You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2020 8:00 pm  #18

Re: Using a Fish Finder in a Canoe

This is what you want.
https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/fish-finders/fishin-buddy/fishin-buddy-max

I have one but it's an older, black and white display. Quickly clamps on and off your canoe. Transducer is at the end of the long rod. Nothing to attach to the bottom of the boat. Runs off 8 AA batteries. You will get days and days off of one set. A bit awkward to pack but not super heavy. Love mine.

2/27/2020 7:12 pm  #19

I think this is the one I'm currently using.:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/134498?productVariantId=349578&gclid=CjwKCAiA7t3yBRADEiwA4GFlI0eiAXrDGnK0N1z38pDJ54pdQml_RpSZVxASJDQiEVwMaXuKkXypNRoCUt0QAvD_BwE

Suction cup mount for the transponder, and ya you should pull it up before grinding it on the bottom, but it just gets pushed around if you forget. 

That one has a rechargeable battery but the previous one used 8 AA's and would last me a season on a set of batteries. 

They are most useful for showing the depth and letting you troll underwater contour lines. 

2/28/2020 12:05 pm  #20

RobW wrote:

I think this is the one I'm currently using.:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/134498?productVariantId=349578&gclid=CjwKCAiA7t3yBRADEiwA4GFlI0eiAXrDGnK0N1z38pDJ54pdQml_RpSZVxASJDQiEVwMaXuKkXypNRoCUt0QAvD_BwE

Suction cup mount for the transponder, and ya you should pull it up before grinding it on the bottom, but it just gets pushed around if you forget. 

That one has a rechargeable battery but the previous one used 8 AA's and would last me a season on a set of batteries. 

They are most useful for showing the depth and letting you troll underwater contour lines. 

I bought this exact model from crappy tire this summer to use in my 12ft setup.  Great little fish finder!

3/05/2020 10:24 pm  #21

I reccomend the garmin striker 4. They make a portable kit that comes with everything you need to use it on your canoe and for ice fishing. I use one and it works great.

5/02/2022 1:35 pm  #22

you can shoot a helix ice fishing transducer straight through the hull of a canoe, jump the sensitivity up a couple points and youre ready to rock.

5/16/2022 11:37 am  #23

campin4life wrote:

you can shoot a helix ice fishing transducer straight through the hull of a canoe, jump the sensitivity up a couple points and youre ready to rock.

This is what I do.
I make a little donut with some ductseal putty on the floor of the canoe, fill it with water and drop the ice ducer in it.
When I'm done the trip the duct seal comes out to be used another time.

8/08/2022 12:49 pm  #24

breed85 wrote:

campin4life wrote:

This is what I do.
I make a little donut with some ductseal putty on the floor of the canoe, fill it with water and drop the ice ducer in it.
When I'm done the trip the duct seal comes out to be used another time.

Seconded.  I also made a little battery box out of a tupperware and close the lid onto a mesh zip bag that stores the transducer and cables for portages.  Ram mounted to the thwart. Stays on the whole trip.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.