You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2020 9:09 am  #1

Kayak Camper: Big Crow Fire Tower Trail

Hot on the heels of part one, my 5-day trip with Alex concludes with this video, which takes us from Burntroot to La Muir, to Big Crow and back to Opeongo. 

It was my first time up the fire tower trail in almost 10 years - I'd forgotten how gorgeous the view is. 

Hope you enjoy it!

3/07/2020 4:12 pm  #2

Re: Kayak Camper: Big Crow Fire Tower Trail

While I mention it in the video, this trip was my first time ever paddling a pack boat and I have to say - I was pleasantly surprised. Mind you I was paddling it on a nice calm day, so I'd still like to find out what it's like paddling into a strong crosswind before I get too enthusiastic. But I could see kayak camper becoming pack boat camper... one day. Maybe. 

3/07/2020 5:36 pm  #3

just got around to watching this, great video, as always.

You should have Alex do the intro every time, that was pretty funny. I’m also a big fan of Throw rocks at stick, and that view from the fire tower trail is making me regret not taking the time to hike it when I passed through a couple years ago. All the more reason to go back I guess!

3/09/2020 8:01 am  #4

The last time I visited the Big Crow lookout area was in the late 80's or early 90's, when the tower was still there and you could climb up.  I went with two guys I had been in scouts with, we were in our early 20's, and the dad of one of the guys, who was late fifties I guess.  He loved Algonquin, and we thought the world of him.  

That day was a bit misty, so the rungs on the ladder were slick.  The three of us in our twenties had this hedging conversation geeee, that looks pretty slick, eventually working it up to a group decision not to climb the thing.  We had to build to it because nobody wanted to be the coward (Including me and I'm not exactly great about heights, ladders, etc.).  

Then Mr. K. comes over, enthusiastic as usual.  "You going up?"  The three of us: "I dunno, no I guess not, its pretty slick."  Mr. K: "Well, I'm going up".  And he headed straight for the ladder, leaving the three of us standing there looking down kicking stones, shifting our feet....and knowing that we were going up the ladder because we felt shamed by a fearless old guy (I'm in my mid-50's now, doesn't seem so old, but to a 20-year old, I'm a geezer).  Up we went.  If you have a heights issue, you know the feeling.  If you don't, your arms and legs feel like rubber on every rung, and since it was wet?  Ugh.  One section had round rungs, re-bar I guess (very slick-feeling), the other section had a flat edges (not as slick-feeling).  And the tower was about sixty feet off the ground?  Felt like a mile.  The entrance into the tower was nasty.  The ladder went right up to this square cut-out hole in the bottom of the watchtower, and stopped right there.  So you get to the tower, and there are zero handholds.  You just spraddled your arms out on this smooth floor and worked your way in, hoping your feet continued to get rungs and trying not to fall backward, and there's not a bone in your body.  Makes my legs turn to rubber right now thinking about it.  Coming down was a million times worse, because you were sticking your feet blindly down into oblivion, your arms with nothing to hold on to or to brace yourself, hoping you would find that first rung by feel (which was down a little ways more than you'd think).  The two times I ever climbed that thing I felt like Gumby.

BUT - the view was terrific.

3/09/2020 8:48 am  #5

Great videos Bob (and Alex)! This time of year especially appreciated.  A great TR is a welcome reminder of what the season holds in store.  Looks like some really nice weather as well.

3/09/2020 4:59 pm  #6

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

Up we went.  If you have a heights issue, you know the feeling.  If you don't, your arms and legs feel like rubber on every rung, and since it was wet?  Ugh.  One section had round rungs, re-bar I guess (very slick-feeling), the other section had a flat edges (not as slick-feeling).  And the tower was about sixty feet off the ground?  Felt like a mile.  The entrance into the tower was nasty.  The ladder went right up to this square cut-out hole in the bottom of the watchtower, and stopped right there.  So you get to the tower, and there are zero handholds.  You just spraddled your arms out on this smooth floor and worked your way in, hoping your feet continued to get rungs and trying not to fall backward, and there's not a bone in your body.  Makes my legs turn to rubber right now thinking about it.  Coming down was a million times worse, because you were sticking your feet blindly down into oblivion, your arms with nothing to hold on to or to brace yourself, hoping you would find that first rung by feel (which was down a little ways more than you'd think).  The two times I ever climbed that thing I felt like Gumby.

BUT - the view was terrific.

This was great. Made my legs rubbery just thinking about it.

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (3/09/2020 5:02 pm)

3/12/2020 9:43 am  #7

I've missed your videos. . . . . . . . .  THANKS!!!!

3/12/2020 2:08 pm  #8

Is the tower still standing.  Haven't been to the area since 2014.

3/12/2020 5:17 pm  #9

@Drew: I've been through Big Crow half a dozen times without hiking the trail. It would have been 6+1 without Alex - once I get on my campsite I don't want to move. But he wanted to hike it, and so we did - and I'm glad we did. It's not that terrible of a climb and the view is just stunning. 
"Throw Rock at Stick" is definitely a game I would play again. Maybe I'll even hit the stick eventually!

@Moosewhizzer: that's an awesome story. The tower's still there, but the rungs are definitely not. 

@GordK: thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

@oldboyscout: Thank you! If I get around to it, I still have one more to put out before camping season starts again. I've become a terribly procrastinator. 

@Shayne: yup, still there. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.