You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2020 9:43 am  #103

Re: Algonquin Park Closed till at least April 30

No offence to me, I am getting use to people telling others what they think they should be doing....Its great

4/18/2020 11:41 am  #104

aq977111 wrote:

Thats fine but does that mean we wait for a vaccine....I really don't think that is an option.

If we can increase testing capacity, introduce antibody testing, improve contact tracing, and increase supply of PPE, then we'll be able to start bringing things back to normal. Vaccine and/or herd immunity are the two solutions but we don't need to wait for either one of those if we can 'control' the virus. We're just very poorly prepared right now so the isolation is really just buying us time to get more prepared. I agree with you waiting for a vaccine just isn't realistic.

northernfox wrote:

Morning all, as we all appreciate our concerns for society as a whole.  Maybe its just me but I don't come here for an political debate.  Sorry if I offend some but I wish we'd move on to the sites intended topics/policy.  

It has deviated more towards virus talk and less about camping (with the relevance to camping coming back occasionally). But it's also really easy to just not click on the one or two threads that are talking about the virus... there's still the rest of the forum.

Maybe Barry should close these threads down and have one general COVID & Camping thread in Trip Planning (since people are using these discussions to plan for/against their trips) for all covid related talk.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/18/2020 4:07 pm  #105

Re:"Maybe Barry should close these threads down"
This discussion thread is titled "Algonquin Park Closed till at least April 30"  , 
which occurred because of Covid-19.

If this discussion thread isn't to your liking, simply click on the "Trip Planning" link, where there are plenty of other topics, or simply start a new discussion. No doubt about it though, how Covid-19 is impacting our Algonquin-related activities is pre-occuppying us. 

4/18/2020 9:04 pm  #106

BarryB wrote:

Re:"Maybe Barry should close these threads down"
This discussion thread is titled "Algonquin Park Closed till at least April 30"  , 
which occurred because of Covid-19.

If this discussion thread isn't to your liking, simply click on the "Trip Planning" link, where there are plenty of other topics, or simply start a new discussion. No doubt about it though, how Covid-19 is impacting our Algonquin-related activities is pre-occuppying us. 

^^^liked^^^

4/19/2020 6:11 am  #107

We are in uncharted waters that have substantial impacts on our behaviors, activities and thoughts.  There has been and continues to be an impact on the physical and emotional well-being of many members of our society.  I believe it is good to have these discussions and, to some extent, therapeutic to consider options, discuss impact and explore our feelings on the matter.  Many of us have referred to the positive emotional impact a trip into the lakes and woods of Algonquin make us feel - this pandemic is impacting many in real, measured ways and in many subliminal ways. 

I also believe the importance of many of our previously treasured pastimes (i.e. sports, camping, etc.) have been given a powerful reality check of just where they rank in comparison to the value of a life.  The decisions being made for us by our elected leaders should be respected and adhered to - the sooner we are able to get to manageable levels of infections, coupled with appropriate guidelines for interaction, the sooner we will get back to the pastimes we enjoy.  Granted, canoeing will get approval far earlier than attendance at a hockey game, but both will come and both will come faster if we work together.

4/19/2020 6:46 am  #108

Very good post

4/21/2020 4:52 pm  #109

A glimmer of hope in today's premier's update.

Zip over to 20:40 . The premier's nephew has lobbied him to open summer camps!

4/21/2020 5:20 pm  #110

Thx Barry. I have a booking starting May 17 and I’m
beginning to think it might just happen. He said outdoor activities are being looked at in the first wave and you don’t get a much better social distancing outdoor activity then what we all do for fun.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/22/2020 10:18 am  #111

CTV news just now...

"Premier predicts loosening restrictions by Victoria day"

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ontario-premier-predicts-loosening-of-covid-19-restrictions-by-victoria-day-schools-may-be-last-to-reopen-1.4906840

Last edited by ShawnD (4/22/2020 10:49 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/22/2020 2:57 pm  #112

That’s really good news.

Keep doing what we’re doing and the chances of camping only improve.

4/22/2020 3:40 pm  #113

Closure or not I would not want to be on the water today … breezy and cold as heck here in Ottawa.  

4/22/2020 5:58 pm  #114

Dead_Weight (DW) wrote:

Closure or not I would not want to be on the water today … breezy and cold as heck here in Ottawa.  

This ^^^^^

Woke up to snow on the ground and a lot of swearing on my part. 

I generally love it here in Ottawa, but every once in a while I’ll start wondering why I’m willingly living in thIs land that spring forgot instead of some place warmer, like everywhere else.

4/24/2020 3:13 pm  #115

I know .. it looked like an early spring a while back .. snow left, got warmer, etc.  Now we have taken a couple of steps back.  But its looking good for the weekend .. 

4/25/2020 1:39 am  #116

Lenny wrote:

I'm thankful we have Minister ... 

Yet provincial parks and crown land camping are closed.  Seems the people you are praising aren't very consistent.

Last edited by keg (4/25/2020 1:42 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.