You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2020 4:40 pm  #1

Anyone Doing Plastic Beer Bottles?

I knew you use to be able to get Miller MGD's in plastic bottles.  Is that still a thing?  are there any craft brewers doing pastic bottles in Ontario?

6/02/2020 9:10 pm  #2

Re: Anyone Doing Plastic Beer Bottles?

Not that I'm aware of. I started using the clean canteen 64 oz growler a few years back. It was pricey but works good. Keeps for a few days. I have filled it at Lake Of bays Brewery in Baysville on my way north. I imagine LOB taproom in Huntsville would as well and also more convenient on way to the park. Ive also filled them at the local breweries here at home but rather have them topped up closer to be fresher. Now that I think of it LOB had some refillable plastitic growlers a few year ago. They were pretty cheap To purchase. Might want to check that out.

6/03/2020 10:42 am  #3

Oh i'll check out the canteen.   And a plastic growler is a good idea too.  I might be able to find them on Kijiji or Facebook.

6/03/2020 10:52 am  #4

hey ron,, if ya have the time get a brew your own kit,, home made beer is ok,,,

6/03/2020 10:27 pm  #5

Ron S wrote:

Oh i'll check out the canteen.   And a plastic growler is a good idea too.  I might be able to find them on Kijiji or Facebook.

They’re (Kleen Kanteen) fantastic. Highly recommended and truly meets the regulations (unlike MGD in plastic bottles, since you pay a deposit on the bottle).

6/06/2020 1:50 am  #6

Home made brew is cheaper that store bought. I used to have one of those beer buddy barrels and could make 27 bottles for less than $5 . Good beer too.
Afterall with panther martins $5, you get a snag and cry for an hour

6/08/2020 11:59 am  #7

I can't find the link right now, but I recall seeing some freeze dried beer tablets online.  They're alcohol free, but it gives you a recipe to add a white liqour like Vodka to create some type of beer flavoured beverage. 

Personally I'm more of a Whisky, Rye or Tequila fan when in the back country, but only because I can't be bothered to carry a bunch of excess liquid for a few warm pints.  I do bring a second Nalgene filled with red wine on day 1 though. 

6/12/2020 8:06 pm  #8

Is it the BEER that is desired, or the bottles?

I haven't seen beer in... plastic bottles, I don't think although large liquor stores in major centres have more product that can be browsed esp. during COVID-19. So I'm not sure. There USED to be "brew your own" craft beer shops and they had a supply of reusable -- at least I used them over and over -- brown... plastic... bottles that resembled, ah, 1960's (smaller than today) little round beer bottles. Not sure if they are still around but they got them from SOMEWHERE, right?

Beer keeps well in empty plastic liquor bottles, but go for the ones with plastic caps (OTTOMH, like maybe Southern Comfort?) as there is a weak spot with the design of the ones with metal caps - if you whack the cap or drop it on a hard surface the soft metal dents very easily. )-:

The best small plastic bottles that I have seen in Toronto are used for "Chubby" soft drinks which is this horrible liquid possibly made by Cott Beverages in Hamilton. Some of the flavors will taint the plastic slightly, esp. one that is made in Trinidad and is shipped here for some reason. Green caps.

A domain that I want (jsn dot com if you must know) is used by a California based manufacturer of various plastic containers.

I would also try a lab supply house like Cole-Parmer in Chicago... they have a lot of weird stuff.

6/12/2020 8:12 pm  #9

TripperMike wrote:

I can't find the link right now, but I recall seeing some freeze dried beer tablets online.

Hahahaha! Enjoy, eh!? At least that would get you around the can and bottle ban. Here's to summer (crunch crunch chew).

Btw, as I posted earlier, the guidelines for what is and is not allowed in A.P. (in terms of bottles) were not very clear. Not exactly spelled out in plain English. Hopefully it is better now.

6/13/2020 12:07 am  #10

Roman_K2 wrote:

TripperMike wrote:

I can't find the link right now, but I recall seeing some freeze dried beer tablets online.

Hahahaha! Enjoy, eh!? At least that would get you around the can and bottle ban. Here's to summer (crunch crunch chew).

Btw, as I posted earlier, the guidelines for what is and is not allowed in A.P. (in terms of bottles) were not very clear. Not exactly spelled out in plain English. Hopefully it is better now.

Haha.  They were similar to a seltzer tablet where you added an amount of flavourless alcohol to get an ABV.  It was a US company and I imagine the idea didn’t take off

6/16/2020 11:36 am  #11

OT but it's quiet here so... Any idea about what happened to Alka-Seltzer? It was a popular over the counter ASA fizzy tablet. Still going strong in the 1980's. Not sure if there was some sort of "buffering" stomach action associated with it.

I grew up near a Bristol-Myers plant... any time my family was returning from a long trip I would call out the name of the product - BM was one of the tallest buildings in my area.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.