, he took off like a fuzzy little bullet, never to be seen again.  They are very cute when they aren't digging a network of tunnels under your front porch or rummaging through your backpack.

10/26/2020 1:49 pm  #3

Thanks Dave! It's not the most 'exciting' video I've made but I'm really happy with it, I really like the footage that I got and it does a great job of representing how I felt out there during the trip.

The chipmunk was the worst I've ever had to deal with. He would literally crawl up my leg and I'd have to shake him off. And my barrel was hung quite well as you can see in the vid, but this still happened overnight...

algonquinbeyond.com

10/26/2020 2:21 pm  #4

Nice video - great way to end the season.

And damn dude - sorry about your gear getting chewed up. Those photos (plus my experience with a mouse chewing a hole in my brand new tent on Ragged back in '14) are exactly the reasons I stay away from 60 and the west side. The animals there have become entirely too habituated.

10/26/2020 2:32 pm  #5

Thanks Peek. One more night and they might have actually gotten past the lid and into the barrel...

I'm curious what site you stayed on? There were a few mice at my site too but thankfully they weren't a nuisance to my gear. Although it was startling when I had all my lights off for astrophotography and it was basically pitch black and I'd feel a mouse crawl on me. I'm now cautious about lying down completely while stargazing because I know one of these days a mouse is going to jump onto my face lol

algonquinbeyond.com

10/27/2020 6:18 am  #6

I've had a mouse on my face and would have to say it wasn't that bad compared to the brown bat on my chest.  Mice are quick to show up and quick to leave.

10/28/2020 10:41 am  #7

I love Ragged. Stayed on the Island site years ago in the fall.  Sprained my ankle pretty badly, but the fishing was worth it lol.
We had a similar Chipmunk problem this summer. at hole in our food bag.  Little buggers.  They were chunky too, been fed well lol

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.