You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2020 11:10 am  #1

Tip for single carry in Solo boat

I have done a couple solos over the last few years. Always double carried. Seems like center mounted seat always interferes with the top of my pack. Is there any other solution except to reduce height of my pack (ie empty the top pouch,  and  / or lengthen shoulder straps to lower the pack on my shoulders? 3.3 K walking vs 10K into Linda seems like worth asking the question. 
thanks in advance.

6/01/2020 11:28 am  #2

Re: Tip for single carry in Solo boat

If you plan to do a lot of solo trips look into a canoe pack

https://shop.algonquinoutfitters.com/algonquin-outfitters-large-ballistic-canoe-pack.html?id=48951341

I’ve had that model since the 90’s and it’s held up to a lot of abuse. It sits low so you can carry the canoe more easily.

Emptying your top pouch will work too but I think you would like a canoe pack.

6/01/2020 3:35 pm  #3

thanks. You correctly assumed I have a 'tall' backpacking style pack. Good to know that I wasn't just missing some technical workaround related to yoke placement or other. 
That's why this forum is so damn useful.
Pete

6/04/2020 2:38 pm  #4

Some yoke pads are better at giving extra clearance than others. Flat pad attached to yoke by velcro, the one you will probably get at the outfitters, will give almost nothing while Minnesota-style block-style pads will add 3 to 4 inches.

6/09/2020 10:28 am  #5

Jdbonney wrote:

If you plan to do a lot of solo trips look into a canoe pack

https://shop.algonquinoutfitters.com/algonquin-outfitters-large-ballistic-canoe-pack.html?id=48951341

I’ve had that model since the 90’s and it’s held up to a lot of abuse. It sits low so you can carry the canoe more easily.

Emptying your top pouch will work too but I think you would like a canoe pack.

Thanks @jdbonney, I just placed an order for one. It was time to replace the old pack!
Cheers

6/09/2020 12:26 pm  #6

You’ll like it. I got it when I was working for AO back then. I figured if it was good enough to survive all the abuse of a rental fleet it would be good enough for me. 20 years later and it’s still holding up well.

6/20/2020 12:01 am  #7

I found it takes some fiddling with the way and how much you pack, no matter what type of pack you use.  After much playing around, I've found the perfect spot where the yolk rests on the straps wedged between the pack and my shoulders.

My secret is to attach a smaller waterproof bag with my down and sleeping gear to the back of my pack and when the volume of food goes down, that bag ends up in the main compartment.

7/20/2020 5:41 am  #8

+1 on a dedicated canoe pack.  You won't regret the purchase.  They just sit so much better in the canoe as well.  The one I have now is just a cheapo Chinoock Chemun but honestly it's held up really well and I really like all the extra pockets but I have my eye on upgrading to a Hybrid pack from Cooke Custom Sewing.  I see a lot of people in Canada are using the MEC slogg.  Also be careful how large you go on the pack. For solo I find that 70 liters is just about the perfect size.

Justa guy that loves to canoe camp with his dog.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRuOcIgt_VJIRfkZES0GJLQ

1/26/2021 4:01 pm  #9

It's nice to have a big 70 litre portage pack, but have a tall dry bag in one side of the interior that easily comes in and out so that you can trim your canoe with it, but put it back in quickly at the portage to make one package.

+1 on the minnesota blocks on the yoke. Widely used in Quetico and Boundary Wars area. super comfy and gives you that headroom for your pack. Improves the sightline, too, somewhat.

1/27/2021 1:20 pm  #10

Browsing MEC and saw the following pack for sale - any thoughts as to whether it may double as a decent option for canoe/solo carry as well?

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-542/Compass-40-Travel-Pack?colour=IGB00

Last edited by hiker72 (1/27/2021 1:22 pm)

1/27/2021 1:40 pm  #11

It looks pretty small, only 40L. More of a backpack (even has a laptop sleeve) than a canoe pack. You shouldn't have any issue carrying it with a canoe but if you're trying to single carry it might be hard to fit all your food/gear in it.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/29/2021 8:45 am  #12

Also +1 on the canoe pack. I started my conversion from hiking backpacks with a cheaper option , the North 49 waterproof canoe pack. Worked well but was not the most comfortable (did not have back padding and has small shoulder straps), but it was very cheap.

I then purchased a Level Six Algonquin canoe pack and have loved it. Not waterproof but it holds a ton of gear, rides excellent on my back as well as lays low and flat in the boat... very happy with the purchase.
To go solo, I enjoy being able to pack everything in a nice big bag to make put in and take outs quick and easy, and once in the boat that heavy bag rides shotgun and attempts to offset my weight. 

1/29/2021 5:11 pm  #13

+1 on the canoe pack. The newer ones come with a good harness and good straps. I’ve got a new 115 liter seal, it fits my frame real well, as well as being waterproof. It will float too. Have tried other cheaper packs but none did well. We often go for longer trips so rain is always expected, the pack keeps everything nice and dry, the last thing you need is to be cold and wet and find the stuff in your pack is too.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.