You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2020 10:03 am  #1

Print Permits or pick up in Person

Hey Everyone!

Been trying to find an answer to this. I know my first trip on June 4th I just printed the permit at home (actually just printed confirmation email twice and left one on my dash as I couldnt find where to print the permit) but I am not sure if thats changed and we now have to stop in at a permit office for backcountry permits?

Hope everyone is staying safe and finding ways to enjoy the summer so far!

Cheers!

Marcus

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

7/06/2020 10:07 am  #2

Re: Print Permits or pick up in Person

I'm trying to figure this out myself! I just got home from 5 days through the Magnetawan access point. I thought it was still 'print your own', but when I reached the access point everyone had the official, permit-office-printed, permits in their car windshields. Someone was at the access point and confirmed the Kearney permit office was open. 

So I went camping anyway and left a printed-out copy of my permit in the window. Used my inReach to message my wife and had her call the permit office to let them know I was camping and didn't realize they were open. All they told my wife was "He's fine", so I'm not sure what the official position is right now. 

7/06/2020 10:35 am  #3

My guess is that they will keep it "as is" for the remainder of the season.  If you can print off your permit it saves you having to go in and potentially have a face-to-face with people in the permit office so my guess is that they will leave that as an option for this year.  Sounds like if you want to go in you can but they'll allow you to go the printed route as well. I can't see it making much difference to them as either way you've paid for the permit and show it on your dash etc.

I've got a trip booked for early August and when I did the online reservation I got an email saying I would receive another email 7 days before my trip with printable permits.

7/06/2020 10:51 am  #4

Asked AP on Twitter last week. Got this answer.

So that is what I’m doing all year until they tell me differently.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

7/06/2020 10:55 am  #5

Interesting about not needing anything for the vehicle.  I wonder how they'll enforce the 1 vehicle per permit thing?

7/06/2020 12:16 pm  #6

I think the answer is that they won't be, at least not for this year. Although the online booking system does now let us provide license plate numbers (and tent and boat colours) so maybe they're checking plates against a list. 

7/06/2020 12:17 pm  #7

Thanks for the info everyone!

Nice to know I can get out early. I know we all believe this is the way it should be with preprinted permits but would be nice if they had a checkin button the day before/of so they know you went, especially in busy times where it could open up a campsite for day of reservations.

Aw well, Ill get my wife to call Friday morning and tell them I am out there!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

9/30/2021 2:13 pm  #8

I checked in at Kearney first time I have checked in since covid, since we were driving by on operating hours. I really enjoyed getting out early the last few trips since covid.

They told me it is not essential, but that they do prefer you to check in for more remote trips, and that they aren't so specific/fussy about #5/ 6 etc.

10/02/2021 5:03 pm  #9

I do like to check in, in person, that way I can ask questions if necessary.  I did check in, in person, when I went Eastern Pines this summer.  I did have reservations in Frontenac this summer and they called me a day before arrival to "check in" over the phone. I did this and when I arrived at the Park my vehicle and backcountry permits were in an envelope with my name on it on the cork board outside the office.  Two different parks, two different experiences.

10/03/2021 9:17 pm  #10

Print at home if comfortable doing so. All good. One on the dash and one on  person.  I dont need to ask any questions or need anything asked of me lol!  . I just enjoy getting out earlier than usual.  Save the line ups for those less experienced.  Just got back from 4 days south of 60. WHAT AGREAT WEEKEND!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.