You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2020 1:23 pm  #1

Trip-log by Randy Born - Sept. 2019 to Pen Lake

6 days - with side trips to Clydegale, Welcome and Gem Lakes ...

http://algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/RandyBorn2/

3/31/2020 2:05 pm  #2

Re: Trip-log by Randy Born - Sept. 2019 to Pen Lake

Great report. Thanks for sharing! I have to admit, I'm terrified of bringing chicken on trip and every day the chicken on a stick dinner got postponed my stomach clenched just a bit. Glad it all worked out!

4/01/2020 7:09 am  #3

I do like the appeal of easy-access, heavy load base camping in the shoulder seasons.  It just makes for a leisurely trip where you don't have to rush or worry about much...except broken canoes and lost boots.

4/01/2020 8:56 am  #4

Hi Randy! I really enjoyed your trip report. You are a very good story-teller!! I have been up to Gem twice and both times skunked. It is a difficult portage with the steep hill, downed trees and logs. But it has a nice rock face. I wonder just who has had good luck on Gem. Anyway, fun to read. Thanks...

4/01/2020 9:22 am  #5

tess wrote:

Hi Randy! I really enjoyed your trip report. You are a very good story-teller!! I have been up to Gem twice and both times skunked. It is a difficult portage with the steep hill, downed trees and logs. But it has a nice rock face. I wonder just who has had good luck on Gem. Anyway, fun to read. Thanks...

Well, I have but it was back around 2014.  Gem is a beautiful lake and so is Sandy Lake, which I prefer to fish between these two.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/01/2020 9:28 am  #6

Great report Barry, thanks for posting. I sometimes feel a little guilty about the camp food my kids get when we're out - nice to see the veterans share a similar menu. Although it didn't sound like you guys were doing many s'mores - unless you count the adult version which comes in a cup.   September last year did seem to have a lot of rain.  We were out the weekend after you guys I think and had some good torrential downpours.  I recall Drew reporting something similar as well in his TR on Pen.  Nevertheless, love September camping.

4/05/2020 5:10 pm  #7

Yeah, we were out the next weekend in that area and also got rained on quite a bit. Still, like Gord says, September is a great time for camping.

4/05/2020 5:40 pm  #8

Writing the log helped with cabin fever as does Mark in the Park Season 2

Kudos to Barry as his layout of the trip log definitely enhanced the final result with picture enhancement like “ click for larger image”

Thanks to all for reading the trip log and your feedback . Here’s  hoping we can possibly get a trip of two in the park this season

Til then
Stay safe

Ra :-) :-) on

4/05/2020 7:00 pm  #9

Jimmy's a character, ain't he? Thanks for the report!

BTW, last time I was in hist store, I noticed the worm fridge: Les Appats Ste-Martine - I had just driven 5 hours and I meet worms from down the street.

Last edited by scratchypants (4/05/2020 7:02 pm)

4/07/2020 6:11 pm  #10

Yes sir, Jimmy is quite the individual.
One thing for sure he is always on time for a water taxi pickup 
and should you arrive a tad early you might find him resting 
at the portage :-) 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.