You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2020 12:41 pm  #1

Tarp Pole Hack

I have 2 extendable MEC tarp poles that I bring on almost every trip (always front country and most often back country as well) as I find them super valuable in keeping a taut tarp with maximum head space (i also have a ridiculously large tarp from MEC that is a challenge to keep taut).  I've always had a couple issues with them though:

1.  Im always nervous sticking the blunt end of the pole up under the middle of the tarp as I'm worried it will damage the tarp.
2.  Typically any type of buffeting wind where the tarp lifts up I end up with a tarp pole crashing to the ground so I'll spend the day constantly putting the pole back in place until it blows over again.

So to (hopefully) solve both these issues I drilled 2 small holes at the end of each pole and then looped some cord through a half tennis ball.  The tennis ball will give a bit of a buffer between the tarp and pole and hopefully mitigate any damage by butting that end up under the tarp. The loop of cord will allow me to actually attach the end of the pole to the tarp itself (my tarps have buckles on the underside) or the the loops at the tarp ends.  Hopefully when the wind blows the tarp up the pole goes with it and then lands back in place when the wind drops. 

Yes...I'm terribly bored!

4/12/2020 7:32 am  #2

Re: Tarp Pole Hack

That's a great idea!!!!! I'm going to steal that one. Hopefully we get a chance to put it to the test this year

4/12/2020 8:40 am  #3

What kind of knot do you use to tighten your tarp?

Last edited by Jdbonney (4/12/2020 8:40 am)

4/12/2020 10:09 am  #4

Jdbonney wrote:

What kind of knot do you use to tighten your tarp?

I use a center ridge line and then attach the tarp with 2 prusik knots.  I like that way as I can tighten the tarp easily.  On the tie-outs I use a taut line hitch.  Again I like those because I can tighten or loosen the tie-outs as the tarp stretches out.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.