You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2020 11:44 am  #1

5 Day Canoe Trip From Access #4 to #5 Scary Bear Incident

Here's a video from our latest canoe trip.  Overall the weather was great and suprisily few bugs for this time of year.  

Oh and we had a scary incident with a bear who would't leave our site.  My camera ran out of space early that day so everything i recorded of the bear didn't save..... 

Anywhoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOwPS7FIcfc&t=2s

Last edited by Ron S (7/15/2020 11:44 am)

7/16/2020 2:22 pm  #2

Re: 5 Day Canoe Trip From Access #4 to #5 Scary Bear Incident

That is pretty scary, Ron.   I feel like you if you haven't reported that bear to the park that you should.  That is unusual behavior as you know, especially the sitting down and hanging around bit.  Brrrrr!  Sounds like a habituated bear, or one that is becoming habituated, or maybe just a sick bear, but none of the behavior you encountered is going to lead to anything good. 

100% you made the right all to ditch camp.  Glad you had no additional problems.  

7/17/2020 12:11 pm  #3

Last year on Stratton we passed by a site left for the day, no less than 6 coolers sitting on the ground, I can imagine what the rest of the site was like.  Sounds like this bear already knew the drill in terms of hitting up the campsites around the lake.  You should let APP know for sure and hopefully a good outcome for the bear and future campers.  

7/19/2020 7:32 am  #4

Yeah we reported the bear the moment we got back to Canoe lake.  As we were leaving the park, we heard other campers reporting the bear too.

I "hope" it was a young bear seeing people for the first time and will now steer clear....

Last edited by Ron S (7/27/2020 7:26 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.