You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2020 12:25 pm  #35

Re: Ontario Parks Closed until June

Hi, been spectating on this conversation for a while - my best source for open, informed and relevant input on my may 10-15 non-trip.
don't know if this is right on topic, but, I'd be very interested in peoples thoughts.
Say we could go in the park now or in the near future, how do we do it safely? 

4/27/2020 12:30 pm  #36

Maybe the park could have some temporary rules added to the can/bottle etc sheet.

4/27/2020 12:43 pm  #37

spect8r wrote:

Depends on your level of precaution that you feel is appropriate. This is what I would do, but I know I'm at the far end of the spectrum and lots of people won't take the same measures.

- Purchase any gear, supplies, etc. two weeks prior. If you get infected during that process, you don't want to find out mid-trip. If you don't drive regularly, then get gas two weeks prior as well for the same logic and let the tank sit full until your trip

- Pack masks and gloves for any potential encounters on the way there or back (gas, washroom break), and/or if you are renting canoes (outfitters)

- Bring lysol wipes and hand sanitizers. Wipe down anything that you rent (including canoe) before starting the trip.

- Choose campsites that likely haven't been used in the past day or two to minimize the chance that items at the campsite (thunder box, etc.) are infected. You can look for obvious signs of recent use, or plan routes in less-crowded areas.

- Have a 2-way communication device at your side at all times (which is good practice anyways). An InReach or sat phone for example.

- Add a digital body temperature thermometer to your first aid kit.

- When travelling, avoid landing at portages at the same time as other groups, if possible. If you're double-carrying, leave your gear that's not on your body far enough away so that if another group arrives at the trail, they won't be in contact with it.

- On the trail, if you hear or see people coming, try and step off to the side, face away from them if possible (obviously more difficult with a canoe over your head), and wait a minute or so before travelling through their path to avoid walking through their wind tunnel or slipstream or whatever you want to call it (see images in this article for example)

I'm sure there are more things I would think of if/when actually planning my trip, but those are just a few off the top of my head.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/27/2020 12:55 pm  #38

spect8r wrote:

I'd be very interested in peoples thoughts.

So I can tell you what i was planning on doing if they had opened in May.

1) Trip would be solo or with people in my same household
2) I had ordered everything I needed online and delivered to the house, New fuel canisters, food etc.. ( although we have had all our food delivered since this whole thing started)
3) Travel with N95 mask, latex gloves, hand sanitizer and lysol wipes
4) Don't stop for anything, my car is full and I would bring coffee and food with me from home for the trip. no drive thrus
5) Travel in a car with low risk of any breakdown.
6) I bring a portable battery unit that can jump my car and inflate my tires if necessary. Again no need to stop or ask others for help.
7) I would bring dry pants and top if water temps warrant it. Again no risk of getting into trouble and needing to call in help.
8) If the park opened up the " print your own permit" option for AP I would have no need to interact with anyone.

Last edited by ShawnD (4/27/2020 1:42 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/27/2020 1:55 pm  #39

Today's announcement from Ford was a total disappointment.  No, you cannot provide dates or timelines, but you CAN provide concrete benchmarks to pass through in order to proceed to the next stage.

In listening to Ford, he thinks we can wait this out until a vaccine is found.

4/27/2020 7:46 pm  #40

PaPaddler wrote:

@Marko - I'd be interested to read the peer-reviewed published data about "the data that indicates Covid19-related deaths only accounting for 50% of excess mortality" if you have a link to it and it's not too much of a bother to post it. 

Hey PaP! Publications generally lag by a month, and the rate of literature output right now is insane. 

Interestingly, the NY data are out today, covered by NYT/WP etc:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/04/27/covid-19-death-toll-undercounted/
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/27/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html 

The Economist covered the excess mortality in other countries 11 days ago: 
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/04/16/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

Ontario is talking about opening golf courses. We may actually live in a time when people are playing golf, but are banned from entering crown (i.e. our own) land to camp. Maybe they will open to two-somes only? 

4/27/2020 8:26 pm  #41

I missed the part about golf courses opening up in today's announcement. All I heard was if we get less infections, we'll open some unspecified things.

What I wanted to hear was a concrete plan like in other jurisdictions. I.E. when the infection rate falls below x cases for y days, we're going to reopen parks, allow golfing, open patios, allow get-togethers of 10 or less, etc.

We got nothing.

4/27/2020 8:34 pm  #42

spect8r wrote:

Hi, been spectating on this conversation for a while - my best source for open, informed and relevant input on my may 10-15 non-trip.
don't know if this is right on topic, but, I'd be very interested in peoples thoughts.

Protects against black flys too.

4/28/2020 5:21 am  #43

@ Marko - thanks a bunch - I'll keep my eyes open for the journal-based research - I know it's going on like gangbusters but I have a jaded eye towards media sources and research data...always seems skewed with publisher's bias.

@Solos - your cheeks are exposed...black flies will murder you.  It is incredible how they exploit any exposed, untreated skin.

4/28/2020 12:19 pm  #44

trippythings, ShawnD,
Thanks for your collective ideas on backcountry Covid safety.   They make a pretty good case we can be as safe from Covid as golf/boating/fishing/hunting.        

4/28/2020 7:27 pm  #45

PaPaddler wrote:

@Solos - your cheeks are exposed...black flies will murder you.  It is incredible how they exploit any exposed, untreated skin.

True true! Maybe it’s only good against allergies, stinking toddler poop, and dust from cutting fire brick for a crazy experiment to see if I can heat a tarp/tent/tipi structure with a batch rocket stove in the winter.

4/28/2020 8:35 pm  #46

JoeScmoe wrote:

Jdbonney wrote:

I’m unsure I would call anyone on this forum anti camping.

At this point we’re getting closer to the loosening of restrictions. Hopefully sooner than later but ultimately at the say so of our government. Until then I hope we can all stay the course because we seem to be doing quite well.

Aren't you a little upset though that the government said the goal was to keep the curve below the capacity of the hospitals... And now that we've far undershot that target, they still haven't given us any freedoms back? Especially ones that by all logical measures would not bump the curve?

The best thing to do right now is continue with that course. We need to focus on keeping the numbers low, and if we lighten restrictions before things are fully under control, we'll have a fast and dangerous resurgence.
It is unfortunate that we're losing camping time and have restrictions, but I would much prefer to keep healthy and not spread the virus further than possible.

4/30/2020 11:56 am  #47

hmm. I do not fully understand why the park and crown land are closed but can accept it without fully understanding. I think this is all a work in progress, both down here in northern NY and up with you guys.
We hike at local parks now. If you are coming down the trail we step off and give you 2m. I don't wear a mask while outdoors in an open area but some do. I may start wearing it more to have others feel at ease.

Why park could be / should be closed (In my humble opinion)
- People like me, from far away, would be drawn to the park and its area (thwarted by that pesky border closure). Some would be conscientious, some would be mingling with the locals as they pick up last minute supplies.
- Wow - never thought about having the Covid-bug show up mid trip. Beaver fever on steroids.
- "Camping", for my non-camping friends means the same as RV'ing. Packing people into the corridor campgrounds can be dispersed, every other site, but the washrooms would be tough. So either you catch it or people are digging cat holes two steps into the tree line.
- In NY we have people flocking from metro areas to rural areas. Cottage country and such. Bringing the bug with them in cases. I could seriously see park hopping across Ontario for a couple of months if my job situation permitted it. Parks could see an influx of longer termed guests in front country or back country.

Why park could be / should be open (In my humble opinion):
- if I can play golf I should be able to hike or back country camp.
- if I am being told it is safe to go back to work I would expect more recreational to be open.

Interesting quirk down here. Fitness centers were on the list. Papers showed that some lobbyists from that industry had been stopping by to pay their respects to our President. So there is a fitness lobby. I am sure there is a golf lobby. Porbably a boating / fishing lobby. We need Kevin Callahan to head to Ottawa.

Last edited by tenderfoot (4/30/2020 7:09 pm)

5/02/2020 12:59 pm  #48

That's a well tended green you've got there.  Well done!

5/02/2020 3:38 pm  #49

I dunno John, I never took you for a golfer.  That doesn't seem like a very valley thing to do.

5/02/2020 4:04 pm  #50

Could be worse.  Michigan state parks closed for camping till June 22 If they are lucky.

I see the issues with the parks-- even for back country.  They dont want people traveling and transmitting.  We need to get some businesses open and I get that camping is one of them.  I believe the problem facing every one is there is still a shortage of ppe even basics to allow even a limited start up of anything.  I dont know about you guys,  but I cant get Lysol or Lysol wipes or gloves etc let alone any form of mask that is not home made.  

Think about having the responsibility of insuring your employees (park employees) have all of the needed PPE at this time. Its going to be a bit before even a large portion of people get back to work in a regular fashion with enough PPE.  

Lets all stay safe,  close to home and get through this.  

5/22/2020 10:32 pm  #51

So currently we expect they will open the parks in early June, perfect for a 50/50 ratio of black flys to mosquitoes. But from what I’ve been seeing in the local neighborhoods is that social distancing is no longer being practiced. If anyone is willing to brave the bugs then they will be lucky enough to experience the park before all this reckless abandon causes a massive second wave that will lock down everything again. However, I really hope I can take an early July trip.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.