You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2020 1:27 pm  #1

Border closure extended, but a route opens

Well, it is official now, my trip is border-closure-COVID'd out.  I just cancelled the reservation, so as of right now this route is available.  I mention it primarily because Mubwayaka has only 1 reservable campsite and Shah....I think Shah has 2?  Not sure.  Anyway, just wanted to give somebody else the opportunity.

9/25 - Mubwayaka
9/26 - Longbow
9/27 - Shah
9/28 - Little Trout
9/29 - get past Bice before the wind picks up.

Hope somebody here gets to enjoy part or all of that.  Sorry for short notice.

Last edited by MooseWhizzer Dave (9/19/2020 1:37 pm)

9/20/2020 12:16 pm  #2

Re: Border closure extended, but a route opens

I’m sorry you’re not getting your trip in this year Dave. Fingers crossed for an early ice out next year.

9/21/2020 4:33 pm  #3

Well, that would be nice.  If we can get this COVID thing straightened out before 2021 Ice Out that would be ideal.  The situation being the situation, I'm going to the Adirondacks for the first time ever instead.  I'm sure it will be very nice, but my heart will be in APP.  Weather is supposed to be cooperative, unlike my Fall trip to Casey Lake last year, when the temperatures decided to dip as a cold front blew in some cold air, so there's that.  Might not have to take the winter jacket on this weekends' trip.

9/28/2020 5:58 am  #4

If you like fishing and pretty surroundings, Upper St. Regis lake has a public access area for free and a canoe tour of the lake will reveal some of the original "Adirondack style" cabins built in the late 1800's and early 1900's as well as some eclectic other styles.

There are some really nice smallmouth bass and respectable (30") northern pike in the lake too.  This wiki site will give you a brief introduction.
=13pxhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_St._Regis_Lake 

Be aware, the hiking in the Adirondacks is likely a bit tougher than most east coast areas - their elevation is greater by a pretty substantial margin - but the views from the peaks are quite fine of a reward.

9/29/2020 4:47 pm  #5

Got back yesterday.  Trip was nice, fall colors were peak as well.  #1, I want to thank Joe Scmoe for helping me understand ADK camping, and for his recommendations.  That was super-nice, and much appreciated.  #2, although my experience in ADK is very limited compared to my experience in APP, I kind of feel like posting a mini comparison of the two.  Not sure that would be appropriate for AA content though.  The takeaway is I prefer APP, but I would never discourage anyone from tripping in ADK.  (I was making comparative notes during the trip.)  

9/30/2020 7:20 am  #6

MWD,

We were up there from the 19th to the 23rd staying in Saranac Lake - had the canoe in Lake Flower, Oseetah Lake, Upper St. Regis Lake and Spitfire Lake.  Only climbed one mountain...but that was plenty for our old bones!  Our weather was fantastic but the leaves looked to be about a week shy of peak in the areas we traveled.

It's definitely not Algonquin - the only exception might be the St. Regis Canoe Area which has the primitive access, appeal and style.  Most other sites in the region are much like the access lakes of Opeongo or Cedar...heavily used and nice, but not that remote feel.  Another obvious difference is the availability of resources nearby with towns and such sprinkled through some areas.

This board is about Algonquin - relating or comparing an area to Algonquin should qualify as permissible as each comparison may reveal an aspect of Algonquin we need be reminded of.  I would not recommend any report solely on another area as it is then not relevant. 

9/30/2020 10:52 am  #7

PaPaddler wrote:

MWD,

We were up there from the 19th to the 23rd staying in Saranac Lake - had the canoe in Lake Flower, Oseetah Lake, Upper St. Regis Lake and Spitfire Lake.  Only climbed one mountain...but that was plenty for our old bones!  Our weather was fantastic but the leaves looked to be about a week shy of peak in the areas we traveled.

It's definitely not Algonquin - the only exception might be the St. Regis Canoe Area which has the primitive access, appeal and style.  Most other sites in the region are much like the access lakes of Opeongo or Cedar...heavily used and nice, but not that remote feel.  Another obvious difference is the availability of resources nearby with towns and such sprinkled through some areas.

This board is about Algonquin - relating or comparing an area to Algonquin should qualify as permissible as each comparison may reveal an aspect of Algonquin we need be reminded of.  I would not recommend any report solely on another area as it is then not relevant. 

If a paddling tour across many lakes away from civilization is your main goal, APP is where you want to be.

If hiking is your main goal, the ADKs are better.

Keep in mind, there are countless backcountry lakes in the Adirondacks where you're pretty much guaranteed not to see anyone for several days (this Covid year might make things tougher). The difference is many of these are landlocked, and don't have portage routes into other lakes. That said, they can serve as a great basecamp where you can mix your paddling with hiking. In a week, you could sample 2 or 3 of these destinations and have a great experience... The downside is that you might have to drive in the middle of your trip. The upside is the towns and villages in the park are a reminder of Ontario cottage country from many years ago, before the millionaires took over.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.