You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2020 8:17 am  #1

Dawn 'till Dusk Loops

Hi all,

Anyone have any recommendations for a good single day loop to do in the park? Looking to do a good haul for the day, maybe 30km, give or take.

So far I've been eyeing Smoke Lake down through Big Porupine and back up through the small lakes into Head, Cache, and out through Smoke.

5/29/2020 9:49 am  #2

Re: Dawn 'till Dusk Loops

Smoke to cache via tanamakoon. Cross the hwy to canisbay and north to Linda. Back down to source and then portage back to smoke.

Canoe lake to burnt island. Northwest to sunbeam and then south west to Tom Thomson and back to canoe either via the little doe and tepee or potter creek depending on water levels.

I once thought of putting in at rock and travelling to Louisa, head/harness then madawaska river over to two rivers and back down to rock but never actually did that one.

5/29/2020 10:01 am  #3

Cache to Head via the Madawaska, including hiking the part of Track & Tower that goes up to the beautiful lookout.

5/29/2020 1:24 pm  #4

Sunbeam circuit, but down through Vanishing Creek instead of Burnt Island. I’ve done it in a day, it’s a nice route, gives you a little bit of everything.

If you want something more off the beaten path a loop out of Canoe Lake through Dummer, Lupus, Susan and down from Rainbow via Potter Creek is also doable in one day and you probably won’t see very many people except on Canoe Lake.

5/29/2020 1:31 pm  #5

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

If you want something more off the beaten path a loop out of Canoe Lake through Dummer, Lupus, Susan and down from Rainbow via Potter Creek is also doable in one day and you probably won’t see very many people except on Canoe Lake.

Oh yeah!! That’s a good one. Nice call.

6/01/2020 2:03 pm  #6

Thanks everyone! We ended up going Cache to Head through the Madawaska and had a great time.

6/01/2020 3:57 pm  #7

OtziCoolDude wrote:

Thanks everyone! We ended up going Cache to Head through the Madawaska and had a great time.

Did you have trouble finding Head Creek? Both times I've done this loop it was a fun challenge!

6/01/2020 5:27 pm  #8

That is a great trip. Glad you enjoyed it. My last time through with the family 2 years ago I got a foot full of leeches on one of the beaver dams. That was a treat.

6/21/2020 8:30 pm  #9

Bumping this thread up because I'd like to change the focus slightly.

I'm trying to plan a day trip that is one level easier than the suggestions here. I'll be in the Rock Lake area.

The people I am "hosting" are physically fit but are the type that would prefer more time on a dock than in a canoe.

My best ideas so far are Sunday to Little Rock or Cache to Tanamakoon.

Any ideas welcome!

6/21/2020 9:23 pm  #10

John McClane wrote:

Bumping this thread up because I'd like to change the focus slightly.

I'm trying to plan a day trip that is one level easier than the suggestions here. I'll be in the Rock Lake area.

The people I am "hosting" are physically fit but are the type that would prefer more time on a dock than in a canoe.

My best ideas so far are Sunday to Little Rock or Cache to Tanamakoon.

Any ideas welcome!

Take them down to Penn Falls from Rock Lake, and on the way back hike Booths Rock Trail from the beach landing on Rock Lake (that intersects the hike just east of Barclay Estate where the old tracks meet the water)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

6/22/2020 8:27 pm  #11

I like Cody's suggested route though it is certainly more ambitious than Sunday to Little Rock : )  If you were going in later Sept. i would give a vote for Sunday because I do like Sunday when the leaves have colour and I've been really lucky in seeing moose that time of year on the east side by the Sproule portage.  You'll see more traffic on Rock/Pen but certainly the way to go if it is going to be hotter and you want to swim - stop off at the old dock at the Barclay estate..  If the wind is up, Rock can be a challenge for friends who prefer docks to canoes. 

Some good history on the Cache route.  You could also go to Canoe for a bit of a history tour if the group likes that - could be busier but you could head up past Little Wapomeo and then stop at the Mowat Cemetery, then up Potter's Cr. to visit the lumber mill and on the way back stop at the Thomson cairn with a swim if not too busy.  If you pack a snack the extra stops nicely break up a decent paddle around the lake.  Can't say i love the crowds on Canoe but that can also be dependent on when you go.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.