You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2020 10:51 pm  #52

Re: Ontario Parks Closed until June

solos wrote:

...from what I’ve been seeing in the local neighborhoods is that social distancing is no longer being practiced... / ...causes a massive second wave that will lock down everything again

So what are the chances we can be in and out of the second lockdown in time for some September/October camping?

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/23/2020 6:21 am  #53

trippythings wrote:

solos wrote:

...from what I’ve been seeing in the local neighborhoods is that social distancing is no longer being practiced... / ...causes a massive second wave that will lock down everything again

So what are the chances we can be in and out of the second lockdown in time for some September/October camping?

from what I saw yesterday don't bet on it! Some people were acting like it was party time! not distancing, not wearing masks, not obeying directions in the store, and standing yakking in bunches. Meanwhile the numbers are already starting to rise again.
I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I don't have much faith in it

5/23/2020 6:33 am  #54

In positive news; from the second hand accounts I have heard wildlife sightings are up and fishing is better than usual for the time of year. The reduced car and foot traffic is, anecdotally at least, a win for nature.

5/23/2020 6:38 am  #55

Jdbonney wrote:

In positive news; from the second hand accounts I have heard wildlife sightings are up and fishing is better than usual for the time of year. The reduced car and foot traffic is, anecdotally at least, a win for nature.

I haven't noticed an increase in wildlife and/or fish and I have been out every weekend since ice out. 
I am really hoping the park is open for my holidays starting on the 4th...

5/23/2020 8:04 am  #56

scoutergriz wrote:

trippythings wrote:

solos wrote:

from what I saw yesterday don't bet on it! Some people were acting like it was party time! not distancing, not wearing masks, not obeying directions in the store, and standing yakking in bunches. Meanwhile the numbers are already starting to rise again.
I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I don't have much faith in it

Did you see this? https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/05/ctv-apologizes-footage-man-kissing-stranger-trinity-bellwoods-viral/

People are really taking things seriously...

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/23/2020 8:25 am  #57

So focus group of 1 but I went to Lowe’s the other day to pick up some deck stain.

I ordered online, choose store pick up and waited to be told it was ready. Went to the store parked in a curb side pick up spot, called a number and a kid came out and put it in my trunk. Zero interaction.  I was the ONLY person using this service and there were at least 100 people in line. 80-90% were Not wearing masks and almost 100% were only a few feet apart.

It isn’t IF there will be a second wave it’s WHEN and HOW BIG it will be.

I have late summer and early fall trips booked but imo  there is a very good chance we will be in lock down again.

I’m in favour of reopening where it makes sense but people have to buy in and keep up with precautions. Apparently that isn’t possible. .

Last edited by ShawnD (5/23/2020 8:27 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/23/2020 8:32 am  #58

ShawnD wrote:

So focus group of 1 but I went to Lowe’s the other day to pick up some deck stain.

I ordered online, choose store pick up and waited to be told it was ready. Went to the store parked in a curb side pick up spot, called a number and a kid came out and put it in my trunk. Zero interaction.  I was the ONLY person using this service and there were at least 100 people in line. 80-90% were Not wearing masks and almost 100% were only a few feet apart.

It isn’t IF there will be a second wave it’s WHEN and HOW BIG it will be.

I have late summer and early fall trips booked but imo  there is a very good chance we will be in lock down again.

I’m in favour of reopening where it makes sense but people have to buy in and keep up with precautions. Apparently that isn’t possible. .

I had the exact same experience at Canadian Tire on Thursday. There was a line along the store to go in and shop, a second line almost as long to go in to customer service and pick up your online order or 5 empty parking spots you could go to, call a number and have someone bring your online order to your car and put it in the trunk.  If you really need to go in, I understand waiting in line and going in. But why go in to pick up an item they will bring out to you and put in your trunk for you?

5/23/2020 6:28 pm  #59

I don't see an end to this soon in Peterborough both Canadian tire stores are a free for all with no one controlling the door traffic. Stores are absolutely packed with people just wandering around just to get out of house. I can see a big jump in numbers soon coming with the way people are acting as if nothing ever happened. 

My guess is the parks are closed for the year as it will be too much work maintaining clean facilities the way people are acting and not caring. 

5/24/2020 7:04 am  #60

Jdbonney; "But why go in to pick up an item they will bring out to you and put in your trunk for you?" In my case I had to go in to colour match a gallon of paint for a half painted wall that's been driving me nuts for a month. Some things can't be done online.
As much as I hate going there, Home Depot did have a kid in masks and gloves spraying down carts for your use and an actual professional security guard with a counter making sure that no-one snuck in, but once you got in the store, it was no holds barred. the Local food Basics had a guard too.

Last edited by scoutergriz (5/24/2020 7:08 am)

5/24/2020 9:18 am  #61

scoutergriz wrote:

Jdbonney; "But why go in to pick up an item they will bring out to you and put in your trunk for you?" In my case I had to go in to colour match a gallon of paint for a half painted wall that's been driving me nuts for a month. Some things can't be done online.
As much as I hate going there, Home Depot did have a kid in masks and gloves spraying down carts for your use and an actual professional security guard with a counter making sure that no-one snuck in, but once you got in the store, it was no holds barred. the Local food Basics had a guard too.

Perhaps the full quote would be more appropriate

If you really need to go in, I understand waiting in line and going in. But why go in to pick up an item they will bring out to you and put in your trunk for you?

5/26/2020 6:10 am  #62

A comparison of conditions down here in eastern PA:  our hardware stores have someone at the entrance and exit with a digital counter; when they reach their defined capacity (which is relatively low to ensure limited contact inside) they wait until someone exits the store before permitting others to enter.  Lines are marked on the ground with the 2 meter distance and are generally well-respected.

The thing that bugs me is when you see a family of three or four shopping together...mistake, in my opinion.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.