You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/01/2020 9:01 am  #1

Fall Trip Recommendation?

Looking for suggestions for my annual father/son fall trip- 4 night, 5 day loop recommendation where it’s 2 days in, base camp 2 nights, 2 days out.  Not a big lake open water loving guy, prefer moderate/small lakes and river stuff when possible. Any thoughts?  I’d prefer on the western or central/southern side of app – so no Kiosk, Brent or Achray stuff, but willing to look at anything along Hwy 60 or the full western side.

10/01/2020 10:36 am  #2

Re: Fall Trip Recommendation?

My daughter and I did an early October trip out of rain lake Access point in 2019 ,on the west side, and base camped at mccraney. If you like to travel more you can go from mccraney to wee,-way,-weed lakes into islet and back to rain lake. All smaller lakes.
We loved the drive up to rain lake, very scenic, fall colors at the time were at their peak. Mccraney was surrounded by hills in all their color splendour.
The 2 km portage is easy. Mc craney has some real nice campsites. We day tripped to the smaller lakes.
A trip report of that is up on algonquinadventures.com, the last one under rain lake heading is ours.

10/01/2020 12:23 pm  #3

Magnetawan-Daisy
Daisy-Moccasin
Moccasin-Casey
Casey-Magnetawan

That puts you with the current on the Petawawa, but the 805 toward Moccasin is flat out nasty uphill.  If you do the trip in the opposite direction, that portage is still nasty, but downhill.  Against the current on the Pet in that area isn't bad at all, I don't know about current water levels.

In the above, I would base on Moccasin - it is a really cool-looking lake that I personally would like paddle around and explore sometime.  If you base camp on Casey, it is a small lake, but there are logging encampment ruins on Salvelinus that you can walk to from the western shore of Casey, and it is pretty neat.

10/01/2020 1:38 pm  #4

I LOVE Algonquin but lately my Fall trips have been to Killarney.. I like  the ability to walk the La Clouche trail from a lot of the lakes for the fall colours.. top of the list for day trips.

Sunday afternoon from the trail below.

I'm going in again in a few weeks and will hike the Crack.

Bookings are hard to get in Killarney but I made mine for mid Oct a few days ago.. just have to look around.. wait for cancellations..

Last edited by ShawnD (10/01/2020 1:43 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

10/05/2020 12:51 pm  #5

Shawn, where are you standing for this picture?  Trying to place the picture and not sure.

10/05/2020 7:12 pm  #6

GordK wrote:

Shawn, where are you standing for this picture?  Trying to place the picture and not sure.

Hey Gord...overlooking Boundary lake.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.