You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2020 6:49 pm  #1

Crossing Cedar

It will be our first time crossing.  We have a group of 9 in 3 canoes and some don't have a ton of canoing experience.  

I have been warned that Cedar can be a  challenge to cross.  I see the prevailing wind direction and flow of the Nipissing and Petawawa rivers could make things a mess.  

We are staying at the Brent Campground the night before and we are heading to Catfish our first day.

Any other advice other than go really early (we will shoot for 7am or before) and NOT to go if things look dicey.

Is there a preferred route or go direct towards the Petawawa?

thanks!

6/09/2020 7:07 pm  #2

Re: Crossing Cedar

The Nip and the Petawawa do not have enough flow to mess anything, not till next April. I am totally agree that it could be a beast, but I crossed Cedar few times and never had an issue. The whole crossing is 2 or 3 kilometers, or 20-30 mins. If it's not stormy at 7am it won't be at 7:30 either. Take it easy and enjoy your trip.

6/09/2020 8:44 pm  #3

Re: Crossing Cedar

I've experienced a few sphincter-clenching crossings of Cedar.  The deceiving thing is that it rarely looks bad from the shore where you put in, but then when you are on the water past the point, it can get choppy.

But, that is much more of a concern in the spring.  If you are going in the summer and you are 3 canoes, just take it easy, stay together and you will be fine.  And, as EddyTurn said, just head for the Petawawa.  Hard to miss - you will hear it!

(I have also crossed when the lake was like glass, so you just never know of course)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.