You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2020 8:11 am  #1

crown land camping now banned

i just read the press release on my c.c.r. that the ontario government  just banned all crown land camping,, i could not get the article to cut and paste, there fore i can not prove  it up,,, looks authentic ,, 

4/11/2020 8:16 am  #2

Re: crown land camping now banned

Here is the article: https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/04/ontario-takes-further-action-to-stop-the-spread-of-covid-19.html

And here is an excerpt:

Prohibiting recreational camping on Crown land as of April 9, 2020. Under the emergency order, no individual can camp on Crown land, including the placement of tents or other camping structures while the order is in effect. The government will continue to monitor the situation and re-evaluate if further actions are required.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/11/2020 11:09 am  #3

i was waiting for it to happen! Too many people think it's a big game, and keep trying to dodge the rules!

4/11/2020 8:02 pm  #4

Devastating but nice that it is still open for day trips. Waiting to hear about Turkey season, it opens April 25 and have held off on buying a tag until I hear confirmation that it won’t be canceled.

4/15/2020 12:12 pm  #5

Awe no way! There goes plan D......

I'm just gone Fishin!

4/15/2020 12:53 pm  #6

A little chuckle for us suffering from cabin fever!

4/25/2020 1:33 am  #7

So crown land camping is banned but fishing season is on as usual.  Seems like a big if a consistency issue.

4/25/2020 8:53 pm  #8

OFAH is a pretty powerful lobby group. As a hunter, I appreciate it. It would be good to have something like that for camping... 

4/29/2020 7:42 am  #9

So.... I can go fishing on crown land? I can't seem to find any concrete evidence saying so. I know, no camping and no camp fires (no shore lunch). I'll be solo so no social distancing is involved. I haven't heard of any ridiculous tickets being handed out for anything related. 

I'm just gone Fishin!

4/29/2020 9:13 am  #10

Yes, you can go fishing or hunting on crown land just not allowed to camp or have a fire. Should be nice to get out this weekend, I imagine the blackflies will be crazy by next weekend.

4/29/2020 5:54 pm  #11

Does anyone know the status of fishing in the waters of the Haliburton Water Trails? The website says:

All outdoor recreational amenities are closed until further notice. All campsites associated with the Haliburton Highlands Water Trails are closed, no new reservations are being accepted at this time. All Algonquin Highlands Hiking Trails are closed.

As far as I know, this is Crown land with an agreement for the township to manage the campsites. As we know, fishing on Crown land is permitted.

The question is, could the township stop me from accessing the portage down to Big East, or block off the parking lots? Could I park on the road instead?

4/29/2020 10:57 pm  #12

I'd say go for it, but if you park on the road id recommend leaving a note of some form on your windshield. I used to park on the roadside and hike into Anson in winter for some fishing. Came back to my car being tagged by OPP. It wasn't a ticket... Just a tag hanging on the driver side door handle. Perhaps marking the oddness of an abandoned car in the middle of winter?

4/30/2020 7:10 am  #13

Zemanticsd wrote:

It wasn't a ticket... Just a tag hanging on the driver side door handle. Perhaps marking the oddness of an abandoned car in the middle of winter?

the cops used to do that regularly, it was just so other cops didn't need to stop and investigate- they'd see the tag and just drive on

4/30/2020 7:14 am  #14

Joe Scmoe I'd call them directly and make sure, there could be an "exclusive use" agreement with Haliburton which includes the ability to establish rules and enforcement, just like a school is "public property" but you can still be charged with trespass.

5/04/2020 8:07 pm  #15

scoutergriz wrote:

Zemanticsd wrote:

It wasn't a ticket... Just a tag hanging on the driver side door handle. Perhaps marking the oddness of an abandoned car in the middle of winter?

the cops used to do that regularly, it was just so other cops didn't need to stop and investigate- they'd see the tag and just drive on

I figured as much. Didn't think much of it and drove off. Caught some nice splake that day to seal the deal, too!

5/08/2020 3:45 pm  #16

Well BlogTO just posted an article about crown land camping... which isn't great in my opinion since it will likely attract the wrong crowd.

But at least they do mention:

"There are no facilities offered on Crown land, and keeping the sites as clean as possible is of utmost importance. Make sure to follow the 'leave no trace' camping guidelines to protect the land." 

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2020/05/what-you-need-know-about-camping-crown-land-ontario/

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/08/2020 9:54 pm  #17

Yikes.  Although crown is available and encouraged to all who choose to enjoy it, that is one "news" outlet I wish wouldn't give readers detailed info on how to access.  

Not to sound too stuffy or anything, but this is how places like McCrae end up as garbage dumps. 

Kudos on them for recommending leave no trace and best camping practices, but still. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.