You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2020 1:24 pm  #86


Re: To paddle....or not.

keg wrote:

trippythings wrote:

An alternate way of looking at things would be to ask yourself "would this be ok to do if everyone was doing it?". For example, if you went on a day paddle, ...

 
We could extend this to anything. Outside of these current circumstances would it be okay for everyone to camp on crown land? Okay if everyone drove to work? Okay if everyone wanted to ride the same bike path? Okay if everyone bought a canoe?

The reality is everyone won't. The only people who would go paddle are people who have access to a boat and that automatically limits the number.

I do get your point but the level of hypothetical speculation weakens the argument.

lol too funny awesome logic...so i will not be using my toilet today because you know would i really want everyone to take a dump in MY toilet today

Last edited by aq977111 (4/15/2020 1:25 pm)

 

4/15/2020 1:28 pm  #87


Re: To paddle....or not.

aq977111 wrote:

keg wrote:

trippythings wrote:

An alternate way of looking at things would be to ask yourself "would this be ok to do if everyone was doing it?". For example, if you went on a day paddle, ...

 
We could extend this to anything. Outside of these current circumstances would it be okay for everyone to camp on crown land? Okay if everyone drove to work? Okay if everyone wanted to ride the same bike path? Okay if everyone bought a canoe?

The reality is everyone won't. The only people who would go paddle are people who have access to a boat and that automatically limits the number.

I do get your point but the level of hypothetical speculation weakens the argument.

lol too funny awesome logic...so i will not be using my toilet today because you know would i really want everyone to take a dump in toilet today

I actually agree wholeheartedly with trippythings on this and I think your analogy is silly.

I expect you'd be pretty pissed off if I was allowed to do a back country trip and you weren't, even though objectively speaking one person doing one trip would have virtually 0 impact. Why am *I* so special? 
 

 

4/15/2020 1:52 pm  #88


Re: To paddle....or not.

JoeScmoe wrote:

If the parks do open, will anyone be tempted to limit their travel distance in case they get sick somewhere in the backcountry?

 I wonder if they would open the front country first, and then the back-country maybe weeks later?

Starting to think I should make some park bookings for June just in case the ban lifts by then. People will be chomping at the bit to get out and a normally quiet June could be a bit crazy. I'll be one of those chompershttps://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cute.png

 

 

4/15/2020 1:55 pm  #89


Re: To paddle....or not.

John McClane wrote:

aq977111 wrote:

keg wrote:

 
We could extend this to anything. Outside of these current circumstances would it be okay for everyone to camp on crown land? Okay if everyone drove to work? Okay if everyone wanted to ride the same bike path? Okay if everyone bought a canoe?

The reality is everyone won't. The only people who would go paddle are people who have access to a boat and that automatically limits the number.

I do get your point but the level of hypothetical speculation weakens the argument.

lol too funny awesome logic...so i will not be using my toilet today because you know would i really want everyone to take a dump in toilet today

I actually agree wholeheartedly with trippythings on this and I think your analogy is silly.

I expect you'd be pretty pissed off if I was allowed to do a back country trip and you weren't, even though objectively speaking one person doing one trip would have virtually 0 impact. Why am *I* so special? 
 

 
People in Toronto can walk out their front door and take a tax payer subsidized subway ride to a Blue Jays game in the summer time. They can drink a few too many wobbly pops and get a tax payer subsided ride home. People in rural areas have to drive.

People in rural areas have uncrowded parks, lakes, and rivers. Torontonians do not.

We all have different benefits to living where we do. As a semi-rural dweller, I don't think a Jays fan shouldn't be able to take the subway to and from the game, because I have to drive at the very least to the nearest GO Station.

Last edited by JoeScmoe (4/15/2020 1:59 pm)

 

4/15/2020 2:00 pm  #90


Re: To paddle....or not.

And imagine if every drunk Jays fan got on the subway after the game... 

 

4/15/2020 4:01 pm  #91


Re: To paddle....or not.

Wow. I don't think we've had a discussion thread go so far down the rabbit-hole!

A "hypothetical paddle" in one's own neighbouorhood obviously doesn't create more risk of community spread than a walk around the block. However, paddling is a marginally riskier activity which theoretically could place more demand on essential medical services if the associated risk came to pass.

At this point, this discussion thread has 6 pages. It appears to me that some comments are ignoring points already recognized in earlier pages. It's starting to remind me of the cascading "straw-man" arguments and "kicking-of-a-dead-dog" one often finds on FB.

I'm asking that we resist the temptation to take a discussion and turn it into an "argument" or "debate".

On a purposely different but hopefully encouraging note ... "Looking ahead, Fauci said if the new coronavirus continues to circulate widely enough over the summer and fall, it might be possible to finish larger studies slightly sooner than the 12 to 18 months he'd originally predicted — maybe toward "mid to late winter of next season."" ( https://www.voanews.com/science-health/search-covid-19-vaccine-heats-china-us ) Does that put a rosy tint on the 2021 canoeing season?

Thanks everyone.

 

4/15/2020 4:29 pm  #92


Re: To paddle....or not.

In think people's minds are already made up one way or another but cudos to Barry for letting a civil discussion take place.

 

4/15/2020 8:17 pm  #93


Re: To paddle....or not.

https://www.goldismoney2.com/attachments/social_distance-jpg.159986/
social distance idea

 

4/20/2020 8:44 am  #94


Re: To paddle....or not.

thanks john,, i thought about using the pembrook lumber kings colours  when i fabricate my hoops, i have lawn darts hoops and whoo laa hoops to start with,,, i might move to the big O plastic pipes  for the finishing trim,,,
   i think the fellow in the photo is from europe,,
       stay isolated my friend
   

 

4/20/2020 12:52 pm  #95


Re: To paddle....or not.

So, some very good news.

https://nationalpost.com/news/covid-19-pandemic-in-ontario-peaks-early-fewer-people-dying-than-feared

Basically we keep doing what we’re doing for a little longer and summer camping might be happening.

     Thread Starter
 

4/20/2020 2:45 pm  #96


Re: To paddle....or not.

Looks like a frame for making a 100 Gallon hat. 

swedish pimple wrote:

https://www.goldismoney2.com/attachments/social_distance-jpg.159986/
social distance idea

 

 

4/20/2020 3:55 pm  #97


Re: To paddle....or not.

To answer the question I know is on the tip of everyone's tongue:  If every person on earth utilized a 6' social distance, it would require 54,768 square miles.  The habitable living space on earth is 24,642,757 square miles.  So the good news is nobody has to stand in the middle of a body of water, and there still should be plenty of room for canoes. 

Assumptions:
1) 8' circles were used for the math, so I accounted for the human in the middle of the circle, and even I am surprised I remembered to account for that.
2) This assumes that every single person is walking around at the same time, either on the first floor of a building or outside.
3) 2018 world population estimate.  

Naturally, all of this depends upon my ability to do math, which, according to Mr. Ford back in 7th Grade, requires a leap of faith on the part of the reader.  He was intimidating, but he wasn't wrong.  So your mileage may vary.

 

4/22/2020 3:51 pm  #98


Re: To paddle....or not.

They have closed walking trails here just south of Ottawa. If the goal is to stop the spread of the virus can someone tell me why they close walking trails but leave fast food restaurants open for take out?   ever see a kitchen at mcdonalds … people are working almost on top of each other so you would have to think that's a recipe to spread the virus … yet they remain open.  Couldn't we survive without fast food for a couple of months ?   

 

4/22/2020 4:29 pm  #99


Re: To paddle....or not.

C'mon DW...are you telling me you've never had a Mac Attack!?!?!?!  A couple of months without some Rotten Ronnie's could lead to a different kind of crisis. https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png


Seriously though, I agree that at a glance that not all things seem to be balanced or make sense. If I were to put myself in the decision maker's shoes, I'm thinking that restaurants are left open for take-out as a quasi-essential service/source for people to feed themselves and these businesses/employers can enforce good practices within their restaurants whereas trying to do the same for the public on walking trails is probably not as feasible.

 

4/22/2020 7:54 pm  #100


Re: To paddle....or not.

I normally eat way more fast food than I care to admit. But since the day they closed everything up and I started working from home, I haven't had a single meal, coffee, or snack that wasn't home cooked/brewed.

I've saved a ton of cash and lost a few pounds too. I know my way around the kitchen (I worked in restaurants all through university), but between commuting 30 minutes each way to the office and running two kids to rep hockey, there's not a lot of hours in the day to cook proper meals.

Tonight's Tortellini in Alfredo sure beats a Whopper and fries!

 

4/22/2020 10:44 pm  #101


Re: To paddle....or not.

dead weight; they HAD to close the trails around here and block off any places to park (tow away zones now) because we were inundated by idiots coming in from the city after a large daily printed that both the town and conservation authority trails would remain open but the facilities and offices would be closed, blocking roads, parking in people's driveways, CRAPPING in a friend's backyard, and packing onto the trails in crowds bigger than any I've ever seen. the local conservation area had to call in the OPP it was so bad.
As for the fast food, there are hundreds of truckers, shift workers, and on- call crews that rely on them for a quick meal. you can't expect a trucker to drive across country to live on sandwiches for a week. just like you can't expect someone to go home and start prepping a meal while waking up the entire house, especially if they've been running off their feet for 15 hours in a hospital or other emergency services. Our local firehall has closed the kitchen to prevent contact.

 

4/24/2020 3:03 pm  #102


Re: To paddle....or not.

scoutergriz .. thers no doubt we have become dependent on fast food … no argument there.  But this is a pandemic.  Everybody has changed their lives so that for the most part non-essential trips are simply not done.  I used to get a Timmies every AM on the way to work … havent gone near one in a month … make my own at home.  I'm sure a trucker can make his or her own sandwiches for a couple of months or grab a sandwich at a truck stop.  If it means that some elderly folks in long term care are alive when this is over then how can we not do it.  

Around here the closing of trails was because there were a few bad apples walking too close together .. why not post a few municipal employees at the trail head  to monitor folks breaking the rules ?  Municipal offices are closed so there must be at least a few with time to spare …   

Last edited by Dead_Weight (DW) (4/24/2020 3:05 pm)

 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.