You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2020 4:31 pm  #52

Re: Algonquin Park Closed till at least April 30

BarryB wrote:

I'm requesting that forum users actively support the province's effort to curb the spread of the virus.

I also ask that we fact-check our "news" before posting it! For example, a resort that is in Whitney is not in Algonquin Park. The angst-level around the pandemic is high enough without cranking it up with mis-information. Thanks.

Taken directly from their website.

3/4ths of Galeairy Lake is in Algonquin and 1/4th isn't. Again,  this is taken from Couple's Resort website.  Their resort is on the border just before Galeairy Lake turns into Algonquin Park.  And the 3/4ths of Galeairy Lake which is in Algonquin Park is used by their visitors.  Mind you, I knew that it was right on the border so thought that this was enough reason to post what I did.  And this after I emailed Doug Ford about this and now I understand it is closed, as well as other non-essential businesses in Ontario.  This is great news!

You can delete my post should you wish.  No offense taken.

Last edited by boknows (3/23/2020 4:39 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

3/23/2020 6:34 pm  #53

Hi Bo. I'm glad you "actively supported the province's effort to curb the spread of the virus".

I just didn't want the closing of the park (for the same reason) to appear to be selectively and unfairly enforced by a resort being allowed to operate within the closed park. I was concerned that such misinformation would unduly raise our "angst-level". 

3/23/2020 8:33 pm  #54

Barry, not a problem.

I just noticed on their website that they have announced they are closed and are now accepting reservations for May1st and onwards.  I hope they get lots of reservations and can fill them all.  Not because of romance, but because this means Ford has rescinded his all non-essential businesses in Ontario to be closed.  Which possibly means some interior tripping with some new rules.  It is still going to be a long April.  Question:  Is Algonquin Park a non-essential business in the eyes of our Ontario government?

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

3/23/2020 9:07 pm  #55

BarryB wrote:

I'm requesting that forum users actively support the province's effort to curb the spread of the virus.

I also ask that we fact-check our "news" before posting it! For example, a resort that is in Whitney is not in Algonquin Park. The angst-level around the pandemic is high enough without cranking it up with mis-information. Thanks.

Can we not question the government and its decisions? The GO system is still running. It is completely viable that the virus can spread there keeping us above the R0=1 factor. Backcountry camping has zero impact on this.

I agree there's something to closing car camping campgrounds and dense day use areas like Bronte. But places like Algonquin provide much needed outlets for people during times like this. We should be making more recreational opportunities that allow for safe social distancing. Not less.

3/23/2020 9:23 pm  #56

The National Capital Commission is now locking all their parking lots and will no longer groom the cross country ski trails in Gatineau Park.   The park was very busy on Sunday with hikers and skiers so I guess that is the rationale for discouraging usage.   Of course this will result in more pressure on other outdoor areas so my expectation is for more closures.

3/23/2020 9:47 pm  #57

Yea... people are being silly and overcrowding. It's a problem.

Ontario and Canada had a big jump in cases over the last three days. We are on a growth curve that exceeds all countries except Italy at this point in the pandemic. It's very likely this was the data that resulted in the decision for the provincial lock-down. However, our case growth is likely due to relatively high testing frequency, and the fact that reporting was delayed over the weekend. Nevertheless, it's not what we hope for.

Given it takes 2 weeks to see an effect of an intervention, and the fact that new cases are rapidly rising, there is absolutely ZERO chance the park is open for May 1. China is still on full lock-down, and they have just flattened. They are still on lockdown.

I'm looking at July 1st as the earliest possible opening day for parks.

This is an excellent daily YouTube report by a physician in London, summarizes the daily data in 5 minutes.

https://youtu.be/HrN0BdI5yBE

July 1st maybe. I give it 50/50. I'm planning for September and October. Let's hope it's a warm fall.

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (3/23/2020 9:49 pm)

3/24/2020 9:52 am  #58

JoeScmoe wrote:

BarryB wrote:

Can we not question the government and its decisions? The GO system is still running. It is completely viable that the virus can spread there keeping us above the R0=1 factor. Backcountry camping has zero impact on this.

I agree there's something to closing car camping campgrounds and dense day use areas like Bronte. But places like Algonquin provide much needed outlets for people during times like this. We should be making more recreational opportunities that allow for safe social distancing. Not less.

Joe, the impact goes a lot further than spreading this virus through community and close contact.  It has been said a million times here, but I will repeat it for you.  If someone in the back country is injured, falls ill, get's lost, wrecks a canoe etc. it would be a poor use of first responders time and resources to save their ass when so many people need crucial medical attention right now.  I've seen so many people on the Ontario Back Country FB group not understanding this as well.  Ryan Morin even pointed out that he has never seen this many people flocking to hwy 60 at this time of year.  More people = more risk of someone needing assistance and to keep these parks open for use right now would be irresponsible.  

The sooner people stop pushing back and understanding this, the sooner we can all get back out there.  It is that simple. 

3/24/2020 10:17 am  #59

Also...

"I agree there's something to closing car camping campgrounds and dense day use areas like Bronte."

If they close campgrounds and dense areas, where do you think those people are going to go? They're not just going to stay home. If backcountry is kept open, that's where they'll go.

So to add to Mike's post, the risk of injury, getting lost, etc. will go up exponentially if you have a sudden influx of inexperienced car campers now venturing out into the backcountry.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

3/24/2020 1:32 pm  #60

Yep, I have a hard time seeing the park being open for the May long weekend and have began to look at alternative trips to take. Things have been further clouded with the closure of the NY border and encouragement not to cross the Quebec border. I guess the nice thing about not having to commit to a reservation is I can use the weekend to hunt turkeys if I haven't tagged out by then. 

3/24/2020 5:19 pm  #61

trippythings wrote:

Also...

"I agree there's something to closing car camping campgrounds and dense day use areas like Bronte."

If they close campgrounds and dense areas, where do you think those people are going to go? They're not just going to stay home. If backcountry is kept open, that's where they'll go.

So to add to Mike's post, the risk of injury, getting lost, etc. will go up exponentially if you have a sudden influx of inexperienced car campers now venturing out into the backcountry.

Maybe we travel in different circles but the car campers I know won't be ending up in the Algonquin backcountry. There's no 50amp service and flush toilets!

Just as this thing is growing exponentially, it's also going to decay exponentially. Unfortunately, this means summer is in all likelihood out of the question.

3/25/2020 8:01 pm  #62

Great thread! From a park-specific standpoint I think I am creeped out more by the various recent water advisories and handling protocols (see "blue algae") and more broadly giardia than I am by the current pandemic but yeah, all kinds of issues at play. In fact the first economic effect I read of back in January I guess it was, involved the disappearance of tourists from China.

At any rate the virus has apparently been confirmed in Muskoka: https://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/9911702-muskoka-has-its-first-confirmed-case-of-coronavirus/ (Wed. March 25 item)

3/26/2020 7:48 am  #63

The virus will continue to spread for the foreseeable future and impacting decisions to restrict activities that include Algonquin Park.  The most recent data for Canada as a country shows three days of substantially higher cases...although this is often correlated with increased testing and many claim the number of un-diagnosed or untested cases is substantially (an order of magnitude, possibly) higher.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/canada/

3/26/2020 2:00 pm  #64

PaPaddler wrote:

The virus will continue to spread for the foreseeable future and impacting decisions to restrict activities that include Algonquin Park.  The most recent data for Canada as a country shows three days of substantially higher cases...although this is often correlated with increased testing and many claim the number of un-diagnosed or untested cases is substantially (an order of magnitude, possibly) higher.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/canada/

Quebec dramatically and publicly changed their criteria for reporting cases a couple of days ago. They shifted from only reporting cases confirmed via laboratory testing to reporting confirmed and presumptive cases based on symptoms. That resulted in an order of magnitude (~10X) increase in the # of cases they are reporting. It won't be possible to meaningfully compare the rate of change again for another few days. 

In the meantime, a good source of statistics that does rely on a consistent process is this page from the Public Health Agency of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/health-professionals/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html?fbclid=IwAR1GHlrDdLgBvDIcOr4T9mh5d9q1o3BIa7yxgcr9ElpF4EVSd8E8m4R5nyU#a2 

That page reports case #s reported through a formal public health reporting channel with specific documentation requirements. It also presents the statistics based on the date of symptom onset. That means if a case is reported today, but the patients symptoms started last week then the case is reported as originating last week. This approach gives a much better idea of whether the rate of new infections has changed. 

At the moment it looks like the daily # of new cases may be stabilizing which is a good thing. Of course a drop in the # of new cases each day would be better. 

3/26/2020 6:45 pm  #65

well...it's been a while since being online.
I was just sitting back thinking I sure am looking forward to my annual spring trout fishing trip, so I thought I would jump on to see what is happening....it didn't occur to me The Park too might be impacted by our current situation.
As a health care worker I am certain I will be looking for an escape by then!
Hopefully things take a turn for the better!
I guess if the Park doesn't open in early May the silver lining would be an uptick in the trout population!

3/28/2020 12:40 pm  #66

Hey all!

Wow I have to say, I've been impressed with the pleasant discussion and awesome attitudes on this. 

Hope you're all maintaining your health and keeping up the positive vibes! 

JB

3/28/2020 11:11 pm  #67

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind some more social distancing at the busier portages. But i’d much rather endure the folks at the portage than have to again encounter the 2 weirdos that were not respecting the 2 m rule and asking us if we were Christians! The look we gave them communicated our thoughts clearly. I think I recognize that these two guys were highlighted in our local paper for harassing women for wearing pants because it’s an abomination! Fun times.

3/29/2020 12:44 pm  #68

joe Scmoe; did you just join to question everything about Covid- 19 and government suggestions?
"=20pxMaybe we travel in different circles but the car campers I know won't be ending up in the Algonquin backcountry. There's no 50amp service and flush toilets!"
seroiusly? you haven't been to Algonquin lately have you? it's already overrun with "car campers" anywhere withing a day's paddle of highway 60, and there are far more people in tents using unserviced sites then there are trailers.
Just like hundreds of people flocked to Conservation Halton parks when they opened the gates, many of whom had never been there in their lives, you'll have the same thing in the interior.
people that want to get out camping will do so regardless of their experience or abilities, putting themselves and others at risk.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.