You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2020 11:29 am  #1

Rain Lake To Canoe Lake

With the park now open, im starting to plan my next canooe trip. I'm thinking of a trip from Rain Lake To Canoe Lake.  There are a few ways to get there, so i'm just wondering if anyone here has done this route and might have some suggestions.

We'll probably do it in 3-4 nights.

Thanks

6/02/2020 11:55 am  #2

Re: Rain Lake To Canoe Lake

Do you want more solitude at the cost of travelling through unmaintained portages and campsites? Or would you rather travel through maintained areas and likely get nicer campsites, knowing that you'll see more people along the way?

I'd prefer the latter and to me the obvious route is to do something like Jubilee > Misty > McIntosh > Tom Thomson. Or if you've never been to Sunbeam it's a very pretty lake, so you can go around through McIntosh Marsh / Grassy Bay and down to Sunbeam, then out of Sunbeam through Vanishing Pond.

edit: if you do decide to go the maintained route with something similar to my recommendation above, you can also consider starting from Magnetawan to get to Misty through the Petawawa with less portaging.

Last edited by trippythings (6/02/2020 11:58 am)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

6/02/2020 3:20 pm  #3

Ahh yeah i guess we could start from access 3.  Didn't really think of that.  

Cheers,

Ron

6/02/2020 4:31 pm  #4

Ron S wrote:

Ahh yeah i guess we could start from access 3.  Didn't really think of that.  

Cheers,

Ron

If that's an option, my vote would be Misty > McIntosh > White Trout (or Big Trout) > Sunbeam

Grassy Bay is a lovely paddle and would be worth adding to the trip. White Trout and Big Trout are great lakes as well.

I did that route last September but circled back to Mag instead of going south to Canoe.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

6/03/2020 5:10 am  #5

We went through grassy bay a few years back.  If i remember correctly, we had to get over a pile of beaver damns from McIntosh Marsh to Grassy Bay.  

6/16/2020 4:01 pm  #6

Yep i've done that loop too.  SOOO many beaver damns.

6/16/2020 7:20 pm  #7

If not for beaver damns many water ways would be impossible to paddle.To push a boat over a damn - is it such a high price for being out there?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.