You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2015 8:33 pm  #1

Minnesing Trail in Winter?

Has anyone used part of, or done the Minnesing trail in the winter?  Just wondering how much use it gets seeing as it is more of a back country skiing trail.   I've never done the trail but would consider it for a future winter idea.

11/18/2015 9:23 am  #2

Re: Minnesing Trail in Winter?

My husband skied the shortest loop just to try it out a few years ago. He describes it as an adventure. There were creeks and bare spots he had to side step around but he says it was fun and he wants to do it again. This was march break so that would effect conditions.

11/18/2015 1:23 pm  #3

This used to be a well maintained ski trail but my understanding is that the park didn't have enough funds to maintain it in recent years.   It would be nice to see more people using the ski trails in Algonquin but the driving distance from Huntsville seems to be a big turn off for most people.   The Fen Lake trail at the West Gate would be about 45 minutes from Huntsville,  perhaps 60 minutes to Minnesing and 90 minutes to the Leaf Lake trail system.   Arrowhead park which is just a few minutes north of Huntsville is very popular with skiers though in my opinion the trails there are not as interesting as any of the trails in Algonquin.

11/18/2015 2:55 pm  #4

According to the Algonquin site, only the Minnesing ski trail is "ungroomed". And is the only one where snowshoes are allowed.

Fen and Leaf Lake trails are groomed.  And have shelters.  Nice looking one on the Leaf Lake trail.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/recreational_activites/leaf-lake-ski-trail.php

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/recreational_activites/fen-lake-ski-trail.php

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/recreational_activites/minnesing-wilderness-ski-trail.php

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

11/18/2015 6:33 pm  #5

Leaf lake trail is nice. We checked out dees cabin last winter. It was really nice.

Arrowhead charges extra for the use of their ski trails on top of your day permit. I can't remember the exact amount but I think for a family pass it was something like $75 for a day (might include park day pass).  We didn't ski that day just skated on their ice trail.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression the minnising trail didn't allow snowshoeing on the actual trail. There's a separate trail that links up to the road going to the boat launch on Cannisbay. We did it a few years back, crossed the lake and made our way back through the campground and back toward the boat launch to the trail. We had hoped to snowshoe on the minnising and were disappointed to find out we couldn't. Still a fun day but the kids wanted to get the patch for it  lol.

11/18/2015 10:35 pm  #6

The Pinetree loop in the Leaf Lake trail network is my favourite.   It is supposed to be one of the most challenging cross country ski trails in Southern Ontario.   The cabin high up on a ridge gives a great view towards the Galeairy Lake and Whitney area.

11/18/2015 11:41 pm  #7

Flybites wrote:

I may be wrong but I was under the impression the minnising trail didn't allow snowshoeing on the actual trail. There's a separate trail that links up to the road going to the boat launch on Cannisbay. We did it a few years back, crossed the lake and made our way back through the campground and back toward the boat launch to the trail. We had hoped to snowshoe on the minnising and were disappointed to find out we couldn't. Still a fun day but the kids wanted to get the patch for it lol.

From the Algonquin website:

The Minnesing Trail is located on the north side of Highway 60, 23 km from the West Gate. The Minnesing Trail has four loops ranging in distance from 6 to 32 kilometres. The trail is maintained for backcountry wilderness skiing and is not groomed. Proper equipment for deep snow is required. Snowshoes are permitted on this trail.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/recreational_activites/minnesing-wilderness-ski-trail.php

Barbara

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

11/19/2015 6:18 am  #8

Things may have changed since we snow shoes there, but I remember we had been told at the west gate that we could snowshoe on the minnising only to get to the parking area and see a sign telling us there was a separate trail for it. Also skiiers in the parking lot told us off for heading towards the main trail. Like I said this was a while ago, maybe 5 years?  That might have changed or we were given bad info by the skiiers that day.   I can understand them not wanting snowshoe tracks where they are going to ski just because it  makes ruts and holes in the trail.  So maybe they led us astray?  I hope so because we would really like to do that trail on snowshoes.

11/19/2015 8:11 am  #9

Print out that info from the Algonquin website, and take it with you.

If anyone gives you the gears, whip it out and tell them to schuss off.

Barbara

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

11/19/2015 8:37 am  #10

Thanks guys.  The times I've been up that way it doesn't appear as though the trail gets that much use in the winter.  The times I've stopped by and explored that area there has never been fresh ski tracks or anything.  I've noticed that the other two ski trails seem to be much busier (although they cater to a different style of skiing)

12/07/2015 9:09 pm  #11

A few years ago I did a trip on that trail. I skied in about halfway and setup a basecamp off of it and did daytrips from it for a few days.

Since it is ungroomed the conditions vary drastically with use and weather. I was there over the Family Day weekend, probably the busiest time for the trail in the winter. When I got there before the weekend, there were only some very old tracks for the first loop. The last loop had no visible tracks on it at all. By the end of the weekend there had been enough people on all the loops except the outer loop to have a packed trail. I believe only one other group did the outer loop that weekend.

At that time the outer loop had a lot of deadfall and overgrowth on it and was pretty slow. I know the park has listed some maintenance on that loop this past year so it maybe a lot different now.

The trail is definitely different that the two groomed systems and will vary drastically based on conditions (snow levels, freeze-thaws, traffic etc). The terrain is moderate, not too technical but I would want to be a decent skier if going there when the conditions are tricky. The trail is rough enough to pose some risk of snapping lightweight racing skis.

12/07/2015 9:23 pm  #12

Thanks gmcinty I appreciate the info.  Doesn't look like there's going to be any snow for at least the first part of my trip so that's going to make things a bit challenging!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.