You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2020 8:25 am  #1

Hay Creek Road?

I've seen a few posts on Facebook recently where people are talking about Hay Creek Road that runs out of Whitney and into the park, following a hydro line/cut.  Some folks are saying that you are allowed to drive this road, even though it cuts through the park.  Apparently there is a sign posted at the park boundary stating that vehicles must have a valid park permit displayed...Is anyone familiar with this?

8/11/2020 10:03 am  #2

Re: Hay Creek Road?

You can legally drive it to the put-in on Cauliflower Lake (did this in 2014, high clearance + 4x4 required)). Beyond that is a no-go.

8/11/2020 3:24 pm  #3

I have taken this road a few times over the past few years down to Cauliflower.  Definitely need a 4x4 as the road has some deep ruts in a few spots.  The road continues to Little Cauliflower and beyond, but the road gets worse as you go deeper in.

Last edited by steelhead905 (8/11/2020 3:29 pm)

8/13/2020 10:05 pm  #4

Anyone have intel on the Bissett road hydro cut?  I’ve seen some videos on YouTube of that and the near population on there that is great for viewing feasting on berries etc. Where can you access that road?

8/13/2020 10:06 pm  #5

Sorry. Meant bear population

8/14/2020 5:37 am  #6

Lukatch wrote:

Sorry. Meant bear population

lol, I was thinking, 'Do people really go watch locals eat berries??' and then just wrote it off to.. 2020.

8/15/2020 11:52 pm  #7

Is the road from Whitney to Cauliflower Lake really so bad that you need a 4x4 or will you see a Nissan Sentra parked at the access point when you arrive? It’s not hard to find pics of a guy driving his minivan on Hay Creek Road so I think it’s a valid question. I know that when I drove into the Stull Creek access in Temagami I literally had some guy in a 4x4 pickup looking down at me saying “I don’t know if you make it in that” (Chevy Caviller), but we did.

8/16/2020 8:36 am  #8

I supposed it depends entirely on the time of year. When I went down that road, it wasn't long after ice out - maybe mid May or so. The first several kms are a typical logging road, but when it enters the hydro cut, the ruts in the road are deep enough that you need to drive on the side of them - unless you have super high clearance. I was at Cauliflower for 4 nights and it rain a lot - which caused a washout to occur. I thought I was trapped. Got out, took my shoes off and walked in the washout to see if it was soft or compact. It was a bit of both. Shoes on, back in the car and I gave 'er. Just made it.

Might not be a problem later in the season.

8/16/2020 6:09 pm  #9

Last I was through that area on a lengthy North to South trip in 2017, I recall seeing three vehicles at the cauliflower lot. All trucks. The section of road between cauliflower and little cauliflower were very drivable by standard vehicles, but I have no doubt that it might be hairy in some sections.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.