You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2020 10:45 am  #1

Ice Out Update?

I mean, not that it has much bearing on my near term plans, but anyone near the Park got an update on how the ice is doing up there? I've got April 24 in the AO ice out contest and hoping for some sweet sweet bragging rights.

4/17/2020 1:03 pm  #2

Re: Ice Out Update?

Friends of Algonquin Park are calling for before April 25th now. I have the 24th too Drew  

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

Last edited by ShawnD (4/17/2020 1:04 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/17/2020 2:22 pm  #3

Nice. I've got a good feeling about that day.

ShawnD wrote:

Friends of Algonquin Park are calling for before April 25th now. I have the 24th too Drew  

4/20/2020 1:39 pm  #4

Spring Lake in Dwight was ice free on April 11th.  From my experience Canoe Lake is typically ice free 7-10 after Spring Lake is.  Given the cooler than normal temperatures this past week has definitely slowed the melt up here but I'm sure the ice will be out by or before opener.  Not that it matters.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/21/2020 6:52 am  #5

I know Pickerel Lake thawed on the 14th. I was up north this weekend. South river was open this Friday. Heard the loons for the first time this year. Always amazing. For anyone who follows the satellite pics, today there is a great shot. All lakes to the east west and south of the park are open. You can tell where the park is right now with the last of the frozen lakes. Kinda cool. 

I'm just gone Fishin!

4/21/2020 7:49 am  #6

Can someone post a link to those satellite pictures? I can never remember where to find them.

4/21/2020 7:54 am  #7

The latest image shows the ice is off of Radiant and Traverse, but Cedar and Opeongo are still frozen. Image taken yesterday.

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=g&page=1

4/21/2020 10:47 am  #8

You beat me to it Peek! Great tool isn't it? I use it a lot for viewing the Niagara river in the fall too. Looking at the Algonquin web cam, there are changes to Fork lake now too. Finger are super crossed for May 1st!

I'm just gone Fishin!

4/21/2020 1:32 pm  #9

It was a blizzard on the FOAP webcam a few minutes ago but now that things have settled you can still see the lake is white - and not with white caps : )  I could be mis-interpreting but looks like ice still holding up that snowfall.

4/21/2020 2:39 pm  #10

There were a few lengthy dark spots. But ya totally looks all white now. Won't be long. With this wind we're having too bad it wasn't a little warmer. Would have taken care of it lol

I'm just gone Fishin!

4/22/2020 10:14 pm  #11

Splakin wrote:

You beat me to it Peek! Great tool isn't it? I use it a lot for viewing the Niagara river in the fall too.

I can't make head or tail out of those pictures of the Great Lakes. The cloud cover looks like it's been total in recent days - all the clouds packed together like that reminds me of hoar frost. )-:

Last edited by Roman_K2 (4/22/2020 10:14 pm)

4/23/2020 8:40 am  #12

Checking the pic from yesterday. Looks as though LOTR is pretty much open. I see the park received a dusting too. That doesn't help melt things. Should be good to go for next week. 

I'm just gone Fishin!

4/23/2020 2:49 pm  #13

Norway lake looks about 50% open on the Algonquin live cam .

4/30/2020 5:40 pm  #14

I Guess its a mute point when we have to wait another month.....

5/01/2020 9:22 am  #15

Reliable sources have told me that Source Lake opened up yesterday and that Cedar was mostly frozen with some open water a couple of days ago.

5/04/2020 9:58 am  #16

Looks like they're calling Ope ice free April 30th this year..

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.