You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2020 3:01 pm  #1

Canoe Seatback

In order to extend our canoe trips in greater comfort, I purchased the Harmony folding cane canoe seat for my wife (link below).  Unfortunately, it doesn't fit the front or back of our Swift Prospector (although it does fit the back of my Souris River 17' which makes me quite comfortable, but raises the ire of the individual whom I was trying to comfort).

So I was wondering, what do you folks recommend/use for back support in a canoe?  We normally canoe seated instead of kneeling; generally for leisure and enjoyment.  I've tried some of the fabric/aluminum 'sit-backers' but haven't been particularly satisfied with their quality - they seem to sag into lay-z-boy mode after a few trips and don't offer the needed support.

After looking at the design, I think I could make a custom version of the Harmony that would fit both canoes in the front seat but it would test the limits of my woodworking tools and I would have to learn to cane something (I would be proud to tell someone that I know how to cane a seat though).

https://www.austinkayak.com/Harmony-Folding-Cane-Canoe-Chair/ACK9752P.html

5/11/2020 3:15 pm  #2

Re: Canoe Seatback

Pretty sure Swift recommends these in their boats. Sorry I’ve never used one.

https://www.gcioutdoor.com/canoe-seats/sitbacker-canoe-seat/

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/11/2020 4:12 pm  #3

ShawnD wrote:

Oh the older I get the more appealing that looks, I can imagine a nice leisurely paddle in the evening listening to the loons with that at my back.

5/11/2020 4:32 pm  #4

ShawnD wrote:

We have this exact seat. I bought it as a gift for my wife before we went on a week-long 3-person canoe trip several years back. It stayed in the middle of the canoe, so I can't speak to how it fit in other areas. I sat in it a few times during the trip and found it quite comfy.

5/11/2020 6:51 pm  #5

Rats...that's the style that I've found to be a little "iffy" over time.  Maybe I'll look at some different designs of that style.  I've used them before an they help, but they seem to prematurely break down (maybe it's because I'm a bit of an ox).

5/11/2020 6:55 pm  #6

I have been using something similar to this for years.  I find that it gives me just enough back support while seated in the canoe, and with a little adjustment works great while kneeling too. Great for sitting around the fire or chilling out watching the stars. It also folds flat so you can nap anywhere. I put a couple of carabiners on the handles and clip it on to my pack when portaging.
https://www.amazon.ca/The-Coleman-Company-2000020281-Stadium/dp/B003399128

5/12/2020 5:19 am  #7

Thanks for the options, folks.  Perhaps a seat-backer would do just fine for her...

5/12/2020 8:15 am  #8

The sitbacker has a somewhat solid seat where the "normal" stadium style one don't, so as the foam softens or breaks down it loses  any ability to support the back

5/12/2020 10:40 am  #9

good tip. Thanks!

5/16/2020 5:42 pm  #10

5/16/2020 8:54 pm  #11

I've used my GCI Sitbacker occasionally, and made a point of using it today on a day-paddle to our local reservoir. I chanced upon one as a throw-in when I made a deal on some other used gear on Kijiji. I don't particularly like this sort of seat because I don't think they're conducive to supporting the torso (abdominals) during serious single or double-blade paddling. Leaning back on these things compromises efficient paddling strokes. That, and they're too heavy to tote along on BC trips. They ARE nice, though, for restful in-boat stops for snacks, for fishing, and for lazing about in the boat. They buckle to canoe seats easily and don't jiggle around too much. The top metal bar likes to remind your back that it's there, but wearing your PFD will soften up the contact point.

I much prefer using back bands similar to those pictured in one of the above responses. 1) They're light  
2) they're a nice support for snacking, fishing, and lazing in,  and 3)  if they're a good fit with your back they can be a good support when double-blading. I don't like them when single blading as I'm bothered by the straps at elbow height. When single-blading and paddling to get somewhere I fold the back band (actually, a hanging kayak seat in my case) down, and just use it as a thin bum pad.

Hope these observations help.

5/18/2020 10:08 am  #12

Thanks, Rob & Martin.  The thought crossed my mind to rig something like a lower back tump line attached to the gunwales - I'll inspect these couple of options first.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.