You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2020 4:44 pm  #1

Map storage

How do you guys store your maps?

I basically have a huge stack of them on a bookshelf. Anyone have a better solution to keep them organized?

James

4/26/2020 4:48 pm  #2

Re: Map storage

i laminated my favs,, other maps rolled and in marked map tubes,,,

Last edited by swedish pimple (4/26/2020 6:06 pm)

4/26/2020 10:37 pm  #3

I have this ridiculous souvenir algonquin map habit, where I get a park map whenever I take a trip.  I mark the trip on the map, and they all live on a shelf on a bookshelf.  When I'm in the park, I print out a screenshot of the relevant Jeff Maps section, laminate it, and keep it in my hat or shirt pocket (depends which hat I have with me).  

4/26/2020 10:41 pm  #4

When I’m on trip I just bring whatever map I need. Unless it’s out of print, which is rare, I just bring the original and if it gets wrecked I replace it.

What I was asking about is storage and organization at home. I’m wondering if anyone has come up with a better solution than just shoving them all into a pile on a shelf.

4/27/2020 6:56 am  #5

perhaps you should have a look at my previous post above,,  and tell me what you think?     two ideas for storage that suit me,  
    i guess you over looked my reply,,  l.o.l.

4/27/2020 6:58 am  #6

No sorry I didn’t mean to overlook yours but I see that as more of a method of preserving the maps. Which is of course valuable but it still just leaves them stuffed on a shelf or
Rolled up in a corner.  I was wondering if anyone had an idea for organizing them. As I’m writing this I’m thinking a simple accordion file may be the way to go.

Last edited by Jdbonney (4/27/2020 7:00 am)

4/27/2020 8:42 am  #7

Alphabetical?  By geography?  By physical folded size?

4/27/2020 8:57 am  #8

PaPaddler wrote:

Alphabetical?  By geography?  By physical folded size?

Yes, yes and yes.

Any of those would be good ways to store them. Interested in a way to store them in any of those methods using some kind of folder, organizer box or.....?

I get the impression it’s mostly just stick them all together on a shelf, or rolled up like Swede said but I’m wondering if there is a better way. Hoping someone on here has an alternate way they organize theirs.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.