You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2020 6:19 pm  #1

Kiosk to Biggar and back

Hi everyone,

I've got another set of trip reports up. Last week, after the family trip to Burnt Island, I went up to Kiosk for another few days. It was a good trip, until it wasn't. Long story short, we got caught in the middle of Kiosk in a pretty tough thunder storm on our last day. Probably the most frightening experience I've had on a trip. Anyways, here's the report. 

https://allofalgonquin.com/2020/07/14/return-to-kiosk-pt-1-bright-days-bigger-bugs-biggar-lake/

Drew

7/16/2020 8:16 pm  #2

Re: Kiosk to Biggar and back

Great write up. Your description of the fear and anxiety about the storm was bang on....I’ve sadly(stupidly) experienced the same situation but I was on big trout.

Photos look great.

Thanks for the share.

7/17/2020 10:51 pm  #3

Once I purchased a big old Scott Prospector at the Portage Store, and yes canoes can weigh 100 pounds.  In this case it was not intended for shoulders or speed, just a remake of Sink the Bismarck.  That does look like a nice site on Biggar. 

The Kiosk end of the story is a good read but especially for anyone heading out onto bigger lakes for the first time (or even smaller narrow lakes that the wind funnels down).  If any consolation at least you got into the situation with one other adult and not your family when you were on Burnt - though I suspect you would have been more cautious which loops back into the lesson you are imparting I suppose.  Thanks for this TR and the previous on Burnt Island - always enjoyable.

7/18/2020 7:13 am  #4

Scary!! Glad the tripping gods had mercy on you (it must be your writing skills). I've done a lot of that trip only in the opposite direction, however, it was mid-September so the bugs were gone. I can't imagine all those portages swarming with bugs. Hope the swelling has gone down!!!

7/19/2020 6:40 am  #5

We were on NTL during that storm, one of the beach sites. The most powerful storm I've ever experienced. 

Canoes were beached high and turned over. The winds picked up the 16" prospector, and and wrapped it around a tree. Interestingly, the 18' Souris Quetico did not move a bit. The prospector has more camber, and I suspect the wind was able to get under. 

My friend's tent broke in three places and collapsed. 

As you said, learning opportunity. I think I'm gonna have to tie down the prospector if any chance of storm from now on. 

Here's the video of the storm. The CCS tarp held up like a champ, but as the winds picked up I had to stop filming cause I thought it was gonna give way. It picks up in the last 2 seconds of the video, and I put the camera away.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ma9iggjfton9vb/storm.mp4?dl=0

M

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (7/19/2020 6:42 am)

7/24/2020 9:00 pm  #6

Sometimes you hear the thunder for an hour or more before the rain and other times it’s just a few minutes. A big thunderstorm under a secure tarp is beautiful but paddling in the middle of a big lake would really suck!

7/24/2020 9:19 pm  #7

Thanks everyone. Marko, that video is pretty impressive. Makes me glad I wasn’t out in th ... oh, wait.

To Solos point, that’s exactly what was running through my mind, but I can guarantee from now on I’ll be assuming it’s the five minute version of thunder, not the hour one

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.