You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/28/2020 4:24 pm  #18

Re: June 1 opening

That's great to hear staff are prepping.  And online reservations still showing available to reserve for June 1.  Maybe I'll soon be packing those 2 new Thermarests! - Thanks to Jdbonney headsup on that!

5/28/2020 6:18 pm  #19

One way or another tomorrow will have to be decision day for a June 1 opening. On one hand I hate the uncertainty but on the other, no news is good news.

5/28/2020 6:31 pm  #20

Someone just posted on Reddit that their early June trip just got cancelled and things are closed until at least June 12th.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/28/2020 6:31 pm  #21

spect8r wrote:

That's great to hear staff are prepping.  And online reservations still showing available to reserve for June 1.  Maybe I'll soon be packing those 2 new Thermarests! - Thanks to Jdbonney headsup on that!

Glad you got in on that deal. Total steal.

5/28/2020 6:32 pm  #22

trippythings wrote:

Someone just posted on Reddit that their early June trip just got cancelled and things are closed until at least June 12th.

Shoot

5/28/2020 7:00 pm  #23

Yet I can go in right now and still book a trip for June 1 ????that doesn’t make sense.

Edit:  so frontcountry as of right now is blocked for June 1. Backcountry is not. So either backcountry will be open or they are in the middle of making changes right now.

Frontcountry looks blocked  till June 15.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/28/2020 7:22 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/28/2020 8:15 pm  #24

I’ll have to laugh if front country camping ends up opening on June 15th. Two months ago I booked some family camping time at sandbanks, and June 15th is our arrival date.

5/28/2020 9:01 pm  #25

Unless you have personal friends that are Ontario Parks staff, outfitters don't have any more information than anybody else. There is no hotline. We are all prepping for June 1 because that was the last date we were given - what else can you do? The lack of communication from Ontario Parks has been frustrating but bear in mind that these decisions are made much higher up and the trickle down is slow. June 9 or 14 seems most likely at this point.

5/28/2020 9:16 pm  #26

The Friends of Algonquin website regarding Closed facilities/activities says:

Camping (developed and backcountry) [closure extended to June 14, 2020]

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2020/2020-03-14_covid19.php

5/28/2020 9:16 pm  #27

FOAP now has "camping (developed and backcountry)closure extended to June 14, 2020.

Guess I'll go hang around Canadian Tire cause that's way safer.

5/28/2020 9:20 pm  #28

Thamesman wrote:

The Friends of Algonquin website regarding Closed facilities/activities says:

Camping (developed and backcountry) [closure extended to June 14, 2020]

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2020/2020-03-14_covid19.php

Whoah, that is seriously buried in the fine print. Good for you for finding it.

5/28/2020 9:21 pm  #29

no offence meant to Canadian Tire  - just trying to say wilderness camping, for the experienced, can be just about the safest activity right now.

5/28/2020 9:22 pm  #30

Wife found it.  
new member, "deeptrout"

Last edited by spect8r (5/28/2020 9:23 pm)

5/28/2020 10:16 pm  #31

spect8r wrote:

no offence meant to Canadian Tire  - just trying to say wilderness camping, for the experienced, can be just about the safest activity right now.

Frustrating. When the decisions being made become nonsensical people will stop buying in.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/29/2020 5:54 am  #32

Still no backcountry cancellations at this point.
Sure FOAP posted it is extended until the 14th but do they really know? No they dont know any more than the outfitters etc who still dont know.
Backcountry reservations can still be made without issue - campgrounds all closed for booking last night by around 9:30.
Im still convinced backcountry could open on Monday.
If not I am going to just happen to get wind bound with 2 weeks worth of food and my tent for safety on a day trip.. damn wind. That or Ill start a day trip down the Nipissing and realize I cannot turn around due to current and fore safety reasons I will have to run it end to end? Not going to risk my life.... 

Last edited by ATVenture (5/29/2020 5:56 am)

5/29/2020 6:05 am  #33

Yeah, why would they suspend one service and not the other if the plan is to keep the Park closed? No logic in that. Looking positive.

5/29/2020 6:10 am  #34

RCSpartan wrote:

Yeah, why would they suspend one service and not the other if the plan is to keep the Park closed? No logic in that. Looking positive.

Perhaps a phased in opening for camping,  Backcountry, low risk, if it's OK, partly open front country.    

I suspect we will get an announcement on when camping is going to happen today anyways.  
It's frustrating for me, I leave the 18th for my 5 day trip.   
My company put all vacations on hold, I can likely still get approval on short notice. (After working from home for almost 3 months, I could use a break from home)  

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.