You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2020 3:54 pm  #1

Six Days Solo in Algonquin: Misty, White Trout, McIntosh Loop

I shared my video from this trip a while back but finally got around to putting the full trip report on my site. A bit of warning, it's over 6,000 words, a ton of pictures, and there's 16 campsite reports to go with it. It was a really great trip though and spending the last week reminiscing while getting this up on the website really makes me hope we'll get to do some camping this season!

Trip Report: https://algonquinbeyond.com/trip-reports/six-days-solo-in-algonquin/

Video:

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/18/2020 5:49 pm  #2

Re: Six Days Solo in Algonquin: Misty, White Trout, McIntosh Loop

Nice write up.

My wife and I did the same route many years ago, I really
liked the section of Petawawa after misty into white trout and grassy bay is magic in my opinion. I love marshy paddles.

Campsite reports are appreciated.

4/18/2020 6:44 pm  #3

Thanks! Mag/Hambone/White Trout/Grassy Bay I had been to before, but the rest was new territory for me. Completely agree about the Pet after Misty and Grassy Bay... those were definitely my favourite paddles of the trip.

I really appreciated the east end of Misty as well, there's a much stronger feeling of solitude, it's almost like a different lake completely from the west end. Reminds me of Burnt Island, the west is swarming with people but no one wants to paddle to the east so it's usually a ghost town once you pass the halfway mark lol. At least that's my experience from the times I've paddled through it.

algonquinbeyond.com

4/19/2020 9:50 am  #4

Great report.

One interesting thing: the island campsite on White Trout - there was a massive root fire sometime this year. If you noticed, the spruce were all dead and burned on the whole island, the pine survived.

I'm not sure what started it, but I suspect it may have been that secondary firepit.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers
Marko

4/19/2020 11:52 am  #5

Great stuff man!  Really enjoying your website as well, some really great content there.  Thanks a ton for sharing.  Looking forward to seeing more!

4/20/2020 8:33 am  #6

Marko_Mrko wrote:

Great report.

One interesting thing: the island campsite on White Trout - there was a massive root fire sometime this year. If you noticed, the spruce were all dead and burned on the whole island, the pine survived.

I'm not sure what started it, but I suspect it may have been that secondary firepit.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers
Marko

Oh no, that's terrible. Do you know what time in the year? I was there in September and there were no signs of fire that I noticed. Or do you mean the other horseshoe shaped island?

Steve E wrote:

Great stuff man!  Really enjoying your website as well, some really great content there.  Thanks a ton for sharing.  Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks, really appreciate it!

algonquinbeyond.com

4/21/2020 8:25 am  #7

Great report!!! Really helped get my mind back to the outdoors and away from. . . . . . .  well, you know

4/21/2020 11:25 am  #8

Great report and great pictures. Really nice to be able to put myself back in the Park in nicer weather, if only for a little while. 

4/21/2020 3:29 pm  #9

Great report Cody.  Was fun running into you for the second time in APP again. 

4/21/2020 7:24 pm  #10

oldboyscout wrote:

Great report!!! Really helped get my mind back to the outdoors and away from. . . . . . .  well, you know

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Great report and great pictures. Really nice to be able to put myself back in the Park in nicer weather, if only for a little while. 

​Thanks!

TripperMike wrote:

Great report Cody.  Was fun running into you for the second time in APP again. 

We've bumped into each other during the only two week-long solo trips that I've done... see you again this fall?

John Connelly wrote:

Cody ... Your pictures and words are a pleasure .
Enjoyed your gift of description of the quarter moon on White Trout .... you had this reader feeling like I was there .
Had a good chuckle , with your spider experience , I sure as hell can relate .
Have had pet snakes most of my life , but when there's a wolf spider in my canoe , I'm jumpin like a scared rabbit .
Curious of the bones ... they look like that of a snapping turtle . The tell tale sign ... the triangular shaped spikes at the  end of the flat shell segments .

Thank you, much appreciated! That night on White Trout was one of those moments that words just don't give justice to. I was really curious about the bones as well, but unless it was something really obvious like moose antlers I probably wouldn't be able to identify them anyways.

algonquinbeyond.com

4/21/2020 9:54 pm  #11

We were there around August 20th. 

The small island site, east of the horseshoe island. Pretty sure it's the one you stayed on. 

All the spruce on the island are dead. Looks like it was probably from the previous season, cause they were very dry...

M

4/22/2020 8:00 am  #12

Marko_Mrko wrote:

We were there around August 20th. 

The small island site, east of the horseshoe island. Pretty sure it's the one you stayed on. 

All the spruce on the island are dead. Looks like it was probably from the previous season, cause they were very dry...

M

I'm usually very observant about those things but I guess I must have been completely oblivious to it because I didn't even notice. 

algonquinbeyond.com

4/23/2020 5:38 am  #13

trippythings wrote:

I'm usually very observant about those things but I guess I must have been completely oblivious to it because I didn't even notice. 

If you look at your YouTube video around  1:30 mark, you can see that all the spruce are dead and brown in the background 

M

4/23/2020 10:40 am  #14

Great TR Cody, thanks!  I was watching the video again as well.  Enjoyed the first time you posted and just as much this time around especially with the report to fill in details.  You did a great job producing - better than Patrick Watson's team did making his version, though I may be biased toward park imagery I guess.

4/23/2020 12:41 pm  #15

GordK wrote:

Great TR Cody, thanks!  I was watching the video again as well.  Enjoyed the first time you posted and just as much this time around especially with the report to fill in details.  You did a great job producing - better than Patrick Watson's team did making his version, though I may be biased toward park imagery I guess.

Hahah thanks! I'm usually not the biggest fan of his music videos, but I actually enjoyed the video for Broken.

On a related note, as much as I hate having cell service in the park, he released Dream for Dreaming with the Wave album announcement while I was on McIntosh Lake and I was able to have my first listen while alone on the lake watching the stars. Music is very special to me and Patrick is one of my favourites, so I was really lucky to have that moment. I knew right away I was going to use a Patrick song for the trip video.

Last edited by trippythings (4/23/2020 1:06 pm)

algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.