You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2020 3:20 pm  #1

Campsites near Hailstorm Creek, Opeongo

Hello

I am planning to base camp near Hailstorm Creek, Opeongo before mid September.  Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations for a campsite?  We are planning to go into Hailstorm Creek each morning/evening in search of moose and fish during the mid day for trout.  Moose it the main aim.  Fishing is just to keep busy.

There's a review online for #18 (on a point of land near the Happy Isle portage).

What about #16 (right next to the entrance to Hailstorm Creek)?  Too boggy/wet/buggy?

Thanks.

8/22/2020 7:35 pm  #2

Re: Campsites near Hailstorm Creek, Opeongo

No personal experience but I used to drop people off and pick them up from site 16 in the water taxi regularly and they always said it was nice. For the same reasons you are thinking of it(early and late access to the marsh for wildlife viewing).

8/23/2020 9:18 am  #3

We were at campsite 18 a few years ago, it’s humongous and only a short paddle from hailstorm creek. Views were great over the water. Beaches are gravel.  #19 is also fantastic, large with a sloping rock  area down to the water.
#20 is smaller, more closed in, and #22 island site Has a nice Sandy beach on the backside of the island, a drawback was that it was used as a fishing camp, there was no fire pit or seating at that time, and smelled strongly of fish.
One of the two sites closest to hailstorm creek, #16 or 17 was a small site, uphill, room for a small tent and quite closed in,
Sorry I can’t quite remember which of the 2 sites it was.
There was almost no firewood to be found on the sites, stripped clean as we, and the others on neighbouring sites mentioned when we had short chats.As well, the water taxi was a frequent visitor to the happy isle portage, even in september. Hope it helps.

8/23/2020 10:26 am  #4

tentsterforever wrote:

of the two sites closest to hailstorm creek, #16 or 17 was a small site, uphill, room for a small tent and quite closed in,
Sorry I can’t quite remember which of the 2 sites it was.

That would be 17. I stopped by last Saturday for an hour or so and as mentioned it is a small site. Big rock landing with a moderate slope into the water. Land sideways and you will get your feet wet type of thing. Site is uphill following a trail that opens up to the site. Small area with fire pit and rock bench and I only saw 1 tent pad off to the side. Closed in and no real view of the lake. Nice for 2 but probably crowded for 4. Sounds crappy but I kind of liked it. Maybe not so much in June though.

8/25/2020 10:11 pm  #5

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.  I am going to try #16 (near Hailstorm) first.  Second choice (due to distance) will be #18.  Assuming both are available when I get there.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.