You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2020 11:24 am  #1

Quick fix for dried-out kevlar bonding ...

Just got the canoe out of storage for check-over for trip later this year. I found a couple of spots where the flotation compartment walls bonding has dried-out from the hull. It's a 12 year old Swift Kipawa. The last time I worked with fiberglass was back in 2008 when I added skid-plates to a solo canoe. I'm wondering if over those intervening years, technology has provided alternatives for a tight seal?

Top of the stern flotation compartment ...

Detail of the gap ...

Right side of the bow flotation compartment ...

Detail of the gap ...

8/30/2020 5:22 pm  #2

Re: Quick fix for dried-out kevlar bonding ...

Just call Swift factory just outside of South River. They are incredible to deal with and will provide the best advice.

Last edited by Zemantics (8/30/2020 5:22 pm)

8/30/2020 8:45 pm  #3

Had a similar issue in a Swift Mattawa a few years back.

Pretty sure they will recommend using something like this Barry.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lepage-pl-premium-295-ml-waterproof-interior-exterior-construction-adhesive/1000403473

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/31/2020 6:54 am  #4

I had a bunch of kips for trainers and a couple did that where the "riser" section of the tank met the hull, I attributed it to kids mistreating them and "middle age spread" as the hulls slowly relaxed over time.
I second the PL, a small bead worked into the joint with a putty knife dipped in thinners, with a bigger bead over-top did the job nicely for more than 10 years now. you can smooth the finish to a "factory smoothness" with an ice cube.

8/31/2020 7:25 am  #5

I am sure that a PL product would do the job bot you may want to try a little gflex and be done with it.
https://www.westsystem.com/specialty-epoxies/gflex-650-toughened-epoxy/
Any idea what caused this?

9/01/2020 6:09 am  #6

I think calling the manufacturer directly is the best advice provided.  I'd be concerned with controlling the amount of heat you have to apply with the GFlex epoxy to get it to cure - I expect you can let it cure at ambient temps but not sure if the bond is as strong as heat curing.

9/01/2020 8:03 am  #7

I phoned the Swift South River facility and they said they always recommend the "PL Premium 295". Thanks Shawn!

I'd originally emailed them. I just got their email response ..

Hi Barry,  
Yes we would recommend the LePage PL Premium construction adhesive.  The only thing with using this is that it dries light tan rather than the clear like what's in there now actually If you can get your hands on Plexus MA 3200 that is what it was originally installed with But the Lepage will work fine. 

Thanks!
Alicia 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.