You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2020 1:32 pm  #1

Maggie Lake by canoe?

I know there are a few hikers that have visited Maggie and maybe they have the answers or anyone else?  I was looking at Maggie and wondering about visiting the island sites. 
- Jeffs Map v.5 shows an unofficial portage from A35 to the lake - does anyone know if I can park at A35 and carry a canoe into Maggie?  Condition of that portage and if this is frowned upon or more like how the unofficial trail to High Falls at Achray is now a signed trail by the Parks?
- I do see that i can reserve backcountry canoe sites on Maggie and assume this is just the island sites? (the rest look like they are for hikers)  Anyone ever checked these sites out?
- A lot of hike camp sites on Maggie, does that mean things are busy here like a Canoe lake only with hikers instead of canoeists?

Thanks

4/10/2020 2:39 pm  #2

Re: Maggie Lake by canoe?

Hi Gord,
I don't know anything about the unofficial portage, but have hiked by Maggie Lake a number of times. As it is relatively close to the trailhead, the sites can fill up with hikers, especially on weekends. I believe you are correct that canoeists can only reserve the island sites. It may be the better choice for natural surroundings as the hike-in sites I've seen are well worn. I see the canoe sites are labeled black on Jeffsmaps, which means they are poorly maintained, most probably due to lack of use (which may be a bonus diamond in the rough, who knows!). 
Hope that helps.
Rich

Last edited by hiker72 (4/10/2020 2:40 pm)

4/10/2020 8:55 pm  #3

I once read a trip report that mentioned they couldn’t find the second canoe campsite.

Also, with the number of hiker sites and the proximity to the trailhead, I would expect more than the average amount of noise.

I’m going to guess that since A35 is labeled on the map that there should be a suitable parking spot. The area is Crown Land but if I were to park there I would make sure to put my permit on the dash. You can expect that the security is on the low side but that can be said if many other parking spots.

4/12/2020 11:09 am  #4

Thanks.  "well worn sites" does make it sound busy or at least busier, might give the overnight stay a pass and just make it a hike instead.  

7/10/2021 3:39 am  #5

As a reference to future travelers, I have hiked the A35 to Marion Lake numerous times and found the turnoff to Maggie to be quite difficult in 2021.  It is a 2km portage through dense growth to get there.  I have hiked numerous times through the area, including the ruins at Mink Lake and following the river back to Marion.  While there would be parking available at the turnoff to Maggie, the entrance to Algonquin is most often locked (not always) and only passable by bicycle or foot which would require another 2.5-3km of hiking through a very accessible gravel road.

The gate was unlocked from my experience from August 31st -October 29th 2020 but locked from June 5th - present (July 05, 2021) so it would require a 4.5+km portage to access the lake.  Also, Marion Lake has since turned into a swamp with low water levels.  Moose crossings have become accessible to people as the average depth has decreased from three feet to one foot since the beginning of June.

Last edited by FriendlyCarl (7/10/2021 3:56 am)

7/12/2021 10:21 am  #6

Thanks for the update FC.  Rich/Hiker72 kind of steered me away from this idea as not likely worth it but you've added some icing to that cake : )

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.