You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2020 7:32 pm  #18

Re: Fees

JoeScmoe wrote:

Has anyone done this yet? I'm seriously considering it for my group, but I'm pondering the ethics. There's three sites on the lake I've booked. So far I've only booked for myself with the plan to add others the day before we leave...

The ethics are very black and white, very little grey area to work with. I’m not saying that I‘m all high and mighty but in this situation I would probably do something different. That being said, there doesn’t seem to be a rule against it and there is an economic advantage to you as well.

6/30/2020 8:18 pm  #19

JoeScmoe wrote:

ShawnD wrote:

I’m getting around the extra car fee by just making a second or third booking if necessary. Piss poor business planning. Guess what guys now there are less sites for you to book.

Has anyone done this yet? I'm seriously considering it for my group, but I'm pondering the ethics. There's three sites on the lake I've booked. So far I've only booked for myself with the plan to add others the day before we leave.

If two more book individually, we'll have the lake to ourselves. Would we get pushback from the ranger when we all check in at the same time? I'm conflicted because it would potentially screw over other prospective campers, but if they're dinging us for parking it seems like this is the better plan.

You're not breaking any rules so you're not going to get in trouble. But pretty sure you can just print at home right now without the need for an in-person check in.

It's more just about the ethics and whether or not it bothers you. If it was a long weekend and you know that things will be fully booked, then you know that you're taking away an opportunity from someone else. But if it's a mid September trip, it just means that someone else won't get that lake, but there will still be plenty of other options for them.

You'll be far from the first person to book multiple sites on a lake though. Whether or not you think it's right, it happens all the time.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

6/30/2020 8:30 pm  #20

It's an August Saturday to Tuesday out of Brent, 3 hours in. We're booked out of Kiosk now, but I'm changing it.

We may take one truck, we still haven't worked out the logistics due having 2 or 3 "maybes" which would put us to two to three vehicles.

I used the new tool that was detailed in another thread that shows full availability on all days so the demand in that area must be low.

7/02/2020 7:18 am  #21

solos wrote:

JoeScmoe wrote:

Has anyone done this yet? I'm seriously considering it for my group, but I'm pondering the ethics. There's three sites on the lake I've booked. So far I've only booked for myself with the plan to add others the day before we leave...

The ethics are very black and white, very little grey area to work with. I’m not saying that I‘m all high and mighty but in this situation I would probably do something different. That being said, there doesn’t seem to be a rule against it and there is an economic advantage to you as well.

My group has done this once. (There is usually 4 people in our group).
I'll take flack for this, but only because we wanted to limit the number of available sites on Opalescent.  (We really wanted the Stone couch site)  There are 6 sites on the lake 5 available for booking and we booked 2.   We only ended up seeing 1 other person (didn't stay on the lake) and 2 park staff (first and only time for park staff)

5/13/2023 3:50 pm  #22

I do think it is breaking the rules to book this way. While the chances of a warden actually arriving on your site having 2 bookings in one canoe I do think means you are off your permit 🤷🏻‍♀️. While the rules don’t explicitly state this I would say that you can’t properly fill out a permit for a tandem boat as 2 permits without being somewhere between evasive and dishonest 🤷🏻‍♀️. I’ve been tempted to ask the Park as I am curious if booking 2 permits would be considered in contravention of the rules but I haven’t as I have pretty much decided I just won’t do it anyway.

Last edited by ChristineCanoes (5/13/2023 8:04 pm)

5/14/2023 5:28 pm  #23

Every single time my wife and I go we book two permits on whatever lake we take, last year we went with my family and booked a total of 6 permits on one single lake, and occupied one single campsite. We actually have multiple campsites booked on cedar lake for one weekend this summer already.
Last year we also booked a lake for 3 solid weeks, 1 single permit for the weekdays and a separate one for each of us on the weekends and left our tent etc setup for 3 solid weeks but only visited on the weekends. 
I asked a ranger about this and he said there is nothing they can do as long as we have a permit.
Mind you the lakes we do this on are never even close to full and I dont think Id do it in a situation where it would stop someone from taking a spot, but after seeing all the BS that goes on over the years I figure why not.
There are so many loopholes, for example if you want to go hiking for a day on highway 60, just book any random canoe or backpacking site available with no intentions of using it, then you get two day permits for 12.43 vs. 17 or whatever for a single day.

Last edited by ATVenture (5/14/2023 5:37 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.