You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2020 12:20 pm  #1

Ontario to reopen provincial parks for day use starting Monday

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/09/2020 12:51 pm  #2

Re: Ontario to reopen provincial parks for day use starting Monday

"Yes officer, I always bring my 110L canoe pack with me on day trips..." 

5/09/2020 1:30 pm  #3

LMFAO RCSpartan! I was headed up north anyway's, so a side trip is now in order! Can't wait to dip the paddle!

I'm just gone Fishin!

5/09/2020 1:39 pm  #4

Is there a way to obtain a day permit online? Can't seem to find anything. The gate is probably still closed as l just called them and the voicemail is full lol. B) Just wondering if they still have the self service machine at the gate. Been awhile since l've been at the west gate. Can always call them Monday l guess. Don't feel like waiting around till 9am. I'd have my limit by then lol.

I'm just gone Fishin!

5/09/2020 2:18 pm  #5

Visitors will be able to access all parks and conservation reserves for free until the end of the month.  .

But no info that I can find as to whether Algonquin is open on Monday.

5/09/2020 2:38 pm  #6

The Parks memo I read said "non-operating" parks open Monday, "operating" parks Friday. APP and other Ont. parks that have campgrounds are "operating" parks. At least that's my understanding. Our local (sw ontario) prov. park's website hasn't clearly spelled anything out yet, so there is bound to be confusion stemming from the terminology used. Hopefully, Parks Ontario will clarify.

5/09/2020 2:42 pm  #7

Paddling not allowed apparently

Recreational activities will be limited to walking, hiking, biking and bird-watching, said Ford at a daily news briefing at Queen's Park.

However, access is free.

5/09/2020 3:12 pm  #8

"All buildings and washrooms, water taps, back country campsites and roofed accommodations will be closed. No group activities will be allowed." ... time to "rough it"!

https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/05/ontario-opening-provincial-parks-and-conservation-reserves.html

5/09/2020 3:33 pm  #9

Strange.  Nothing has changed about Covid19 since March except that our hospitals haven't been overrun, we have some insight but we also still have plenty of deaths.  Yet in spite of worker safety issues it is now ok to visit the parks (don't go to your cottage, don't get your boat, but do go to the parks?).  Hopefully park staff have been working to anticipate this eventuality over the last few months and won't be put in a bad position in terms of keeping things managed.  Having no facilities open should make things a little less onerous for staff on one hand but also wondering what bathrooms people will be using as they complete their hours long visit - not at the park, not at the restaurant that is closed, not at the gas station.  I am thrilled to hear that parks will be opening in some capacity but am worried about the range of planning that has gone into this.  

5/09/2020 5:30 pm  #10

My guess would be that vault type toilets, the type typically found at a trailhead, would be available but facilities with running water and flush toilets would still be closed.

5/09/2020 9:06 pm  #11

GordK wrote:

Strange.  Nothing has changed about Covid19 since March except that our hospitals haven't been overrun, we have some insight but we also still have plenty of deaths.  Yet in spite of worker safety issues it is now ok to visit the parks (don't go to your cottage, don't get your boat, but do go to the parks?).  Hopefully park staff have been working to anticipate this eventuality over the last few months and won't be put in a bad position in terms of keeping things managed.  Having no facilities open should make things a little less onerous for staff on one hand but also wondering what bathrooms people will be using as they complete their hours long visit - not at the park, not at the restaurant that is closed, not at the gas station.  I am thrilled to hear that parks will be opening in some capacity but am worried about the range of planning that has gone into this.  

The government knows we can't eliminate the virus completely by staying home, it's too far spread and will always come back.

Instead, the plan is to keep the spread below the rate of one infection passed on for every person infected. This is called R0 < 1. At this pace, the number of people infected will decay exponentially over time... until either a vaccine is developed, or until we achieve herd immunity.

If enough people are interacting to the point where every person infected passes coronavirus on to more than one person (on average), I.e. R0 > 1, the numbers infected will grow exponentially. At that point, the government will need to reel in the freedoms and we'll need to go back to where we were.

I'd argue letting people outside will have a negligible effect on R0. I think the things we need to avoid is sending large amounts of people into small areas. This includes:

-packing buses and commuter trains
-packing offices
-packing sports arenas and concert halls
-filling planes to capacity
-having conventions
-having large gatherings such as weddings
-packing night clubs

All of these activities have the capability of a single person infecting a large number of people.

Outdoor activities where human to human interaction is limited and inherently distant will not have a great effect on R0.

Last edited by JoeScmoe (5/09/2020 9:19 pm)

5/10/2020 6:45 am  #12

with respect to Algonquin Park:

UPDATE: At this time, we do not know the management implications for Algonquin Park. Please check back for more details as they are released pertaining to this announcement.

@ 7:30 am Sunday ( http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2020/2020-03-14_covid19.php )

5/10/2020 9:41 am  #13

When does/ will crown land open? Perhaps a run up the Oxtongue to Victory Lake is in order.

5/10/2020 9:43 am  #14

The goal of the restrictions was, is, and should be to make sure our healthcare system can handle the number of people that need hospitalization/an ICU unit. The number of cases and deaths are way lower than any of the models shown to us at the beginning of April. Also there are way more hospital beds and ICU units open at this point than was predicted. As a result there is absolutely no reason not to open up a lot of business where it will be no problem to practice social distancing.

Also the majority of all deaths are residents of nursing and old age homes. The remainder of deaths most likely are also older people ( Over 65? ) and people who are either obese, are diabetic, have hart problems, or have lung problems. Yes there will be some exceptions.

If we would put all our efforts into protecting these groups of people than we really could just open up everything where social distancing can be realizes.

In a number of countries they have done random street blood tests to find out the percentage of people who already have anti bodies and the number varies form 4 to 40%. The result is that the actual cases are many multiples of the official confirmed cases. If you would go with the 4% and apply it to Ontario than that would mean there most likely are actually already about 600000 cases in Ontario resulting in a death rate of 0.175%. This is a lower death rate than the yearly flu.

The only thing that makes the Corona virus different is that it is new to us and as a result no one, before this started, had any anti bodies. 100% of the population ( Until there is a vaccine ) would/will potentially get sick and as a result we will have to protect the most vulnerable.

Talk to RN’s they will tell you they have never seen the hospitals so empty.

Anyway I see no reason at this point not to open up parks as long as people will stick to social distancing and yes there will have to be protocols in place for washroom/shower facilities.

5/10/2020 1:26 pm  #15

LeoV wrote:

The goal of the restrictions was, is, and should be to make sure our healthcare system can handle the number of people that need hospitalization/an ICU unit. The number of cases and deaths are way lower than any of the models shown to us at the beginning of April. Also there are way more hospital beds and ICU units open at this point than was predicted. As a result there is absolutely no reason not to open up a lot of business where it will be no problem to practice social distancing.

Also the majority of all deaths are residents of nursing and old age homes. The remainder of deaths most likely are also older people ( Over 65? ) and people who are either obese, are diabetic, have hart problems, or have lung problems. Yes there will be some exceptions.

If we would put all our efforts into protecting these groups of people than we really could just open up everything where social distancing can be realizes.

In a number of countries they have done random street blood tests to find out the percentage of people who already have anti bodies and the number varies form 4 to 40%. The result is that the actual cases are many multiples of the official confirmed cases. If you would go with the 4% and apply it to Ontario than that would mean there most likely are actually already about 600000 cases in Ontario resulting in a death rate of 0.175%. This is a lower death rate than the yearly flu.

The only thing that makes the Corona virus different is that it is new to us and as a result no one, before this started, had any anti bodies. 100% of the population ( Until there is a vaccine ) would/will potentially get sick and as a result we will have to protect the most vulnerable.

Talk to RN’s they will tell you they have never seen the hospitals so empty.

Anyway I see no reason at this point not to open up parks as long as people will stick to social distancing and yes there will have to be protocols in place for washroom/shower facilities.

As someone who is still active and in my mid 70s, I take a certain amount of offense at your posting.

5/10/2020 2:50 pm  #16

Not sure why you would take offence? I am suggesting more effort to protecting the more vulnerable and still for everybody ells to socially distance themselves while opening up the economy etc. At least, as a society, we will be able to come out at the other end of this with some kind of standard of living and not totally destroy our economy.

Personally I am also getting up there in age so probably are at more risk than others. Knowing that I protect myself accordingly. If I protect myself than there is no reason why people who are not at risk ( Or not as much at risk as me.) should not be able to go out and enjoy themselves because I am at more risk? Would be a little selfish I would say.

Just read an other report stating that out of all deaths in Ontario only about 200 where outside of retirement/long term care facilities. That is about 1 person in 75000…..

Now if you are still active you are probably in good shape so have basically nothing to fear.

5/10/2020 3:39 pm  #17

Hey Leo!  I'm 72 and have moderately high blood pressure and nominally overweight. I do feel a bit of vulnerability to the Covid risks. It took me a few days to adjust to that reality. But I'm accepting that risk and trying to maintain my exercise regimen of daily hour-long walks.

What I do find offensive is our regional health director proclaiming that all those 70 and older should stay at home. If I'd taken his direction over the past couple of months, I'm darn sure my health would have suffered from the inactivity!

Should I get the virus, I'd rather be in half-decent health going-in!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.