You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2020 8:34 pm  #18

Re: To paddle....or not.

That’s not an interpretation. It’s the dictionary definition.

4/09/2020 8:50 pm  #19

I went paddling yesterday on a local pond. Didn't get closer than 20ft to anyone. Apparently this is bad?

I did see some of the locals walking on their neighborhood walking path beside the pond. Wasn't busy, but they were passing each other from time to time. Apparently this is still okay?

4/09/2020 8:58 pm  #20

Hard to tell based on your 6 lines of text. I’m sure both are ok.

4/09/2020 9:11 pm  #21

If you don’t want to be chastised, don’t post items that warrant it.

4/09/2020 9:17 pm  #22

So I’m a fascist for posting an article about choosing to stay home during a pandemic.

Thanks John. Very levelled of you.

4/09/2020 9:52 pm  #23

and invoking Mussolini is the correct response?

I speak for 1. Myself. I’ve listened to all and rebutted those to which I disagree. That is the nature of debate. You may not like my viewpoint, Nor I yours. Does not mean I have ignored yours. I

4/09/2020 10:43 pm  #24

Cheers.

4/09/2020 11:46 pm  #25

Not entirely sure what I’ve agreed to. Nice belt buckle though.

4/10/2020 6:34 am  #26

So, John's at it again- attacking others over semantics!

4/10/2020 6:59 am  #27

Yes, words have definitions. But words may be inaccurately used. The vast majority of Ontario is not presently under a "lock-down" or a "quarantine".

Certain emergency measures are in effect .. specific closures, social distancing, etc. To throw the "Q" word around will do nothing to calm anxieties. Words have power. 

4/10/2020 7:02 am  #28

Oh boy ! This is gonna be a long quarantine.

I’ll bury this belt buckle on HAPPY Isle when the park opens back up for someone to find. How about that?

Last edited by ShawnD (4/10/2020 7:16 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/10/2020 7:06 am  #29

Lol. Shawn you just missed Barry there. Like the buckle

I have no issue with the quarantine word, understanding it as defined in my post above and not how others have interpreted.

4/10/2020 7:40 am  #30

I choose not jump into this debate at this time (although I think I did comment earlier).  Instead let me just highlight the (currently) informative thread over on myCCR --  https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=47935&view=unread#unread including the linked video https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/04/08/Video-Pandemic-Decisions/ .  The focus of that thread on myCCR is crown land camping rather than day paddling but I think it is of relevance.  My apologies to Jdbonney if he feels this is a hijack.

(I remain undecided about the ethics of day paddles.  (Camping is inappropriate at the present time.)  I think day paddles are probably OK under some circumstances in some environments.  But my personal choice is not at this time.  I will reevaluate in mid May when the bugs come out.)

4/10/2020 7:52 am  #31

Nice video on the tyee site. Thanks for sharing.

4/10/2020 8:09 am  #32

rgcmce wrote:

....(I remain undecided about the ethics of day paddles.  (Camping is inappropriate at the present time.)  I think day paddles are probably OK under some circumstances in some environments.  But my personal choice is not at this time.  I will reevaluate in mid May when the bugs come out.)

An alternate way of looking at things would be to ask yourself "would this be ok to do if everyone was doing it?". For example, if you went on a day paddle, would it be ok if everyone who wanted to go for a day paddle ended up going? If you think that would create a high risk environment, then you should avoid going yourself. Why should you get to do something that is only an option for you at the expense of others? (rhetorical question). But if you ask that question and your answer is that it wouldn't create a high risk environment, then it's ok to do that activity without feeling guilty. As long as you're still working within the official/legal guidelines set out by the government.

- If everyone who wanted to go backcountry camping did end up going, would that create unnecessary risk right now?
- If everyone who wanted to go for a day paddle did end up going, would that create unnecessary risk right now?
- If everyone who wanted to go for a walk around their neighbourhood did end up walking, would that create unnecessary risk right now?
- If everyone who wanted to go to their cottage for the long weekend did end up going, would that create unnecessary risk right now?

I'm intentionally not giving my "yes" or "no" answers for each of those questions, but it's one way to look at things. If it's low-risk for me to do an activity only because everyone else isn't doing it, is that really fair?

And obviously the question doesn't apply for necessities like groceries and pharmacies, things you actually NEED (not just "want").

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/10/2020 8:13 am  #33

I like your points.

Down the rabbit hole we go again.

4/10/2020 8:30 am  #34

To the points that trippythings mentioned I would add.  Can any activity that burns gas and thus necessitates extra trips to the gas station be rationalized?

Anyway, considering all theses issues, my personal answer is "no day paddling at this time".  I may reevaluate in mid May when the bugs come out and we have a better handle on where the pandemic is going.  Furthermore, I suspect by then we will have a clearer view of what is or is not acceptable both via peer pressure and government clarifications and further restrictions or rescinding of restrictions (although I don't think the latter is very likely).

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.