You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2016 1:00 pm  #1

New book "More About...The Camboose Shanty"

One cannot objectively review one’s own books, so this is but a “notice of publication” of another in the “More About” series of short Algonquin Park human history books, in this case “More About… The Camboose Shanty: Home to the Shantymen of the 19th Century”.

Printed through a self-publishing program in the final days of 2015, using (regrettably because of the current exchange rate) an American firm, “this book tells the story of the type of structure that housed the shantymen of the Ottawa Valley during the 19th Century, serving as kitchen, dining room, living room and bedroom all in one. Included are narratives ‘of the time’ as well as recollections in later years. Here is information about what men and supplies went to the shanties, and how they got there” and what life-style the men lived. “Included, as well, is a chapter on the camboose shanty exhibit at the Algonquin Logging Museum in Algonquin Provincial Park.” So, the content may be of interest, even if you have not seen the Algonquin Logging Museum camboose shanty (yet).

This book follows the format of the other “More About…” books individually written by Roderick (Rory) MacKay and fellow historian Gaye Clemson. It is 8.5” by 5.5”, with 94 pages of text, and it has a $20.00 US cover price. The Friends of Algonquin Park sell it for a price of $20.00 CAN plus tax at their bookstores or on-line.  It is also available as an e-book through Amazon.

I cannot recall if a notice was posted here by me earlier in the year about another book I had self-published in 2015, but throwing modesty to the wind and following the thought that “He who tooteth not his own horn, that same horn shall not be tooted”, I refer you to another title.
“More About…J.R. Booth: Lumberman, Railroad Builder, Industrialist and Great Canadian” is “the story of John Rudolphus Booth (1827-1925) who had a significant influence on Algonquin Provincial Park, the Ottawa valley, and the City of Ottawa. He built a business empire based on timber, lumber, grain, pulp and paper and at one time employed thousands of men” (including shantymen who lived in camboose shanties) “in his bush camps and lumber mills. Booth was also behind the construction of a railway from Georgian Bay to Ottawa that at one time ran through Algonquin Park.

This book also follows the format of the other “More About…” books individually written by Roderick (Rory) MacKay and fellow historian Gaye Clemson. It is 8.5” by 5.5”,  with 86 pages of text, and it has a $20.00 US cover price. The Friends of Algonquin Park sell it for a price of $20.00 CAN plus tax at their bookstores or on-line.  It is also available as an e-book through Amazon.

Print runs for both books are in the order of 150 copies, so by the economy of scale the manufacturing price and thus the cover price for each title is higher than for books printed by the thousands or tens of thousands. I hope that the readers finds that the value of the research and information within each title exceeds the cover price. Sales through The Friends of Algonquin Park help support their programs. These two titles are also available at The Mad Musher. 

Roderick (Rory) MacKay

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.