You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2020 10:55 am  #1

Two night, mid-September trip - Misty, David

Well, since I have no camping trips to plan just yet, I finally sat down and finished the video for my last trip of 2019. September through the end of camping season is often impossible for me due to my job, but I decided if I headed up early Saturday morning and then got up really, really early Monday morning, I could get in a decent trip and still get work done on Monday. 

And so Monday morning I portaged out of David in the dark, in time to greet a gorgeous dawn on Ralph Bice - it was pretty incredible. Hope you enjoy it!

4/28/2020 12:01 pm  #2

Re: Two night, mid-September trip - Misty, David

I've stopped for lunch on that Misty campsite. Thanks for the memories!

4/28/2020 12:59 pm  #3

Wow that night travel was something else!  The sound of your paddle in the water in the dark was creeping me out.  I wouldn't recommend it for Joe Average camper, but you know what you're doing and that  portage isn't bad. 

The sunrise on Ralph Bice was worth it (well, almost - you had to wake up pretty doggone early to see it....).  That was lovely.  Those are the moments that make an Algonquin trip so special - where there can be stillness in the solitude, when you witness something grand, and you're able to participate briefly in what truly is a fleeting moment.  Thanks for sharing that.

4/28/2020 2:16 pm  #4

Awesome video man!  I've always thought it's so hard to get yourself out of bed before sunrise but that last day is exactly why it can pay off....that was beautiful!

4/29/2020 10:45 am  #5

@John: I've stayed on Misty a few times and never gave that particular site so much as a glance - but I actually quite liked it! It was raining and I was heading back the other way the next day so didn't particularly want to head any deeper into Misty than I needed to, so it was a pleasant surprise. 

@MooseWhizzer: It was dark, but not quite as dark as the cameras imply. The moon was out and I had my headlamp on, so I had some visibility. Portaging in the dark isn't a particularly big deal as long as it's a fairly well-traveled portage - I wouldn't want to be trying to pick out the path by headlamp on a low maintenance trail though. And yeah - it was totally worth it to get that dawn on Ralph Bice. 

@Steve: thanks! It doesn't hurt that I'm an early riser by habit - my normal wake-up time is about 4:30 AM, so often on camping trips I'm awake and reading in my tent, waiting impatiently for the sun to come up so I can start my day. 

4/29/2020 10:48 am  #6

4:24--4:34!!! Says it all. . . . .  I felt a rush and broke out into a huge grin watching that brief moment.
Thank you!

4/29/2020 11:46 am  #7

When I go with my dad we'll quite often do a night paddle and often a portage as well (just the hike without gear though).  On quiet, moonlit night a paddle like that is an amazing experience.  As much as I love the beauty that you can see during the day in the park, I almost prefer the night time experience.  I find all of your senses get heightened and the park takes on such a mysterious vibe..I love it!  

5/02/2020 4:59 pm  #8

@oldboyscout: On the first day of every trip I get that moment. It can sometimes take hours because I'm focused on getting where I'm going, but when I finally slow down for a moment and realize where I am, it's the most amazing feeling. 

@Steve: moonlight paddles definitely aren't the norm for me - I go to bed early and wake up early. But I really enjoyed the experience of being up and on the move that early in the morning, so I suspect I'll be at that again soon. If my across the park trip happens this summer I've got two extremely long travel days - so why not start them in the dark? 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.