You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2020 4:07 pm  #1

Jeff's Map UNLOSTIFY - Algonquin Park

Any news on this map?  Last I heard it was to be ready for sale sometime last year.  I ordered and received the other 4.

2/25/2020 10:29 am  #2

Re: Jeff's Map UNLOSTIFY - Algonquin Park

Haha, soon! Look for a followup post in the next month or two.

We ended up putting a lot more time into design than we'd originally anticipated, but the result will be an even better map =)

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

2/25/2020 11:31 am  #3

*heavy breathing*

2/25/2020 11:31 am  #4

Throw us a bone here Jeff, just a little screen shot.

2/25/2020 3:56 pm  #5

Thanks for the response, Jeff. I'm looking forward to completing my collection.

2/25/2020 4:07 pm  #6

--------------------------------------------------------------
I make canoeing maps! – Unlostify.com
(I'm working on a new Algonquin map set to be released  very soon !

I fixed your signature for you Jeffrey  no pressure..

Last edited by ShawnD (2/25/2020 4:08 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

6/06/2020 10:21 pm  #7

I'm also eagerly awaiting this map.  I'm planning a trip and don't HAVE to have a physical map right now but it makes it easier to communicate in-person to my camping buddy.  I don't mind buying a map right now then re-buying one from Jeff, but if his will hit the market soon I'll hold off.

6/07/2020 6:57 am  #8

The old Jeff's Maps was (is??) available as a digital download. PM me if you need help accessing the digital copy.

6/07/2020 8:28 pm  #9

I would go with a digital copy of Jeff''s.  Otherwise FOAP also has an online Canoe Routes map that might be useful for discussion purposes:  http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/virtual/canoe_routes_map/index.php

I am sure the new Unlostify map is right around the corner as well : )

6/07/2020 8:55 pm  #10

In defense of the FOAP map it should be said that it was successfully used in the park for many years before Jeff's map became available, as many of us certainly remember. It contains some mistakes as every other map does, but to the best of my knowledge nothing serious enough to render it risky or improper to use in any sense. For those who do not like their park adventure to be pre-processed in advance FOAP map is still no less sufficient on the ground as well as for planning purposes than the Jeff's.

6/07/2020 10:23 pm  #11

EddyTurn wrote:

In defense of the FOAP map it should be said that it was successfully used in the park for many years before Jeff's map became available, as many of us certainly remember. It contains some mistakes as every other map does, but to the best of my knowledge nothing serious enough to render it risky or improper to use in any sense. For those who do not like their park adventure to be pre-processed in advance FOAP map is still no less sufficient on the ground as well as for planning purposes than the Jeff's.

I’ve bought a couple of FOAP maps almost a couple of decades ago and enjoyed using them to plan my trips. However, Jeff took the FOAP Map to a much higher level. FOAP made me think that we could traverse the Tim River all the way to Shippagew but one look at the times on Jeff’s Map would have saved us the headache of changing routes on the fly. Plus Jeff has some low res topo, shows more roads, and has a bunch of unofficial routes.

And it’s not just Algonquin. A long time ago we fought our way up Stull Creek, wasting most of the day but recently I looked at Jeff’s Map and it recommends a lengthy but hugely time saving portage that avoids that misery. OK, that a FOT (Temagami) rather that FOAP map but the “friends” maps are just not that friendly to travellers unfamiliar with the area.

6/08/2020 5:13 pm  #12

FOT Temagami map is strictly for home planning purposes, it says so, and It can't be compared to Jeff's. The only authoritative source for Temagami travel, in my opinion, is ottertooth atlas, which is extremely reliable, though it covers may be 50% of the territory. Jeff's Temagami map is very useful in areas outside of the ottertooth atlas, but it contains multiple minor and some not very minor mistakes in placing of portages and campsites. It never been proofread after its first edition, which is unfortunate.

6/09/2020 6:57 am  #13

Why the lack of love for Adventure Maps? They are waterproof, detailed, accurate, easy to read and made to be used with compass and/or GPS. Best of all, they are readily available for all parts of Algonquin and many other parks.
http://www.chrismar.com/

6/09/2020 9:11 am  #14

eddyturn;  I would debate this point! "it was successfully used in the park for many years" It was only successful for short range trips on popular routes, It had no topographical information at all, portage lengths or even locations were often wrong and it had noting about lake heights or current direction. it was "successful" because it's all there was.

that's why Jeff's map was such a hit- the friends' map was useless for any detailed planning without the corresponding topo map.

Last edited by scoutergriz (6/09/2020 9:12 am)

6/09/2020 9:20 am  #15

scoutergriz wrote:

eddyturn;  I would debate this point! "it was successfully used in the park for many years" It was only successful for short range trips on popular routes, It had no topographical information at all, portage lengths or even locations were often wrong and it had noting about lake heights or current direction. it was "successful" because it's all there was.

that's why Jeff's map was such a hit- the friends' map was useless for any detailed planning without the corresponding topo map.

All true.  I relied on those FOAP map's for years until I discovered Jeff's.  I do still like to use a laminated FOAP map for trip planning, and I bring one with me to open and look at on every trip for nostalgia - but Jeff really changed the game with the detailed info he was able to provide.  

I just purchased an Unlostify Kawartha map and although it took some getting used to with planning I've become a big fan.  Can't wait for the APP map. 

6/09/2020 12:41 pm  #16

Gord Baker wrote:

Why the lack of love for Adventure Maps? They are waterproof, detailed, accurate, easy to read and made to be used with compass and/or GPS. Best of all, they are readily available for all parts of Algonquin and many other parks.
http://www.chrismar.com/

I’m with you Gord. I like them too. Although I admit that I rely on Jeff’s more but I’ve used the Chrismar maps a lot too and they are rarely mentioned.

6/09/2020 7:37 pm  #17

scoutergriz wrote:

Scoutergriz, I hear you. Lack of topo is unfortunate, but easy to redeem, especially these days, and I never met a portage I can't locate in AP, but that might be just my luck. Regarding lake heights, max elevations, portages measured with impossible precision - I can still do without this information, to keep total control out and some resemblance of wilderness travel in in my AP endeavors. Another exuberant feature - travel time measurements - nowadays amount to 50% of all map details.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.