You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2020 3:06 pm  #1

Total Fire Ban Coming To Ontario Friday

Hmm really didn't see this coming but i guess it makes sense.

Starting Friday, April 3rd the ban applies to all cottages, private and commercial properties. That includes use of an outdoor fire grate, fire place or fire pit.

https://thecampingcanuck.net/covid-19-sparks-fire-ban-in-ontario/20704/

4/02/2020 8:52 pm  #2

Re: Total Fire Ban Coming To Ontario Friday

Thanks for the info. This is going to make camping just a little more unattractive. Doesn’t sound like the ban applies to Crown land but I’m thinking they’ll soon ban anyone from camping on Crown land.

4/02/2020 9:00 pm  #3

Seems to apply everywhere, as per the Ontario Forest Fire website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/forest-fires

For all Zones in the fire region of Ontario

In order to ensure public safety and well-being during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak, Ontario will be declaring a Restricted Fire Zone for the entire fire region of the province (Restricted Fire Zones 1 to 36) outlined in this pdf map, effective April 3rd, 2020 at 12:01 a.m.

4/03/2020 9:53 am  #4

Yes that ban applies to crown land. The usual 'loophole' is the other way around - that general fire bans don't apply to Provincial Parks. Of course this year the parks are already closed so you can't be there to have a fire in the first place. 

Something to be aware of is that the time between the snow melt and the leaves coming out is one of the driest times of the year in the forests. That makes it a high forest fire risk. I think it was the Fort McMurray fire that started May 1st 2016 that really increased awareness of this. Since then the townships around our cottage have been very rigorous about having a fire ban in place in the mid-spring timeframe. The difference this year is that the MNR is proactively announcing a ban for the whole province. 

4/03/2020 6:32 pm  #5

Well, looks like I will have to take in my battery operated campfire should I go camping on crown land.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/03/2020 7:54 pm  #6

If you were listening to the Ontario projections for this disease over the next month and beyond and the subsequent news conference by Ford, you'd be responsible and stay home.

4/03/2020 11:00 pm  #7

With all due respect, I would not be a danger to anyone camping on crown land having taken all safety precautions to get there, and not stopping anywhere to pick anything up.

I am responsible and just don't TOTALLY believe the graphs where it predicts what will happen over 2 years.  Of course, the numbers would go down because the last thing I have heard re a vaccine for this virus would be ready in about 12-16 months.

Like I have already said is everybody do what they think is right and I will do what I think is right for me physically and mentally.

By the way, I bought my battery operated campfire from Amazon as well as some battery operated lights to enhance my campsite.

Last edited by boknows (4/03/2020 11:04 pm)

4/03/2020 11:34 pm  #8

rgcmce wrote:

If you were listening to the Ontario projections for this disease over the next month and beyond and the subsequent news conference by Ford, you'd be responsible and stay home.

I’ve been listening in everyday to Wikipedia on the “Wuhan flu” since mid January. There are no surprises. COVID kills the old and frail and the rest of us need to act in a socially responsible manner in order to save them. I’m not convinced that having a campfire is irresponsible.

P.S. Ford is rightfully called a bouffon by many people but so far he has stepped up as a good leader in a time of crisis.

4/04/2020 6:31 am  #9

And it kills the young, albeit at a slower rate.
The issue underlying the fire ban is that there will be a shortage of trained fire crews.  Normally, training would be occurring now.
Unnecessary travel is irresponsible.

4/04/2020 6:55 am  #10

Ken, that's not the only consideration; if you were to become stranded or injured, or your heart went sideways, you'd be pulling sorely needed resources away from other duties. even a simple sprain may require the need for a helicopter, crew, medic, ambulance and crew, doctor, nurse, and administration staff. That's a lot of moving parts

4/04/2020 9:17 am  #11

scoutergriz wrote:

Ken, that's not the  consideration f you were to become stranded or injured, or your heart went sideways, you'd be pulling sorely needed resources away from other duties. even a simple sprain may require the need for a helicopter, crew, medic, ambulance and crew, doctor, nurse, and administration staff. That's a lot of moving parts

I have never used outside resources in the past 50+ years of camping, and never plan to do so.  I have taken a few survival courses which has previously helped me before with a sprained ankle and a tear in soft tissue in my knee.  I knew what to do in situations like this. And I made it out by myself!  However, I have never had any heart problems while camping and again know what to do should such a thing happen.....no outside resources....just me.  And should I die, well, if I died where I am camping or if I died at home, I don't see much of a difference. I don't take in devices like people do these days in times of emergency. I guess I am just an old timer and prefer to handle things myself.  

I am not saying that everybody should go camping on crown land and I know just how serious this pandemic is in regards to coronavirus.  I am only speaking for me.  Stay safe!

4/05/2020 8:32 am  #12

Bo, you can always use a gas stove in a fire ban.  I get your itch and I understand.  We all do what we feel comfortable in life.

4/06/2020 4:45 pm  #13

Thamesman wrote:

Seems to apply everywhere, as per the Ontario Forest Fire website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/forest-fires

???! To be sure that is a bizarre web page but anyway when I went down the list to "Algoma and Algonquin..." and so on there was a little bit of pull-down information - but not on any of the red "warning" flag.

The pull-down that I saw said no fire restrictions at this time. So I'm guessing your results may vary!

Also, I have never heard of it being dry early in the year. My experience is usually pouring rain and cold or damp, flooded sections and soggy firewood.

4/06/2020 5:07 pm  #14

As per Premier Ford earlier today, those who had been going outside this past weekend for an unnecessary long walk, run, jog, etc. were being irresponsible.  And now these are now silent for some reason.  I wasn't able to do any of these healthy activities due to bad knees.  As I read in other posts, the walls are closing in fast and just staying inside WILL NOT cure this virus.  Pray for a fast vaccine.

Last edited by boknows (4/06/2020 5:19 pm)

5/15/2020 1:52 pm  #15

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) has announced that the current restricted fire zone which applies to all zones in the fire region of Ontario, will be lifted effective Saturday, May 16 at 12:01 am.

5/15/2020 2:17 pm  #16

However, we already have a fire in the park.  Near Otterpaw lake on the Bisset Creek Road.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.