You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/22/2020 10:16 pm  #18

Re: the border

EddyTurn wrote:

Thanks GoeScmoe and Papaddler! The picture is getting more clear now though less encouraging . I'm not enthusiastic about hiking ADK with 5 year old kid in tow and getting into motel would totally ruin an adventure. Does anyone have experience canoeing Whitney Wilderness?

No never been, but it looks good. Check out adkforum... They should be able to help. I just googled a few trip reports on a few other sites that also look good.

Your five year old should be able to hike some of the smaller mountains. Mine did at that age and they loved it (my son was actually doing bigger ones too).

Mt Frederica is on Lake Lila. It has just 500ft elevation gain though I'm not sure how long the approach is. Two other easy ones to drive to are Coney Mountain and Mt Arab. My kids did both of these when they were small. Like some other peaks, Mt Arab has a firetower at the summit. I've got some pics I'll try to figure out how to upload.

Going to the ADKs and not doing even a small summit would be like going to Algonquin to hike and not dip a paddle in the water... Trust me... Your family will love it.

Last edited by JoeScmoe (7/22/2020 10:26 pm)

7/22/2020 10:22 pm  #19

Kids on Coney with summit marker
https://ibb.co/FJk9KGM

Me with the kids.
https://ibb.co/8rNgdpW

Kids and friends looking out Mt Arab firetower.
https://ibb.co/v3M11WK

I'm not sure why these didn't embed... But the links should work.

Last edited by JoeScmoe (7/22/2020 10:24 pm)

7/22/2020 11:23 pm  #20

Nice pics! Not our cup of tea though. We stopped hiking our local hills as soon as my kid was able to ride a bike.

7/23/2020 10:29 am  #21

EddyTurn wrote:

Nice pics! Not our cup of tea though. We stopped hiking our local hills as soon as my kid was able to ride a bike.

To each their own I guess. Algonquin is for sure the better place for a pure paddling vacation but hopefully you'll find something that will capture you're interest. Maybe you could drive and check out more than one area, given you have a week. At the very least, you'll be saving a bunch of drive time over going to Ontario!

If your little one is a strong swimmer, they'll love the Long Lake Town Beach. It has a platform that kids can swim out to with a slide, trampoline, and Tarzan rope.

In any case, hopefully the info I put up will be of use to someone.

Last edited by JoeScmoe (7/23/2020 10:32 am)

7/23/2020 12:35 pm  #22

JoeScmoe wrote:

In any case, hopefully the info I put up will be of use to someone.

It was definitely helpful to us! Even if we didn't find it encouraging - we were not looking for encouragement, but for advise, and that's what we got.For us a wilderness canoe trip includes solitude and challenge, which - combined - is nowhere to find south of the border, alas.

8/09/2020 11:08 pm  #23

JoeScmoe - sent you a PM a few minutes ago about Adirondacks.  Thought I'd take you up on your offer of advice in planning.....

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.