You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2020 11:36 am  #1

June 1 opening

So, rumoured reopening of backcountry for June 1. Max group size of 5.

5/26/2020 12:20 pm  #2

Re: June 1 opening

I sure hope so! I'm eager to get in next week-end! A lot of reservations already. First lake I looked at and it's full Fri and Sat night. I guess the bugs don't scare away everyone lol

I'm just gone Fishin!

5/26/2020 12:34 pm  #3

I have to ask, how solid is this rumour? Did it come from the Park?
Last thing I want at this stage is to get my hopes up only to face further disappointment...

5/26/2020 1:37 pm  #4

https://hartleybaymarina.com/

"In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, we wish to inform all our loyal friends, family and guests that we will be closed to the public until June 1, 2020.  Starting June 1, 2020 full use of the French River Provincial Park and camping will be permitted."

I would think the outfitters and access points would probably be informed before us. Also says there will be a limit of 5 people per site for the time being. Lets hope for an official announcement from Ontario Parks soon.

5/26/2020 1:59 pm  #5

Yes, this is where I got the rumour from. I actually called and asked if they had some insider info and they said that they did. Still unsure how reliable it is however.

5/26/2020 2:40 pm  #6

Well that's positive to say the least.
Looks like it's time to get the gear laid out and the boat ready! Ha

5/26/2020 3:54 pm  #7

Perfect, I have 9 nights booked starting the 4th which I am going to extend tomorrow.

5/26/2020 6:26 pm  #8

Splakin wrote:

... I guess the bugs don't scare away everyone lol

Down here in southern Ontario something weird happened with all the bugs. Last week there was a ton of black flies and one or two mosquitos coming out. This week they’re all gone! I think that recent 2 weeks of cold and now the scorching hot and dry weather has done them in. Last couple of years we’ve had bugs well into the summer. With a bit of luck a similar thing will happen in Algonquin and most of the bugs will be dead by mid June.

5/27/2020 7:31 am  #9

Well it's supposed to be 2 deg Sunday night in the park. Hoping for frost lol. That would sure put a fork in their spokes! I hope! I'm in southern Ont too. Where I live I back onto green space. Surprisingly enough the bugs are never bad. Almost non-existent. So I never know how they really are. Crossing my fingers for next Thurs

Last edited by Splakin (5/27/2020 7:32 am)

I'm just gone Fishin!

5/27/2020 7:52 am  #10

hold the phone.. update posted..

New info as of today from Parks Ontario. Don’t pack your bags just yet. Although June 1st is a tentative date for camping opening, the key word is tentative and things are changing hourly. So stay tuned. Check updates on our website. Until given clear guidance by Parks Ontario – as soon as we know you will know. With these ever changing times, we want to let people know June 1st is the earliest possible opening. We are still waiting for the Go Ahead from the Ministry of Health and the French River Provincial Park.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/27/2020 7:55 am  #11

At least some confirmation it wasn’t just made up. Someone with the authority to give it a go ahead is actually considering it.

5/27/2020 10:11 am  #12

Let hope so,  but wait Ontario extends emergency order to June 9?????

5/27/2020 10:53 am  #13

portions of the trent-severn waterway to open up june first,, some parts in the peterborough region,, this is a national park,  packed and waiting,, good luck to all

5/27/2020 11:47 am  #14

Parks Canada opening June 1 but Camping not until June 21..

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/voyage-travel/securite-safety/covid-19-info

Still nothing from Ontario Parks yet..

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/27/2020 2:07 pm  #15

ShawnD wrote:

hold the phone.. update posted..

New info as of today from Parks Ontario. Don’t pack your bags just yet. Although June 1st is a tentative date for camping opening, the key word is tentative and things are changing hourly. So stay tuned. Check updates on our website. Until given clear guidance by Parks Ontario – as soon as we know you will know. With these ever changing times, we want to let people know June 1st is the earliest possible opening. We are still waiting for the Go Ahead from the Ministry of Health and the French River Provincial Park.

I think "tentative" is the operative word here. From what I understand, the government needs to give a heads-up to stores, outfitters, etc so they can prepare for an opening but it is all tentitive on what happens with the curve. If it starts going up again significantly, then you get to polish that canoe a little more.

Dave

5/28/2020 12:31 pm  #16

It seems like we are off the radar as far as any priority for opening the backcountry.  There's been no word on extension or not.

Just sent a message to "Ask the Premier".  Didn't save it, to paraphase
" Is it appropriate at this time to open Algonquin Park for overnight backcountry (wilderness canoe) camping.  As an annual participant, I can state that, other than confirming arrival and obtaining paperwork from a park attendant, there is very little and typically no contact with others.  Truly self isolation."

5/28/2020 2:58 pm  #17

For what it's worth, I contacted the place we were renting canoes from for our trip Mid-June and they said no word yet, but Parks staff is in the park and getting ready. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.