You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/05/2020 10:42 pm  #1

Getting in and out of McGarvey - Whatnot vs. Lost Shoe

Thinking about doing a last minute trip into Big Porc / McGarvey. Has anyone travelled through from McGarvey to Bonnechere via Lost Shoe and can tell me what those portages are like? I read one account of the 1,250m being difficult to follow.

Trying to decide if I should do a there-and-back via the Whatnot's or loop around.

Also I'm assuming portages trails will have major leaf fall covering them, so I'm curious if either option is 'safer' with limited visibility of the trail.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

10/06/2020 9:32 am  #2

Re: Getting in and out of McGarvey - Whatnot vs. Lost Shoe

I did the Lost Shoe route in the Spring of 2018 when the portages were still leaf covered and don't recall any issues other than a tree down on the 1250 portage (no doubt cleared by now, and not difficult to get through even back then). I could see how the 1250 might be a bit deceiving, as you follow a creek for a ways before you get to the put in to Lost Shoe, but the put in was a clearly signed with lots of space. Lost Shoe is a very quick paddle - you're barely in the canoe before it's time to get out for the 645m portage.

10/06/2020 10:24 pm  #3

Thanks for the info

algonquinbeyond.com

10/07/2020 7:31 am  #4

Yup, the portages are fine in that section. Enjoy!

10/07/2020 1:50 pm  #5

Thanks!

algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.