You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2020 11:41 pm  #1

One lake to quarantine, which one, why, and how'd you do it?

Probably set up shop on David Lake island. It's nice, offers enough shelter, and not many people would pass through to Mubwayaka and beyond. My own relatively private quarantine. Stash a years worth of canned/dry goods hidden at the Mag access and re-up on supplies every week or so. Only about 4hrs round trip, not too bad.

If you bring whiskey I'll let you take over the north shore campsite.

Once Rangers start to catch on that Algonquin has become a quarantine hotspot, I grab my remaining supplies from Mag and relocate into the bush, never to be seen again. Until quarantine is done, then you can find me back at David Island because hey, it's a nice site.

Where are y'all going?

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

3/12/2020 5:11 am  #2

Re: One lake to quarantine, which one, why, and how'd you do it?

big crow cabin would suit my needs just fine,,, great spot to hide out , wood stove, bunks, roof over head, spring water too,,,  how do you like your moose steak,,rare, medium or well done? what you like fries with that?

3/12/2020 7:03 am  #3

Robinson Lake. Same ideas as TrippyThings except I wont need to re-up on food supplies as I'd be guaranteed fish. 

3/12/2020 7:07 am  #4

Interesting topic as I have often day dreamed about doing something like this.

White Partridge Lake at the "meadow" would do me just fine.  I would drive in, drop off all my supplies, and then drive back out.  Then, I would get on my mountain bike and pedal back in.  Nice long sandy beach, spring water, great fishing, lakes nearby that are all excellent fishing lakes for specks, and roads to travel by foot to keep in shape.  When supplies run out, I would bike back to car and resupply in Petawawa and start the whole process all over again.  Of course, I would need my Indian Status Card (and I am sure I could get one if I want) to make it legal to drive in to the "meadow".  TV is possible as I remember watching an NHL hockey game many years ago at the "meadow".  I am sure I would have company especially during the month of May as the "meadow" turns into a small community.  Yes, what a life!!!!

Last edited by boknows (3/12/2020 7:09 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

3/12/2020 7:55 am  #5

swedish pimple wrote:

big crow cabin would suit my needs just fine,,, great spot to hide out , wood stove, bunks, roof over head, spring water too,,,  how do you like your moose steak,,rare, medium or well done? what you like fries with that?

​That's some premium territory you're occupying

ATVenture wrote:

Robinson Lake. Same ideas as TrippyThings except I wont need to re-up on food supplies as I'd be guaranteed fish. 

​What about toilet paper!!!

boknows wrote:

Interesting topic as I have often day dreamed about doing something like this.....

White Partridge Lake at the "meadow" would do me just fine.  I would drive in, drop off all my supplies, and then drive back out.  Then, I would get on my mountain bike and pedal back in.  Nice long sandy beach, spring water, great fishing, lakes nearby that are all excellent fishing lakes for specks, and roads to travel by foot to keep in shape.  When supplies run out, I would bike back to car and resupply in Petawawa and start the whole process all over again.  Of course, I would need my Indian Status Card (and I am sure I could get one if I want) to make it legal to drive in to the "meadow".  TV is possible as I remember watching an NHL hockey game many years ago at the "meadow".  I am sure I would have company especially during the month of May as the "meadow" turns into a small community.  Yes, what a life!!!!

I can tell you've definitely thought about this 

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

3/12/2020 4:39 pm  #6

Shippagew.

Beautiful lake with a single great campsite (not counting the overflow site).  Tons of untouched wilderness to forage wood and logs.  Easy access to multiple rivers flowing through the park with decent fishing nearby.  I've found some berry bushes on portages down the TIm.  Pretty bushy area with a lot of animal traffic - if hunting became a necessity it wouldn't be difficult to find meat.  

That being said, I wouldn't mind being stuck anywhere in the woods right now.  

3/12/2020 4:59 pm  #7

Devine Lake. I think it’s far enough and off the beaten path.

@trippythings: Now that school is out you may see a large uptake in youth groups heading to your island and they may just invade your space. Everyone of these kids is an asymptomatic infected vector who'll bring the contagion to us older folk who will die off like flies. even If they don’t venture up to David Lake you’ll meet them on the first portage out of Magnetawan, which is busier than rush hour at Union Station. Please reconsider your bug out location.

My current plan hinges on Canada cancelling all inbound flights so I’ll be stuck here on Grand Bahama Island with the practically empty beaches. I have my family, my MEC Guide Tarp, and we can hunt for Conch and roast them over the open fire.

I think I need more toilet paper!

Last edited by solos (3/13/2020 4:07 pm)

3/14/2020 7:32 pm  #8

Nice picture of the GBI beach Solos.  The upside of that spot is the better weather.  Of course I don't love the cold like some people.

3/15/2020 9:02 pm  #9

GordK wrote:

Nice picture of the GBI beach Solos.  The upside of that spot is the better weather.  Of course I don't love the cold like some people.

(Un?)fortunately we arrived back in Canada yesterday without incident. Supposedly the powers that be suggest I self isolate for 2 weeks because I travelled internationally but I think it’s more concerning that these powers think that domestic travel is fine. Yesterday Canada had about 250 confirmed cases and Bahamas had zero.

When I was there I loved the natural beauty and thought that it would be easy to slip off into a remote part  of the “bush” for a tropical camping experience. With a sea kayak you could explore numerous remote and uninhabited cays. But you’d have to be careful because there is an old law that was written to get rid of all the hippies doing the above.

Last edited by solos (3/15/2020 9:19 pm)

3/15/2020 9:16 pm  #10

John Connelly wrote:

Anywhere in the Gonq ... where dehydrated spam is allowed , with no need for hoarding toilet paper ... once you have enjoyed this feast .. yer more than likely reaching fer birch bark , leaves ... or yesterdays socks .
No cans allowed ... but easy prep before .
Slice the spam into 1/4 inch , throw it into the toaster oven @ 350 fer twenty mins .
Then into the dehydrator fer 3-4 hrs .. @ 180 .
Rehydrate at campsite ...then throw it into a steamy pot of fresh KD .

KD is both the ultimate camp food and food for the current apocalypse. Yesterday, after flying back to Canada, I checked my inventory and it stood at 35 boxes. I’ll run out of milk and butter before finishing all that but then I’ll revert to eating it the way my mom prepared it when I was a kid. Straight up cooked noodles and sprinkle the cheese powder package on top. My brother and I used to fight over that cheese package. I was 12 when I read the package myself and prepared it properly and added in a few Kraft cheese slices and some sliced up hotdogs toasted in the toaster oven. Yum yum.

3/16/2020 7:59 am  #11

Clara Lake, with the option to canoe or backpack there (always a way in and out). A beautiful spot far enough from the trailheads to get away from others and not on a typical canoe route. If the fishing is awful, McCraney is less than 1.2 km's away via portage. If things get really out of hand with others migrating in and crashing camp, there's the option to bushwhack off the south portage trail to either Lulu or Guide Lake to make a further go of it... 

3/18/2020 5:04 am  #12

hiker72 wrote:

Clara Lake, with the option to canoe or backpack there (always a way in and out). A beautiful spot far enough from the trailheads to get away from others and not on a typical canoe route. If the fishing is awful, McCraney is less than 1.2 km's away via portage. If things get really out of hand with others migrating in and crashing camp, there's the option to bushwhack off the south portage trail to either Lulu or Guide Lake to make a further go of it... 

Clara is a nice lake! Good choice. Following the same theory, we'll be on Brown Lake.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.