You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/05/2020 9:15 am  #1

Best Sites for Swimming

Hello!

We are planning a trip for Algonquin in August. We will be entering either through Smoke or Canoe Lake but really anywhere along Highway 60 is possible, open to suggestions.

Just wondering what are the best sites people have found for swimming or sitting out in the sun? Any with some sandy parts?

Thanks for the help

6/05/2020 9:33 am  #2

Re: Best Sites for Swimming

I avoid sand as much as possible when camping. It gets in everything. A nice big rock point with deep water next to it is best. The rock warms up and stays warm in the evening. Ragged (from Smoke) has some nice rocky points, though not really deep. 

6/05/2020 9:39 am  #3

Good suggestion, thank-you! I was thinking of doing a loop around Smoke Lake through Bonnechere, and spending some time at Head Lake. The map shows some water falls which could be nice 

6/05/2020 10:19 am  #4

jkurylo wrote:

Good suggestion, thank-you! I was thinking of doing a loop around Smoke Lake through Bonnechere, and spending some time at Head Lake. The map shows some water falls which could be nice 

The falls on Head Lake tend to be pretty dry during the summer, but if you're already on the lake it will still be worth checking out.

Bonnechere is a pretty lake with great campsites, but only a few are ideal for swimming/sunbathing, so in mid-August it will be busy and you'll be rolling the dice.

A different option you can consider would be Rock > Pen or Clydegale > Welcome > Louisa > back to Rock

It's 3 nights but you can take rest days if you're planning a longer trip.

Pen has plenty of nice sites, a lot of which offer good swimming. Clydegale is my preference though, there's great swimming and sunbathing on the two northern sites, and the southern island has a beach landing. Welcome has a handful of large beach sites so obviously good for swimming and sunbathing there. And Louisa has a lot of campsites with rocky points that also offer the same swimming/sunbathing opportunities.

I have tons of pictures and campsite reports for all of the lakes in the area (your original idea Smoke to Head and the route I suggested). Feel free to take a look algonquinbeyond.com

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

6/05/2020 10:34 am  #5

Thank-you for the information! It was quite helpful and I have not considered that route, but I am now. Some of the pictures look beautiful

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.