You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2020 6:33 pm  #1

Brent Store

I'm really hoping the border opens in the next several weeks (June 22nd?) so that my mid July trip can still happen.  We are super excited to head up to Brent and start out for 8 days.

For those who have been up there:

I know its really remote and we are coming from Michigan.

What can we expect to find at the Brent Store?  Is it cash only or do they accept credit cards?

We would like to grab some bait (crawlers and leeches) and am camping there the night before we set out.  Do they have bait?  Do they carry beer for a celebratory drink when we finish?  

We plan on bringing food for our night camping there but won't leave any behind in the cars while gone.  I'd like to get my sons a snack and drink for the road and my friends an adult beverage (not for the road!) to celebrate our awesome trip.

What about firewood for our night at camp?  Does the campground or store sell it?

thanks in advance for you knowledge and help!

Last edited by ryan72 (6/09/2020 6:50 pm)

6/09/2020 6:52 pm  #2

Re: Brent Store

Believe they accept credit cards. Bait not sure. Beer no. They do sell snacks, drinks, ice and icecream. Firewood I recall you get at the office before you go into the park ground.

6/09/2020 8:52 pm  #3

Hey Ryan,

Brent is a pretty cool place.  It's like stepping back in time.

Assume that there is nothing there except wood, water and bugs, and you will be fine.  Like RC said, Brent Store has some supplies, but I don't think they sell bait and they certainly don't sell booze (Ontario is still stuck in the early 20th century when it comes to booze).  Your best bet is to come to Brent with everything you need, and then the cold coke and ice cream bar at Brent when you end your trip will be the greatest treat ever.  I would bring cash to be safe.  

6/10/2020 7:00 am  #4

I was just there yesterday.. surprised they were closed when I walked up. Didn't even see Jake around but I'm sure hes out there.

6/10/2020 7:21 am  #5

6/10/2020 7:39 am  #6

I really hope that isn't the case and we're able to visit.  I guess we'll know in a few weeks

6/10/2020 7:55 am  #7

Looks like border closed until end of July at least.. 

https://lfpress.com/news/national/clean-rollover-canada-u-s-set-to-extend-border-closure-to-late-july/wcm/8124afdb-5b2f-47ff-878f-1988947b8e70/

What about the BWCA? If you're in Michigan, it's about 11 hours (vs. 7 for APP)? 
M

6/10/2020 12:45 pm  #8

BWCA is an option but I don't know if I can get equipment rented and permits issued for our schedule so close.  I have zero knowledge of that area so lots of reading and research.  We've been planning to visit Algonquin for over a year so cancelling will be a tough pill to swallow.  Looks like a 13ish hour drive so not a deal breaker.  

6/10/2020 2:10 pm  #9

There are quite a few options in the Adirondacks as well; I do expect you'll find getting a site to be somewhat challenging but there are some more remote spots that should have ample room.  Our trip is scheduled for August and we have a similar border-crossing concern.  Looking at contingencies already.

6/10/2020 2:14 pm  #10

13 hrs? That's commitment. Thinking about it, you're probably heading to the furthest part of the park from where you are coming from? Great part of the Park though. 

Pro tip: be conscious of when you plan to paddle Cedar as from experience it can get hairy at times, typically later in the afternoon. Something to think about if you have a loaded boat or are with kids. Every time I've set off early morning it's been smooth sailing.

6/10/2020 4:52 pm  #11

Fyi even if the border did open in time which looks unlikely at the moment, they still have a mandatory 14 day quarantine in place for anyone entering Canada so you'd have to plan a 2 week + days for actually camping trip unless things change.

6/10/2020 8:47 pm  #12

RCSpartan wrote:

13 hrs? That's commitment. Thinking about it, you're probably heading to the furthest part of the park from where you are coming from? Great part of the Park though. 

Pro tip: be conscious of when you plan to paddle Cedar as from experience it can get hairy at times, typically later in the afternoon. Something to think about if you have a loaded boat or are with kids. Every time I've set off early morning it's been smooth sailing.

Yes, from Metro Detroit to Ely, MN it looks to be  over 13 hours.  Plus, having driven through Michigan's upper peninsula many times in the summer, travel times from Google are never accurate.  A road repair here and there really bogs things down.  Looks like a long drive that could be 15+ if things work against us.  

I'll still hold out hope that the border opens and we don't have to quarantine for 14 days.  But, in the meantime I am diving into BWCA info as fast as I can.  

If we do get to go we'll only cross Cedar when its early and calm.  I'll have 3 of my sons with me so not taking any unnecessary risks.

6/11/2020 5:20 pm  #13

I only clicked this thread cause i thought it said "beer store."  

That's a topic i can get behind.

6/12/2020 1:59 pm  #14

FYI: due to the challenges of prepping the Brent Store for safe operation in a COVID world, we have delayed the opening until July 1 this season. If you drop by there between now and then you may encounter Jake or his staff doing some work and getting ready, but the store is currently not open and they are not renting canoes.

What the folks said above is accurate. They typically stock a few lures but no bait. No beer. No auto fuel. You will find snacks, pop, ice cream and some frozen meat. And a journey into the past.

Last edited by AO_GordB (6/12/2020 1:59 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.