You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2020 6:48 pm  #1

Backcountry closed until April 30th

Hi all,

https://news.ontario.ca/ene/en/2020/03/ontario-update-on-ontario-parks-operations-in-response-to-covid-19.html

In all its wisdom, the government of Ontario has decided to close all provincial parks including the backcountry. Until April 30th. At the earliest.

Personally, I think is insane. Nevertheless, I am not Archie Belaney, so I don't plan to poach in Algonquin.

Aside from Temagami, does anyone have any other ice out suggestions?

Cheers
Marko

3/19/2020 1:14 am  #2

Re: Backcountry closed until April 30th

Ummm what partisan crap?

He never stated that this was the fault of the liberals or Tory’s etc. Just that government in its wisdom....

Are you referring to the possibility of people blaming a political party?

3/19/2020 7:44 am  #3

I'm not partisan, nor do I blame any party in particular.

However, in light of the fact that backcountry is likely the lowest risk activity one can imagine, it seems excessively heavy-handed to close down.

Furthermore, if the social distancing works, it will mean that the pandemic is going to peak in a year or longer. Does this mean we will keep even the lowest risk activities banned during this time?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/03/18/months-of-school-closures-social-distancing-needed-to-fight-pandemic-u-of-t-research.html

Speaking of science, we should all realize there is very little epidemiological evidence regarding the current outbreak. Here's a very interesting perspective:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

M

3/19/2020 8:37 am  #4

Marko_Mrko wrote:

Hi all,

https://news.ontario.ca/ene/en/2020/03/ontario-update-on-ontario-parks-operations-in-response-to-covid-19.html

In all its wisdom, the government of Ontario has decided to close all provincial parks including the backcountry. Until April 30th. At the earliest.

Personally, I think is insane. Nevertheless, I am not Archie Belaney, so I don't plan to poach in Algonquin.

Aside from Temagami, does anyone have any other ice out suggestions?

Cheers
Marko

Yes I have some other ice out suggestions.  At the moment Crown Land camping is still legal in Ontario so do your research and discover where this Crown Land is.  Hint:  there is some Crown Land just outside the boundary of Algonquin Park that I have camped on before.  And lots of Crown Land for camping on the Coulonge River in the Pontiac which is in Quebec.

Last edited by boknows (3/19/2020 8:41 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

3/19/2020 8:41 am  #5

Thanks Bo. I was thinking Temagami. However, I am re-watching Martin's crown land videos and taking notes this time. 😂

3/19/2020 9:59 am  #6

The below quote is taken from a site called.....Providence.org......which is helping out by making masks for USA health care workers.

"Across the world, new cases of COVID-19 are being reported, and the U.S. has declared a national emergency. However, according to the CDC, the immediate risk of being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to be low for the majority of people."

This quote surprises me what with all the fear and panic that is out there.  Just perhaps Algonquin Park won't be closed for very long!

Last edited by boknows (3/19/2020 10:01 am)

3/19/2020 12:56 pm  #7

Where can we find martins crown land videos??

3/19/2020 1:35 pm  #8

Lukatch wrote:

Where can we find martins crown land videos??

Google PineMartyn on youtube.

3/19/2020 8:29 pm  #9

John doesn't need me to defend him; he does quite well on his own.
And I admit, I don't know John's current status, but I think he is retired.
But previously he would have been on the front medical lines fighting this thing.  He knows what he is talking about.

3/19/2020 10:02 pm  #10

I'm not sure anyone needs to be defended. This is a good discussion, I'm happy to talk and learn.

In terms of my terms... "insane" is an interesting word for sure. It's my preliminary reaction to a government decree that seemed based in dogma and fear, rather than logic and evidence. Perhaps it's a bit dramatic.

There are benefits to any intervention, but there are also harms. Banning all backcountry travel will harm people. People will lose jobs. There may be an increase in anxiety and depression, feeling of isolation. Who knows what will be the long-term effect. At the same time, I don't feel there are any benefits to closing the backcountry in mid-March, and this will do nothing to curb the spread to COVID19.

I am not arguing against a ban in any scenario, I am arguing against a ban right now.

I drove by a playground today - there were 20 kids there, and additional accompanying adults. Monkey bars, all sorts of equipment and close personal contact.

There are more effective and important targets than Big Trout Lake on the last Saturday in April. I agree with personal sacrifices for the greater good. But let's make rational, evidence-based decisions - not ones that are easy and readily available.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.